Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 07:27 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Paver, I can't be exact but this was his first track outing with his car. He will put up a video with track times up shortly. I'll put a link up when I get it.
thanks. I had a friend there who said the car looked great.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
thanks. I had a friend there who said the car looked great.
Your friend is quite right! The car looked so so nice!
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2014, 09:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Found something interesting when browsing PET for 991 GT3 today. There is a spare emergency wheel option for some markets. Looking at the diagram appears its 5 stuf and uses an adaptor plate. Im sure its an "emergency" fitting. Curious arrangement. Youd need a breaker bar to get the old wheel off and a wheel spanner to get the occasional wheel on but begs the question why cant same arrangement be designed to fit 5 stud to CL hub. Maybe Im missing something and the CL still goes on on top?

That reminds me. Can someone confirm - do we have a jack in our 991 GT3? I dont have mine at hand (nor the manual) to confer....
Attached Images    
Old 08-17-2014, 09:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
That reminds me. Can someone confirm - do we have a jack in our 991 GT3? I dont have mine at hand (nor the manual) to confer....
Macca,

Nope. My 997.2 didn't have one either, nor my 987 Boxster S before that IIRC. I think the last 911 with a jack was my 996 because it also had a space saver spare. Since then it's been tire goop and a compressor, and no jack.....
Old 08-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Mike. Worth knowing. I might pick one up some time. Not much point in having a precision Instruments 600lbft torque wrench in the car (fits perfectly in frunk) and not having a means of lifting the car (I do have a race jack for when at track but not lugging that 40lb thing around touring!). I note the jack part number above is 996 era....
Old 08-17-2014, 09:49 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
I have 19" E07 three piece BBS showing up this week. 9.5 front and 12 rear for 265 & 325 hoosiers. Stock rolling diameter diff is 1.5% and at 26.2F and 26.8R we will be at 2.3% which should be fine for the ABS (anything under 5% should be fine). Other than custom monoblock$ BBS can't match the front offset so its 5mm off but the rear is exactly the same as stock which is important with RWS imo. Rear lower arm bolt needs to be flipped and a different nut put on and there will be enough clearance. You need the clearance as the larger three piece inner barrels flex quite a bit under load. I know the E07 9" inch fronts have been test fit with zero issues so fingers crossed the 9.5's clear everything. You can still run those 265's on a 9 but the 9.5 is better. Will report back what we find!
Nice – love those wheels. I hope 265's up front work ok - would be nice to have some extra meat up there. I look forward to seeing how it works out – please keep us posted.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks Mike. Worth knowing. I might pick one up some time. Not much point in having a precision Instruments 600lbft torque wrench in the car (fits perfectly in frunk) and not having a means of lifting the car (I do have a race jack for when at track but not lugging that 40lb thing around touring!). I note the jack part number above is 996 era....
That jack that came with the 996 was actually a pretty nice piece. It was mostly aluminum and quite light weight. Probably spendy were one to order it, although what isn't from Porsche.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:53 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Thanks for the video. Can't wait. For those watching -- the car sounds a lot better than that audio portrays. The 991 GT3 does not sound like a '97 Boxster. : )
Yeah, it’s an old GoPro, no external mic – sounds MUCH better in person.

I’ll be doing another trackday this coming Thursday and a possibly a Time Attack on Sunday.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:19 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Speaking of things not to bump, I can't agree with no helmet, even a tiny bit of an oops and you can be very dead or wish you were. Gloves won't help much unless you're a hand model and have them for insurance purposes. : )
+991. Wear the helmet! Speeds weren't slow, there's a concrete barrier there, tires can blow, cars can roll ... numerous ways things can go horribly wrong.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:02 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Apologies. This is not an on track video of a GT3 but it is hilarious. it was sent to me by a friend earlier today. It will bring a smile to those who drive DEs.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Apologies. This is not an on track video of a GT3 but it is hilarious. it was sent to me by a friend earlier today. It will bring a smile to those who drive DEs.

http://youtu.be/b7iUKaPlBl8
That is a classic. Not a smile -- a real laugh out loud aching belly the first few times I watched it.

Having helped out with logistics at track days since the 80's, well, some things never change.

"That is how I drive. Flat out."

I believe I've seen T-shirts ...
Old 08-20-2014, 10:37 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
I will start of by stating that I'm no track junkie (yet) but have done only a few track days and courses. Always in 911's. So apologies for the non-technical nature of my descriptions.

I spent the morning at Barber and was driven for 10 laps in my friends GT3 at full blown performance speeds! All I can say is that this car defies the laws of physics like no other! Taking S' at 90mph and not even breaking a sweat or the car doing something strange. No twitching, no drama! The car was staggeringly composed. The tires appear to be the only compromising factor. The RWS and it's effect on the dynamics of the car has to be experienced to be believed! It was incredibly well planted and the ride, during aggressive track driving, was comfortable enough to not have the passenger hang on to handles for dear life! I loved it!!! My friend, who is a scca instructor said this. GT3 has surpassed his every expectation. I have NO reason to doubt that this has to be one of the best, if not the best, sports car in the world!

Btw, I am going for the steel brakes but the ceramics really do look like the dogs danglies! Awesome!
I was at Barber and saw this car out on track a couple times in the red group. It looked terrific and sounded even better. It also appeared to be very composed through the corners. I spoke to the owner briefly and I believe he said he was turning 1:43’s. That’s a very good lap time for a brand new car that the owner was probably not driving at the absolute limit, on stock tires, in extremely hot conditions (air temps at track level were near 100F).
Old 08-20-2014, 11:11 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
I was at Barber and saw this car out on track a couple times in the red group. It looked terrific and sounded even better. It also appeared to be very composed through the corners. I spoke to the owner briefly and I believe he said he was turning 1:43’s. That’s a very good lap time for a brand new car that the owner was probably not driving at the absolute limit, on stock tires, in extremely hot conditions (air temps at track level were near 100F).
fb, 1:43's about right . The owner is a good friend and you're right about him not pushing really hard as it's a new car etc. Yes it was a blistering hot day! I went out with him in the morning and even then it was well into the 90's. The car was fabulous in every way!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:44 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

So per Trackar's request, I posting a video with hands visible (at least one of them) but the other one moves in sync

I've only had two sessions on this track before, so taking it easy and learning for now.

I am still not used to the brakes in this car, especially when threshold-braking, so I ended up decelerating the car too much for most turns. Also, the car was a bit too loose. I had to be rather careful with power application. Also, in Turn 2 (the first hairpin in the video) the car would rotate very easily – more throttle or even more steering would make the rear slide out. Maybe it was because I was running with new front tires and rears that have about 2 easy days left in them (both stock PSC2).

But all in all it was a good day. I broke just few hundreds under 1:40 on the fastest lap, which was my goal for the day. It also happened to be the last lap of the session I “stole” going with another group when my sessions were over – so I barely squeezed it in . Of course Alan (not sure what’s his handle on Rennlist) informed me it’s nothing to be excited about, but I look at it this way – I was just 3 seconds slower than Randy Pobst when he reviewed the 997.2 RS, on a completely new to me track and relatively new to me car, with a restrictor placed on exhaust (it probably takes away some power). Looking at datalog, I see that I can get 3+ seconds by just braking later/less for several turns. So I’m happy about the result.

I discovered one strange issue with PDK in Auto. I was running with all nannies on that day (new to me track), and on exit of the last turn, shift from 2 to 3 causes wheelspin, which in turn causes brief traction control intervention and rapid upshift to 4th and then 5th gear. The fix was to modulate the throttle on around the upshift – going full throttle on turn exit, and then letting off a bit before 2-3 upshift. That worked fine. I had wheel spin before but never experienced this rapid-fire upshift behavior. Maybe it’s some kind of “ice mode” for transmission programming?

And for locals – the sound solution for Laguna Seca works well on a 90dB day. I will experiment with making it progressively less restrictive till it fails the sound.

As always, any advice on driving is welcome.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:05 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Max, thanks for thinking of me :-)
If you really want to impress me throw a VBox in it please, C'mon it will help you tremendously along with a coach for a weekend or 2!!

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.