Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

OT: Cayman GT4

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

For personal reasons I was checking the wheelbase of the Cayman hoping it was shorter then the GT3 as this could provide a glimmer of hope that maybe that car would fit into my garage more easily. I was surprised to see that the Cayman actually has a half inch longer wheelbase than the 991!! I'm assuming the front and rear overhang's are less?

Any speculation over whether this car would be available with a front lift kit? Did the Cayman R have a front lift?
Old 10-20-2014, 09:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
Mike, First i've heard about system being variable between 30 and 50 mph. My understanding is opposite up to 50 kph then the same above 50kph. Allan
Allan, from Porsche Technical info:

4.6 Rear-axle steering
General
The new 911 GT3 features rear-axle steering as standard. The system comprises
two electromechanical actuators, which are used instead of the conventional toe
control arms at the left and right of the rear axle. The system steers the rear axle,
depending on the speed, within a range of approximately +/- 1.5 degrees in the
opposite direction to or in the same direction as the steering angle on the front
axle. The steering angle on the rear axle thus depends above all on the steering
angle on the front axle, the driving situation and the driving speed.
At speeds of up to approximately 30 mph (50 km/h), the system steers the rear
wheels in the opposite direction (counter) to the front wheels. In terms of geometry,
this results in a virtual shortening of the wheelbase by approximately 5.9 in. (150
mm) and ensures both greater agility and day-to-day usability. This facilitates maneuvering
and parking and keeps the turning circle small despite the large track width
on the front axle.
At speeds of over approximately 50 mph (80 km/h), the system steers the rear
wheels parallel to the front wheels (same direction). In terms of geometry, this
results in virtual lengthening of the wheelbase by approximately 18.7 in. (500 mm)
and increases driving stability, particularly at high speeds. At speeds of between 30
and 50 mph (50 and 80 km/h), the system continually switches between steering in
the same and opposite direction, depending on the driving situation.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:27 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Mike, Thank you very much. Allan
Old 10-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

^^My pleasure.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

That sounds so scary...
If Hall (Pall?) ever gets confused as to my intension in T17 with 3 wheels in the air she might self distruct us...
Old 10-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
For personal reasons I was checking the wheelbase of the Cayman hoping it was shorter then the GT3 as this could provide a glimmer of hope that maybe that car would fit into my garage more easily. I was surprised to see that the Cayman actually has a half inch longer wheelbase than the 991!! I'm assuming the front and rear overhang's are less?

Any speculation over whether this car would be available with a front lift kit? Did the Cayman R have a front lift?
Neither the Spyder nor Cayman R had front lifts, but they didn't need them, either...much larger arrival angle than on a GT3...they don't have the long, low front splitter.

The 987 and 981 have longer wheelbases and shorter rear overhangs than their 911 counterparts due to placement of their engines...
Old 10-21-2014, 12:11 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Neither the Spyder nor Cayman R had front lifts, but they didn't need them, either...much larger arrival angle than on a GT3...they don't have the long, low front splitter. The 987 and 981 have longer wheelbases and shorter rear overhangs than their 911 counterparts due to placement of their engines...
Hmm, I wonder if not being as wide as gt3 would allow for a bit of entry angle to help avoid my monster hump... gonna keep lurking here for a bit longer.. My sports car story ain't over yet.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:50 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Cayman wheelbase has always been longer than its 911 brother's. When we go from 997.2 to 987.2 on the alignment pad and following races, the scales need to be move to accommodate the Cayman's longer wheelbase.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:42 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Cayman wheelbase has always been longer than its 911 brother's. When we go from 997.2 to 987.2 on the alignment pad and following races, the scales need to be move to accommodate the Cayman's longer wheelbase.
Is that still the case with the longer wheel base on the 991?

Edit: just checked, the cayman GTS is about .7" longer.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:06 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Yes. Speaking 981 vs. 991, the Cayman is 1" longer in wheelbase while the 991 is about 4" longer in overall length due to body overhang. Widthwise, the Cayman is almost as wide as a 991 up front but an entire 1" wider on rear track. The 991 GT3 has the wider rear track however so that is how they lay out from a dimension perspective.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't shoot me if this has already been posted. Here are some spy shots from Autocar.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/sc...rototype-spied
Old 10-21-2014, 03:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lodi
Don't shoot me if this has already been posted. Here are some spy shots from Autocar. http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/sc...rototype-spied
You're forgiven.

Wheels are beautiful, pity there is no concavity in the rear ones. Wish the mirrors weren't stock cayman items.. And can't wait to see what rear spoiler actually looks like. Overall though it looks very purposeful and aggressive.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
You're forgiven.

Wheels are beautiful, pity there is no concavity in the rear ones.
Those are wheels that Porsche uses for testing mules - production ones are usually very different.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:09 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 433 Posts

I personally don't like the wheels and grateful they won't make their way onto the production one
Old 10-21-2014, 04:15 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Yes. Speaking 981 vs. 991, the Cayman is 1" longer in wheelbase while the 991 is about 4" longer in overall length due to body overhang. Widthwise, the Cayman is almost as wide as a 991 up front but an entire 1" wider on rear track. The 991 GT3 has the wider rear track however so that is how they lay out from a dimension perspective.
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the 981's front overhang is shorter than the 991's ? Or is the shorter overall length just because of the shorter rear overhang?

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Allan, from Porsche Technical info:

4.6 Rear-axle steering
General
The new 911 GT3 features rear-axle steering as standard. The system comprises
two electromechanical actuators, which are used instead of the conventional toe
control arms at the left and right of the rear axle. The system steers the rear axle,
depending on the speed, within a range of approximately +/- 1.5 degrees in the
opposite direction to or in the same direction as the steering angle on the front
axle. The steering angle on the rear axle thus depends above all on the steering
angle on the front axle, the driving situation and the driving speed.
At speeds of up to approximately 30 mph (50 km/h), the system steers the rear
wheels in the opposite direction (counter) to the front wheels. In terms of geometry,
this results in a virtual shortening of the wheelbase by approximately 5.9 in. (150
mm) and ensures both greater agility and day-to-day usability. This facilitates maneuvering
and parking and keeps the turning circle small despite the large track width
on the front axle.
At speeds of over approximately 50 mph (80 km/h), the system steers the rear
wheels parallel to the front wheels (same direction). In terms of geometry, this
results in virtual lengthening of the wheelbase by approximately 18.7 in. (500 mm)
and increases driving stability, particularly at high speeds. At speeds of between 30
and 50 mph (50 and 80 km/h), the system continually switches between steering in
the same and opposite direction, depending on the driving situation.
Thanks Mike for clearing up that too. I had no idea about this variable "zone".

Quick Reply: OT: Cayman GT4