Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 turbo cab vs 991 GT3

Old 06-27-2014, 09:40 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdList
Honestly, I am sort of doing the same thing. I will save a lot of depreciation by trading the TTS now and buying the GT3. My plan is to drive it for a little while and if I don't love it I will then order a face-lifted 991 TTS. You can always get a TTS-GT3 not so much.
Once you drive the GT3 there is no going back to TT. Been there done that.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:42 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Once you drive the GT3 there is no going back to TT. Been there done that.
+1
Old 06-27-2014, 10:10 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
+1
Hey Sam,

Mike from CA advised that I might ask your opinion on this. So I gotta admit that I love the rush of power in the TTS but I also liked the NA feel of my C2S. I have gotten such mixed reviews from people I know who have driven the GT3 (991).

My concerns are:

Will I miss the power? How much does the car feel like a C2S until you are really tearing it up? I hear it is quite tame (not a good thing-I want a "racy" feeling car that wants to run). I did not like how slow the C2S felt after coming out of an F10 M5. I did like the overall feel of the C2S however and I ended up buying it after 2 full months of test drives that it took me to "get" the car, which in my book is crazy. I usually know in the first few minutes if I love a car but I didn't get that feel from the C2S. I just wanted to love it so much that I kept going back until I understood how you were supposed to drive it. I had some turbo fever to get over I suppose.. Ultimately, I was hooked once I finally "got it". In fact, in some ways, I sort of miss the C2S still. But again, that TTS turbo RUSH is pretty intoxicating and a lot of fun. It's pretty confidence inspiring. I am not a track guy. Never tracked a car in my life. However, after visiting the track twice in the last couple of weeks for the first time and watching a friend run, I'll admit that I am tempted.

I would love for both of you guys to chime in on this and tell me which TT/TTS you came out of and what GT3 you ended up with.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by ColdList; 06-28-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:55 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Hey Sam,

Mike from CA advised that I might ask your opinion on this. So I gotta admit that I love the rush of power in the TTS but I also liked the NA feel of my C2S. I have gotten such mixed reviews from people I know who have driven the GT3 (991).

My concerns are:

Will I miss the power? How much does the car feel like a C2S until you are really tearing it up? I hear it is quite tame (not a good thing-I want a "racy" feeling car that wants to run). I did not like how slow the C2S felt after coming out of an F10 M5. I did like the overall feel of the C2S however and I ended up buying it after 2 full months of test drives that it took me to "get" the car, which in my book is crazy. I usually know in the first few minutes if I love a car but I didn't get that feel from the C2S. I just wanted to love it so much that I kept going back. until I understood how you were supposed to drive it. I had some turbo fever to get over I suppose.. Ultimately, I was hooked once I finally "got it". In fact, in some ways, I sort of miss the C2S still. But again, that TTS turbo RUSH is pretty intoxicating and a lot of fun. It's pretty confidence inspiring. I am not a track guy. Never tracked a car in my life. However, after visiting the track twice int eh last couple of weeks for the first time and watching a friend run, I'll admit that I am tempted.

I would love for both of you guys to chime in on this and tell me which TT/TTS you came out of and what GT3 you ended up with.

Thanks,

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for asking. I fully understand the Turbo rush. I test drove the TTS for less than 300 yards then decided I wanted it, bad. It is by far the fastest accelerating car I have ever driven and you can't deny that rush. I took it to the track and it was a beast. My wife loved it; very comfy, great stereo, fast and QUITE! What? Yeah, she liked that and it was the biggest thing I disliked about the TTS. Since I was on the GT3 list, when the car I spec'd arrived, I promptly swapped.

I do not regret it!! Heck, I got tired of the TTS after two months. I drove the GT3 for 2 months and waited (still waiting) for four months to get it back. It is that good. Going from C4S to a TTS was a massive power upgrade. Going from a TTS to a GT3 felt like NO power downgrade. That car is fast accelerating and as you know, it probably churns close to 500hp, not 475. That, plus the lighter weight and the sound (oh, the sound), it feels faster that the TTS. The engine chatters at idle and as you accelerate, the sound gets better with each additional 1,000 RPM. The shifts sound and feel like a race car (OK, so I've never been in a race car so I don't know how it feels but it sure sounds like one, to some degree). If you like to drive, and you obviously do, I would be surprised if you regret getting a GT3 after owning a TTS. You might miss the convertible aspect, though.

So to summarize, if you are concerned about the less power, that difference is not as discernible (it's there) but you will be driving and shifting at different points. If you are wondering about the driving experience, it's the GT3, hands down. I am obviously biased a bit because I prefer NA in general. I bought the Turbo S because I always dreamed of owning one and it was a bucket list item. I even ordered my 2015 Panamera in NA guise (GTS), due to arrive in 6 weeks +/-.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sam
Old 06-27-2014, 11:50 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Actually, the new model will be introduced at Geneva in March. I will be there to see it during VIP/Press days. It will be a revised 458 with a few body mods to accommodate the Turbo motors and reportedly will push the 458 to 670 hp.
To clarify. Are you saying that the new model will be a 458 with a few modifications to accommodate the new aspirated engine OR will it be the successor to the 458?
Old 06-27-2014, 11:58 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by Nick
To clarify. Are you saying that the new model will be a 458 with a few modifications to accommodate the new aspirated engine OR will it be the successor to the 458?
Nick, from what I hear it will be a modified front fascia with larger air intake vents and some intake mods at the rear. Now you know how these "insights" are but I have a pretty good source giving me this info. We will see I guess. For now, I believe it is a 458 variant currently named the M458-T. I know that whatever it is it is supposed to be revealed in March.
-Mike
Old 06-28-2014, 12:05 AM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Hi Mike,

Thanks for asking. I fully understand the Turbo rush. I test drove the TTS for less than 300 yards then decided I wanted it, bad. It is by far the fastest accelerating car I have ever driven and you can't deny that rush. I took it to the track and it was a beast. My wife loved it; very comfy, great stereo, fast and QUITE! What? Yeah, she liked that and it was the biggest thing I disliked about the TTS. Since I was on the GT3 list, when the car I spec'd arrived, I promptly swapped.

I do not regret it!! Heck, I got tired of the TTS after two months. I drove the GT3 for 2 months and waited (still waiting) for four months to get it back. It is that good. Going from C4S to a TTS was a massive power upgrade. Going from a TTS to a GT3 felt like NO power downgrade. That car is fast accelerating and as you know, it probably churns close to 500hp, not 475. That, plus the lighter weight and the sound (oh, the sound), it feels faster that the TTS. The engine chatters at idle and as you accelerate, the sound gets better with each additional 1,000 RPM. The shifts sound and feel like a race car (OK, so I've never been in a race car so I don't know how it feels but it sure sounds like one, to some degree). If you like to drive, and you obviously do, I would be surprised if you regret getting a GT3 after owning a TTS. You might miss the convertible aspect, though.

So to summarize, if you are concerned about the less power, that difference is not as discernible (it's there) but you will be driving and shifting at different points. If you are wondering about the driving experience, it's the GT3, hands down. I am obviously biased a bit because I prefer NA in general. I bought the Turbo S because I always dreamed of owning one and it was a bucket list item. I even ordered my 2015 Panamera in NA guise (GTS), due to arrive in 6 weeks +/-.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sam
Wow Sam. Thank you! That gives me everything I am looking for. Seems we are very much alike. I am not a track driver but I want that involvement when driving my car. I like to race around a bit and enjoy the connected feel. If you listen closely to Andreas Preuninger in his interview with EVO he alludes to the HP of the GT3 being understated. I also like the NA engines myself. Nothing like that roar and throttle response. It just seems like more of an "experience" when you turn that key. I truly do love the TTS and if I miss it I can always replace it I guess. I am going for the GT3. :-)

Also, keeping the California and my wife's F12 M6 cab so I can still go topless when I feel like it.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:27 AM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Believe me, when you start up the GT3 you can tell immediately it wants you to grab it by the scruff of its neck and wring it out. It's alive and wants to be flogged. And they are very quick cars, no two ways about it. A Turbo starts to really scoot from 100+mph but how often can you really keep that throttle matted around town? For real world, even really aggressive driving, the GT3 will feel just as quick or quicker due to the throttle response and feedback.

Honestly I hung on to my modified 996 Turbo for a long time because I thought "how can I go down on power and go to a GT3"? One passenger ride (and that was in a 996 GT3) was all it took to convince me and I wasn't even driving!

I just don't see myself ever driving a Turbo again. They have bonkers power but each generation gets softer and becomes more of a GT car. I'd rather have either a bonkers sedan (Panny Turbo, M5, RS 7, etc) for my turbo fix in comfort, or if I wanted a GT I'd rather have something with more flair/uniqueness like an Aston, Black series AMG, R8, MP4, the list goes on...
Old 06-28-2014, 12:36 AM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by nash
Believe me, when you start up the GT3 you can tell immediately it wants you to grab it by the scruff of its neck and wring it out. It's alive and wants to be flogged. And they are very quick cars, no two ways about it. A Turbo starts to really scoot from 100+mph but how often can you really keep that throttle matted around town? For real world, even really aggressive driving, the GT3 will feel just as quick or quicker due to the throttle response and feedback.

Honestly I hung on to my modified 996 Turbo for a long time because I thought "how can I go down on power and go to a GT3"? One passenger ride (and that was in a 996 GT3) was all it took to convince me and I wasn't even driving!

I just don't see myself ever driving a Turbo again. They have bonkers power but each generation gets softer and becomes more of a GT car. I'd rather have either a bonkers sedan (Panny Turbo, M5, RS 7, etc) for my turbo fix in comfort, or if I wanted a GT I'd rather have something with more flair/uniqueness like an Aston, Black series AMG, R8, MP4, the list goes on...
Lol! Sounds great Nash...except I am not sure i agree on the TTS starting to scoot at 100+ mph. My TTS is violent right from 0!

I really appreciate this feedback. Further affirms my decision to try the GT3. I want that FEEL. :-)
Old 06-28-2014, 01:08 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Lol! Sounds great Nash...except I am not sure i agree on the TTS starting to scoot at 100+ mph. My TTS is violent right from 0!

I really appreciate this feedback. Further affirms my decision to try the GT3. I want that FEEL. :-)
Sounds like you really need to try a GT2 or GT2RS. Sort of the love child of a GT3 and Turbo. The GT2RS is perhaps the best car Porsche has ever made.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:16 AM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You are right, I should rather say at 100+mph it really starts to separate from the pack. PDK Turbos are wicked off the line too of course!

GT3 is all about FEEL, that is for sure. If you can arrange a test drive or even ride with a friend/dealer (maybe they have a 997 on the lot you can go for a spin in), I think it will assuage your fears.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:17 AM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ColdList, i have a deposit down for the 458T (or M) and will be there for the factory presentation before the motor show. but my dealer told me that it will be before frankfurt 2015. are you sure about geneva?
peter

Last edited by markow; 06-28-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: wrong addressee
Old 06-28-2014, 08:38 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Wow Sam. Thank you! That gives me everything I am looking for. Seems we are very much alike. I am not a track driver but I want that involvement when driving my car. I like to race around a bit and enjoy the connected feel. If you listen closely to Andreas Preuninger in his interview with EVO he alludes to the HP of the GT3 being understated. I also like the NA engines myself. Nothing like that roar and throttle response. It just seems like more of an "experience" when you turn that key. I truly do love the TTS and if I miss it I can always replace it I guess. I am going for the GT3. :-)

Also, keeping the California and my wife's F12 M6 cab so I can still go topless when I feel like it.
Awesome!! Now go get you one and share the hunt experience.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To really summarize what has been said:
A cold chick that looks nice and dresses nicer (TTS) and...
A hot chick that has it all out with whom you want to have wild time
Old 06-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Nick, from what I hear it will be a modified front fascia with larger air intake vents and some intake mods at the rear. Now you know how these "insights" are but I have a pretty good source giving me this info. We will see I guess. For now, I believe it is a 458 variant currently named the M458-T. I know that whatever it is it is supposed to be revealed in March.
-Mike
Mike, it sounds like the transition from the 360 to the 430.

Regarding your question between TTS and Gt3, I went from a 430 Spider to a 997.2 TT cab. The Cab was a terrific car and I enjoyed driving it. BUT, it was not exciting to drive. By that I mean it was too refined and not raw enough for my taste. The Cab would have trounced my Spider but the Spider was much more fun to drive.

I decided to buy the 991 GT3 for four reasons. First, it is now PDK . Manual to me was old technology and after driving F1 and PDK I did not wan to go back. Second, the 991GT3 was made more compliant for DD. After driving the Scuderia several times and getting a headache I wanted a car I could enjoy driving without taking aspirin. Third, despite being more conducive for DD, the GT3 still maintained its rawness and in the Porsche line the most exciting to drive. Fourth, the price. When you consider what you are getting for a base price of $130,000 there is no doubt in my mind it is the performance value of this century.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 turbo cab vs 991 GT3