Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up my GT3 today! First Impressions (over 700 miles in 1 day)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 07:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^Exactly. This car is not to be driven in the 2000-5000 range. It has to be driven in the 5000-9000 range. This could be the best and last line of NA engines to come out of Porsche and possibly any car manufacturer under 8 cylinders. Precisely why I have hung in here
For spirited driving, sure, but I'll be interested to see what you think once you take delivery and start driving in normal traffic conditions. Given the speed capability of the car in each gear, winding everything out to 5-9K RPM will have you constantly at extra-legal speeds in everything but the first 2 or 3 gears. Fortunately, the engine has surprising flexibility in the lower rev ranges, especially with the shorter gearing, and I find no need to keep it on the boil at all times.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Very nice! I thought with clear tail lights the side markers would be clear also? My 991S has clear tails and sides when I purchased. I ordered white also with clear tails. Keep us updated, and post some interior shots now were all jealous(: interesting break in questions ......my buddy took delivery of an RS on the track back in 2010 and the driver let it rip, and said the car is ready for the track. I guess we will never know the real answers.
Here ya go. I'm not a good at taking pictures person, apologies! Also, notice where my V1 is plugged in. This is only available with the smokers package. GET IT.

Name:  interior 2.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  118.3 KB

Name:  interior 3.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  125.1 KB
Old 07-17-2014, 09:27 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Engeljizzle
So far I am happy with them. Went up and down the mountain twice and didn't feel any brake fade. Very hard bite and they engage high up on the pedal which I am a big fan of. Feel every bit as good as the carbon ceramics on a Zr1 my dad used to own if that gives you an idea. I will let you know after I have taken them to the track and really get to use them.
wow, that's saying something!
I'm still sticking with the PCCB's as I'm used to that ceramic feel, bite and lack of track fade on mine.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:32 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am actually not a huge fan of the clear tail lights and I ordered the original red ones as well as the clear side markers.
I would be interested in your clear tail lights. PM me when they're available
Old 07-17-2014, 11:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,777 Likes on 4,773 Posts

Congrats!

Drive and enjoy in good health.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Mike - I must apologize; I am making assumptions but until I get my GT3 and spend some time in it, myself, I should reserve making those comments. My experience with NA high revving engines is they love to live in the higher rpm ranges. I will even say that my 991 C2S loaner is a good example of a car that loves to work above 5000 rpms. I have heard comments that the C2S was boring and I even made such a claim but as I got to learn the car more it just is a "hoot' of a time when you keep in the high rev ranges.- a completely different car. A different animal compared to my 997.2 Turbo which had a whole different personality.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Mike - I must apologize; I am making assumptions but until I get my GT3 and spend some time in it, myself, I should reserve making those comments. My experience with NA high revving engines is they love to live in the higher rpm ranges. I will even say that my 991 C2S loaner is a good example of a car that loves to work above 5000 rpms. I have heard comments that the C2S was boring and I even made such a claim but as I got to learn the car more it just is a "hoot' of a time when you keep in the high rev ranges.- a completely different car. A different animal compared to my 997.2 Turbo which had a whole different personality.
No reason at all to apologize, Jimmy. You're just expressing your POV, like everyone else on here. There's no question this car loves to rev, but I've found it to also be very responsive and flexible in day to day driving without having to constantly wind it out. Sort of the best of both worlds. I'll genuinely be interested in finding out if your thoughts on this subject change at all once you've had seat time in your own GT3.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:14 AM
991RDC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engeljizzle,

Check the lower passenger side, ahead of your console, lower right of the glove box. You have another power supply for your V1.

All the best!!
Old 07-18-2014, 02:43 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Its amazing for a bike in those mountains! I used to ride my Ducati up there with my buddies once a month. And yes, Orlando has probably 3 roads that are okay (by okay I mean crap compared to GA mountains). Thank god we have Sebring. I am actually moving to CO in the next 2 months. Cant wait!! Too bad my GT3 will sit in the winter a lot but I am not one of those guys who is afraid to drive my car. I clean it properly and do the necessary maintenance to keep my car in tip top shape.

As far as bikes go, I'm probably getting a BMW GS1200 and a then a jeep wrangler once I move over there so I have have fun all year long. I rented the GS last month when I was there and had an absolute blast.

Here is a pic of it stuck in the snow.

Attachment 854023
Congrats. White is he ONLY way to go. Not sure about red Buy my 2014 GSA. It has only 340 miles and on Craigslist. I keep riding the Pikes Peak Ducati Multistrada and GS not getting ANY action.
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
This is why I think the 991 GT3 will stay in my garage for a good spell. B/c of its all around nature means it'll simply get driven more than, say, the other GT3s or Fiats I owned.

Compromised cars, like various Lotuses/996 GT3/997 GT3 RS/etc make great internet dialogue about how hard core you are, but such cars can be tiresome in the long run. Getting world class performance, daily usability, but with the GT3 edginess (compared to regular 911s) still points to the 991 version being a winner b/c it'll get lots of exercise.
100%

Just like the best camera is the one you actually take with you and use.

The best car is the one you actually drive.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:23 AM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Lucky man! You get a pass on that 9k rev too.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:20 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story and experience. Indeed it is the best sport car anyone can buy for less than $150K, or better yet it is the best sport car anyone can buy for less than $300K.

I am really having trouble getting back into my 2013 911 4S and enjoying it. I used to love that car and how it drives and feels until the GT3 came and spoiled that feeling and love for the 911 4S. Now the steering of my 911 4S feels sloppy in comparison and the ride feels too soft and not controlled, etc, etc. I can now spot many flaws of the standard 911 and up to few weeks ago it was one of the best cars I have driven. It is just goes to show you, how well sorted this GT3 and now nothing else feels good enough in comparison. Just saying..... Mark
Old 07-22-2014, 07:22 AM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story and experience. Indeed it is the best sport car anyone can buy for less than $150K, or better yet it is the best sport car anyone can buy for less than $300K.

I am really having trouble getting back into my 2013 911 4S and enjoying it. I used to love that car and how it drives and feels until the GT3 came and spoiled that feeling and love for the 911 4S. Now the steering of my 911 4S feels sloppy in comparison and the ride feels too soft and not controlled, etc, etc. I can now spot many flaws of the standard 911 and up to few weeks ago it was one of the best cars I have driven. It is just goes to show you, how well sorted this GT3 and now nothing else feels good enough in comparison. Just saying..... Mark
i know exactly how you feel. i am having the same experience with my F458 since i drove the 458Speciale....
peter
Old 07-23-2014, 04:03 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by markow
i know exactly how you feel. i am having the same experience with my F458 since i drove the 458Speciale....
peter
Peter, do you own 458 Speciale, or did you just test drive it. I had the pleasure to be a passenger few weeks back in my friend 458 Speciale and from the passenger side, and although not the same as driving the car, it appeared to be a very capable mean, raw machine. Hopefully I get to drive it soon, and get a chance to compare it to the GT3. Mark
Old 07-24-2014, 02:20 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its amazing for a bike in those mountains! I used to ride my Ducati up there with my buddies once a month. And yes, Orlando has probably 3 roads that are okay (by okay I mean crap compared to GA mountains). Thank god we have Sebring. I am actually moving to CO in the next 2 months. Cant wait!! Too bad my GT3 will sit in the winter a lot but I am not one of those guys who is afraid to drive my car. I clean it properly and do the necessary maintenance to keep my car in tip top shape.

As far as bikes go, I'm probably getting a BMW GS1200 and a then a jeep wrangler once I move over there so I have have fun all year long. I rented the GS last month when I was there and had an absolute blast.

Here is a pic of it stuck in the snow.

Attachment 854023

It won't sit as much as you think! Lots of great canyon and mtn roads, and High Plains Raceway is open all year. Occasionally a brief snow will close down a day here and there, but golf and track time are easily 11/12 months.

My delivery won't be until Nov!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Picked up my GT3 today! First Impressions (over 700 miles in 1 day)