Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bucket seat installed

Old 07-03-2014, 05:46 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 560 Posts
Default Bucket seat installed

I finally got a bucket seat installed. Went for Sparco Ergo, mostly because of removable halo, but also because I like their high-grip fabric and the shape of lumbar area a bit better than Recaro's

The install went smoothly, thanks to experienced tech. Basically they used porsche motorsport rails and aluminium recaro seat mounts (they fit better than Sparco's native). No issues at all. Still have very smooth back and foward adjustment, full range, but no height adjustment anymore. The current height seems perfect for me though, so it's not an issue.

Getting in is easy. Getting out is more of a problem because my left leg gets stuck between side of the seat and the steering wheel. I do not want to rub on the wheel hard every time I get out, so I may slide seat back a bit to do so.

The airbag light is on because there is no thorax airbag. THat's one of the reasons I kept stock passenger seat - I'm fine taking potentially increased risk myself, but do not want it for passengers. No chimes or any other irritations, so I can just ignore the light.

One unexpected side-effect is that the car feel MUCH stiffer now. I did not realize how much the sock seat was cushioning me. Even thought the seat is comfortable enough for long journeys for me, the added viration will increase fatigue for sure. I am planning to drive for about 4 hours tomorrow and 7 hours on saturday, so I will report back on that.

Otherwise, it's very comfortable and nice. I wish the seat had nicer upholstery. It' looks very cheap compared to stock seat. But that's minor.

Sorry, no pics right now - was in a rush since I picked it up. But here is a pic of the most exciting BART pick up I ever had:

Last edited by MaxLTV; 07-18-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:10 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice and thanks for the mini-review! Looking forward to the pics. My mechanic (Porsche Master Mechanic) told me before that there is a way to deactivate the airbag light, so I wonder if that applied to the 997 only.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on your bucket seat Max. Hope you get to enjoy it.

Very interesting observations about the buckets. I had quite a different take on the comfort (in the link below).

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...t-seats-2.html post #26
Old 07-03-2014, 09:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

See you Thursday at THill.

Pleeaase.....
Old 07-03-2014, 09:58 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Pleeaase.....
I'd be happy to (and I'm ok with letting trustworthy individuals drive the car). But I got to be at work on Thursday . I will be at Thill this Saturday and next Saturday and maybe Sunday. I have not even seen the map of the long track yet, so it's going to be entertaining.

But the seat is too small for you to fit anyway - anyone over 6' would touch the ceining and block the belt pass-throughs. Removing bottom cushion is not a bit helper either - it's less than an inch thick.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:06 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I'd be happy to (and I'm ok with letting trustworthy individuals drive the car). But I got to be at work on Thursday . I will be at Thill this Saturday and next Saturday and maybe Sunday. I have not even seen the map of the long track yet, so it's going to be entertaining.

But the seat is too small for you to fit anyway - anyone over 6' would touch the ceining and block the belt pass-throughs. Removing bottom cushion is not a bit helper either - it's less than an inch thick.
TRAKCAR is trustworthy. He has driven my RS around Sebring. Total gentleman.
Would love to know what he thinks of the PDK..... we might lure him to the dark side yet!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I won't fit but Chasen would put in the OEM seat and I'll be ar autoclub sat+sun
Where do you work so I can call in a bomb threat?
Old 07-03-2014, 10:18 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I forgot about the airbag light on my passenger side being that it sat for so long before it got picked up for the engine replacement.

Coming from another highly modified car, I'm used to all kinds of warning lights on my dash.

I'm not sure what kind of experience you have, but if you ever require a check out ride or instructor at a DE event, most clubs require similar/equal restraint and seating for both driver and passenger.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:50 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Nice, Max! Post pics when you get a chance!
Old 07-04-2014, 04:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

I finally got a bucket seat installed. Went for Sparco Ergo, mostly because of removable halo, but also because I like their high-grip fabric and the shape of lumbar area a bit better than Recaro's

The install went smoothly, thanks to experienced tech. Basically they used porsche motorsport rails and aluminium recaro seat mounts (they fit better than Sparco's native). No issues at all. Still have very smooth back and foward adjustment, full range, but no height adjustment anymore. The current height seems perfect for me though, so it's not an issue.

Getting in is easy. Getting out is more of a problem because my left leg gets stuck between side of the seat and the steering wheel. I do not want to rub on the wheel hard every time I get out, so I may slide seat back a bit to do so.

The airbag light is on because there is no thorax airbag. THat's one of the reasons I kept stock passenger seat - I'm fine taking potentially increased risk myself, but do not want it for passengers. No chimes or any other irritations, so I can just ignore the light.

One unexpected side-effect is that the car feel MUCH stiffer now. I did not realize how much the sock seat was cushioning me. Even thought the seat is comfortable enough for long journeys for me, the added viration will increase fatigue for sure. I am planning to drive for about 4 hours tomorrow and 7 hours on saturday, so I will report back on that.

Otherwise, it's very comfortable and nice. I wish the seat had nicer upholstery. It' looks very cheap compared to stock seat. But that's minor.

Sorry, no pics right now - was in a rush since I picked it up. But here is a pic of the most exciting BART pick up I ever had:
thx for trusting me on the rail selection. if you did sparco or recaro rails, you will be using many four letter beep words by now.

the light can be killed by the latest piwis. i am sure dealer has it. see if you can bribe them.

the seat does increase NVH but you will get used to it. car feels more sporty that way. i have recaro in all my cars.

feel free to work on thursday.
i just need you to pay me $450 for the track time. and i will gladly exercise the red car for ya

peter, you wont fit. i bring hacksaw and take off parts below your knee. its pkd, no need for lower extremieties. just set CC.

or i drive, you sit on passenger side.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:37 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Pleeaase.....
Peter, you're willing to be seen driving a red GT3?!!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:50 AM
sebearstian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For NVH, i wonder if the original bucket seats are any better compared to this?
Old 07-04-2014, 10:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

If airbag light is on does the passenger side air bag still work along with the driver side steering wheel air bag?....or if this side Thorax air bag is disconnected doe the entire air bag system do down and not work?
Old 07-04-2014, 11:14 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Peter, you're willing to be seen driving a red GT3?!!
LOL, I don't mind wrong colors on other peoples cars
Good one Mike, can you have yours with OEM seats at Thill or Autoclub
Old 07-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

LOL, I don't mind wrong colors on other peoples cars
Good one Mike, can you have yours with OEM seats at Thill or Autoclub
Peter, I'm still about 6K miles from Thunderhill and hoping to be home to pick up the car next week. Unfortunately, I'm also one of those dinosaurs who still believe in "extended" break-in although I bet you'd be willing to help with that...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bucket seat installed