Sponsored by:

Just get the black headlights, guys!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 04:04 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Just because both splitters were damaged doesn't mean that the lift didn't prevent damage. I know I need it to pull in my driveway currently without causing damage and going to my brothers house I may need to take a long way around even with the lift. I am going to do my best to avoid the damage you report seeing even on the vehicle with lift. Because it is there doesn't mean the owner knows when to use it... IMO your observation doesn't mean anything without knowing how the damage was incurred...
I know we've beaten this to death, but still I agree completely with your general point. Here's the way I look at it. Pick whatever numbers you like but the idea is the same. 90 times out of 100 you might not need the lift at all. 5 times out of 100 you might scrape/damage the lip or bumper whether you have the lift or not. And 5 times out of 100 you may definitely damage something or be unable to get access somewhere you need to go because you don't have the lift. I bought the lift for those last 5 situations, and the decision has already paid off several times. Given the cost of a replacement bumper, it takes only one time to make the lift look like a bargain.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Plus one Mike I fully agree with your point. I did it because I want to have access to places I want to drive vs. being stuck parking in some weird alley. Second, I don't have time to get things replaced just because I think scrapping the ground is acceptable. Not sure I follow how when you pay 130k plus for a car, and all of a sudden oppppps that's too much here and there. Oh boy what about resale? It's a freaking car load up the way that will make you happy, and enjoy it when it arrives.

I love cars that have nice interiors, and I can care less about radios and gadgets I never would use like park assist or night vision. But hell those red sexy gauges, leather seats, LED's will be looking pretty damn good I would say. By the way my wife thinks it hot(: enjoy what you buy, and don't let anyone talk you off the ledge I would say. If you want a plan wrap that's cool, but some like sprinkles on their ice cream.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:23 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I know we've beaten this to death, but still I agree completely with your general point. Here's the way I look at it. Pick whatever numbers you like but the idea is the same. 90 times out of 100 you might not need the lift at all. 5 times out of 100 you might scrape/damage the lip or bumper whether you have the lift or not. And 5 times out of 100 you may definitely damage something or be unable to get access somewhere you need to go because you don't have the lift. I bought the lift for those last 5 situations, and the decision has already paid off several times. Given the cost of a replacement bumper, it takes only one time to make the lift look like a bargain.
+1

$6000 bumper. I am in the wrong business.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:06 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Some people need the lifter because of their particular situation. My point was if you are getting the lifter only to avoid scraping the splitter you will be sadly disappointed. The splitter will get its fair of scrapes whether you have a lifter or not.

FWIW, $3400 for the lifter isn't bad when you consider it cost close to $10,000 on the 918. It is curious as to why Porsche did not make the lifter standard on their one million dollar car.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:26 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Some people need the lifter because of their particular situation. My point was if you are getting the lifter only to avoid scraping the splitter you will be sadly disappointed. The splitter will get its fair of scrapes whether you have a lifter or not. FWIW, $3400 for the lifter isn't bad when you consider it cost close to $10,000 on the 918. It is curious as to why Porsche did not make the lifter standard on their one million dollar car.
Nick--also, if you look on Suncoast, the clear LED side markers on the 918 retail for $787!!! Just crazy.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:27 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Amaranth red was available for the 2014 model year, but it was a "special" colour which costed over $3K.

Crappy iphone pic comparing a guards red C2S with aerokit and black lights with an amaranth red GT3 with standard lights:

Hey Valkyrie, Yea, I know about Amaranth red, but not a fan of it though. Not a big fan of metallic reds in general (McLaren's Volcano red being the exception). The red I would love to see on a GT3 is BMW's Imola red or Lotus's ardent red.

Name:  P1030646b-1.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  143.2 KB

Carmine red looks good -

ps. All this should probably go to some PTS thread and we would have Eduardo's awesome input.

Last edited by sunnyr; 07-25-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:30 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Nice looking car. Must be fun to toss around!!
Old 07-25-2014, 06:02 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

White taillights would look good with carmine red... The whole cayman gts look both interior and exterior is my favorite actually
Old 07-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Is this an OEM option or aftermarket purchase?

The only thing I've seen dark are the Cayman rear lights.
DURRRRP, it would help if I read the entire option

" Bi-Xenon™ Headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System"

Thanks Evelyn Woodhead Spad Reeden Coors!

Quick Reply: Just get the black headlights, guys!