Sponsored by:

Real world experience: LED vs. Xenon headlights

Old 07-19-2014, 10:11 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Try this....

Activating and deactivating (on vehicles WITH High Beam Assistant)
The following conditions must be present for High Beam Assistant to activate:

Darkness
Light switch position is selected.
Vehicle speed is more than approx. 37 mph (60 km/h).
High Beam Assistant is activated on the multi-function display in the instrument panel. Please see the chapter "ACTIVATING AND DEACTIVATING HIGH BEAM ASSISTANT" on page 130
Activating: Push the stalk once to the front pressure point 3.
The indicator light lights up on the speedometer. The vehicle automatically selects between low beam and high beam. If high beam is on, the indicator light in the tachometer lights up.
Deactivating: Push the stalk once to the rear pressure point 4.
The High Beam Assistant can only be deactivated when the indicator light in the tachometer is lit.

Activating and deactivating High Beam Assistant
High Beam Assistant can be activated and deactivated.
The settings remain stored when the ignition is switched on/off.
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2014, 02:38 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Try this.... Activating and deactivating (on vehicles WITH High Beam Assistant) The following conditions must be present for High Beam Assistant to activate: Darkness Light switch position is selected. Vehicle speed is more than approx. 37 mph (60 km/h). High Beam Assistant is activated on the multi-function display in the instrument panel. Please see the chapter "ACTIVATING AND DEACTIVATING HIGH BEAM ASSISTANT" on page 130 Activating: Push the stalk once to the front pressure point 3. The indicator light lights up on the speedometer. The vehicle automatically selects between low beam and high beam. If high beam is on, the indicator light in the tachometer lights up. Deactivating: Push the stalk once to the rear pressure point 4. The High Beam Assistant can only be deactivated when the indicator light in the tachometer is lit. Activating and deactivating High Beam Assistant High Beam Assistant can be activated and deactivated. The settings remain stored when the ignition is switched on/off.
I saw this in the "Good to Know" app and don't have that option in my menus...so I have a feeling we don't have the high beam assist on the GT3 with LEDs...very odd and annoying. Can anyone with a GT3 and LED's verify that we are doing something wrong?
Old 07-20-2014, 03:55 AM
sidicks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBH
I saw this in the "Good to Know" app and don't have that option in my menus...so I have a feeling we don't have the high beam assist on the GT3 with LEDs...very odd and annoying. Can anyone with a GT3 and LED's verify that we are doing something wrong?
Yes. This is exactly my point - that menu option is not available on my GT3....
Old 07-20-2014, 03:57 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sidicks
Yes. This is exactly my point - that menu option is not available on my GT3....
Super annoying - this must be a mistake - has to have the same hardware but this must be a software oversight???
Old 07-20-2014, 04:05 AM
sidicks
Advanced

Originally Posted by MJones
Try this....

Activating and deactivating (on vehicles WITH High Beam Assistant)
The following conditions must be present for High Beam Assistant to activate:

Darkness
Light switch position is selected.
Vehicle speed is more than approx. 37 mph (60 km/h).
High Beam Assistant is activated on the multi-function display in the instrument panel. Please see the chapter "ACTIVATING AND DEACTIVATING HIGH BEAM ASSISTANT" on page 130
Activating: Push the stalk once to the front pressure point 3.
The indicator light lights up on the speedometer. The vehicle automatically selects between low beam and high beam. If high beam is on, the indicator light in the tachometer lights up.
Deactivating: Push the stalk once to the rear pressure point 4.
The High Beam Assistant can only be deactivated when the indicator light in the tachometer is lit.

Activating and deactivating High Beam Assistant
High Beam Assistant can be activated and deactivated.
The settings remain stored when the ignition is switched on/off.
Thanks for this - is this taken from your user manual? This is not shown in my manual. Does this work on your car?
Old 07-20-2014, 12:52 PM
sidicks
Advanced

Super annoying - this must be a mistake - has to have the same hardware but this must be a software oversight???

You'd hope it's just a software issue.

On further investigation it seems that US cars only have 'high beam assist' - high beam switched on/off according to traffic on the opposite carriageway / ahead, whereas other jurisdictions have 'dynamic range control' - the light cone is automatically varied according to the road conditions, speed and other traffic.

This appears to be due to some constraints that apply due to existing US laws.

In other words, 'dynamic range control' is a much more sophisticated version of 'high beam assist'.

This doesn't explain why my car doesn't appear to have DRC (or if it does, how to switch it on!).
Old 07-20-2014, 01:11 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I think I have figured out the difference between the LED lights on GT3's and on Turbos. According to the Service Information 2014 Technik Introduction booklets for the GT3 and Turbo, the GT3 option is PDLS (Porsche Dynamic Lighting System) while the Turbo's LED lights are PDLS Plus. The Plus (in the USA, Canada, and Korea) includes the High Beam Assistant, which dips the lights to low beam at 2600 feet when an oncoming vehicle is detected and at 1300 feet when the taillights of a vehicle traveling in front are detected. In other countries, the Plus includes the Dynamic High Beam function which works much as shown in the BMW video linked in Post # 16 of this thread.

Of course, the online configurator says the GT3 LED option is for PDLS Plus. Maybe this is another case of leaving something off on the GT3 such as the memory function for the Adaptive Sport Seats Plus that is included on other 911 models.

Last edited by jfr0317; 07-20-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: additional info added
Old 07-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

^^I bet you're right, John.....
Old 07-20-2014, 02:13 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
^^I bet you're right, John.....
I think so, too.
I am getting a Panamera GTS later today with LED's so I will compare the two...
Old 07-20-2014, 02:16 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I think so, too.
Check to see if you can see a camera in the windshield near the rearview mirror mounting. The High Beam Assistant and Dynamic High Beam use a camera to detect the headlights of oncoming cars and taillights of cars being followed.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:17 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Check to see if you can see a camera in the windshield near the rearview mirror mounting. The High Beam Assistant and Dynamic High Beam use a camera to detect the headlights of oncoming cars and taillights of cars being followed.
Will do and will compare both.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:47 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think so, too.
Please post pics and impressions of the GTS together with your report on headlights as well.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:51 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Please post pics and impressions of the GTS together with your report on headlights as well.
+1!
Old 07-20-2014, 02:55 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Will do! Got it in white with the Alcantara/red stitching and carbon - sedan version of my GT3. Very excited.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:57 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Will do! Got it in white with the Alcantara/red stitching and carbon - sedan version of my GT3. Very excited.
So excited for you, mine arrives in 2-3 weeks. Would love to hear feedback from a GT3 owner

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Real world experience: LED vs. Xenon headlights