Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mesh for front wheel wells

Old 07-23-2014, 03:07 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Sam. That's just absolutely stupid money! It makes no sense at all! It polyurethane for gods sake but they are charging the same price as gold on a per oz basis!

Someone asked for a picture of the 991 GT3 with the 997.2 (larger) GT3 badging on the back. Here it is snapped outside a shop after I went for a fast drive this afternoon. I like the look is clean and crisp. I felt the "Porsche" badging on the 991 has always been retro kitsch myself.....here it is from many different angles...

Lastly, you are all going to need one of these. A Titan Metallic D7Z touch up stick. The roads in NZ are dirty (lots of small stones), when pushing on the front tyres pick up stones and flick them back there they chip the paint on the spokes of the rear wheels. The matt metallic paint looks great when new but is brittle and chips very very easily leaving the white primer underneath exposed. I have over 3000 miles on my GT3 (1000 on the new engine) and there are around a dozen of these chips spread around the four wheels with the bulk of them on the rear driver side wheel. Juts a heads up but I suspect PAG will be dealing with a number of complaints regards the chipped wheels...
Macca, I've jested about white a few times but the car really looks good in that color. Also, thanks for the tip about the wheel touch up. I have a couple of small chips on the driver side rear myself and have been trying to figure out what color is available to match the wheels. I assume you got that touch up paint from your dealer and that it's readily available?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Red looks good too Mike. Which colour doesn't on this GT3!

Here are a few pics from our Sunday fast drive....

Yes the dealer researched the touch up paint with PAG and this is what they were told to order. It comes with a seperate clear lacquer stick which you don't need as the finish is Matt. The roads in Europe were much cleaner. One chip there in 2000 miles and 8 new ones here in 1000 miles plus a damaged plastic bulge thingy and many more chips on the paint. The track work really helps add to them! I noticed the mesh at the front is also painted gunmetal and a few stones on Sunday from the GT3 ahead left chips down to the aluminium there too. That same Titan metallic may fix those too....have had too much fun with the car on this trip to be worrying about a few stone chips....
Attached Images     
Old 07-23-2014, 08:47 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 718 Posts

Macca - thanks for displaying the pictures of the larger "GT3" badge. I also have that and was contemplating if was ever going to put it on when my car arrives next month. Certainly will. It looks great and clean(less busy) and I like how you cheated it a little higher up than right in the middle.

Also, not good to hear the wheels chip that easy. That was my main concern when I saw them but going to stick with my game plan. Let them chip for a couple years and when it drives me crazy going to have my wheels powder coated black. It only costs a couple hundred dollars per wheel. They bake them ect but that was my intention any way.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Macca - Most importantly; how do you like the sharkwerks rear bypass. Please give us your impressions compared to when you do not have the sport exhaust activated and when you do compared to the stock muffler.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Jimmy. From inside the car the SW bypass makes the sound fractionally louder. Not irritating. On the track it howls nicely above 6000 rpm. Apparently the benefits are mostly to be had from outside the car where it (according to others) sounds quite fruity. Its a modest gain in sound, no resonance and a nice upgrade if you consider you save around 15lb out back at the same time. The 991 GT3 is already perhaps the best sounding 911 I have been in out of teh box (and I have a heavily exhaust modified 993 which is very loud).
Old 07-23-2014, 10:05 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Macca, we all followed your exploits thru Europe and I would be very interested in any details you have on the replaced engine to date. Your impressions would be highly valued
Old 07-23-2014, 10:23 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Sam,
$6,400! Wow. Is insurance covering it or are you paying out of pocket? BTW, are you tracking with track insurance?
D
I got a good discount on it but it is still very expensive. Out of pocket.

Sam. That's just absolutely stupid money! It makes no sense at all! It polyurethane for gods sake but they are charging the same price as gold on a per oz basis!

Someone asked for a picture of the 991 GT3 with the 997.2 (larger) GT3 badging on the back. Here it is snapped outside a shop after I went for a fast drive this afternoon. I like the look is clean and crisp. I felt the "Porsche" badging on the 991 has always been retro kitsch myself.....here it is from many different angles...

Lastly, you are all going to need one of these. A Titan Metallic D7Z touch up stick. The roads in NZ are dirty (lots of small stones), when pushing on the front tyres pick up stones and flick them back there they chip the paint on the spokes of the rear wheels. The matt metallic paint looks great when new but is brittle and chips very very easily leaving the white primer underneath exposed. I have over 3000 miles on my GT3 (1000 on the new engine) and there are around a dozen of these chips spread around the four wheels with the bulk of them on the rear driver side wheel. Juts a heads up but I suspect PAG will be dealing with a number of complaints regards the chipped wheels...
I know, it's like legal robbery! Thanks for the tip on the Titan metallic touch up paint. I tried with my dealership before but they couldn't come up with anything. Did you apply it already and does it blend in well?
Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jimmy. I dropped my car off in Zurich at the dealer at end of Dec last year. The first proper drive of it since was last week when the engine had been replaced. Id be lying if I said I can make a valid comparison between 6 months ago fully run in (2000+ miles) and today. The only things I noticed are:

A). The blue "cold engine" light which turns off at 47C oil temp (approx 2 minutes running from cold!).
B). The exhaust bypass valves now open at 3200/3400 rpm instead of previously around 3700/3800 rpm.

Otherwise I confess the car behaves much the same right up to the redline. Its possible the car is pulling a bit better in lower rpm band (3400-5500) as I noted in Europe the car ran smoother and stronger all round after 2000 miles had been reached, but to be honest in reality I dont think thats the case. The car definitely turns in quicker than before and steers better but thats almost certainly due to the geo change I had done before picking it up last week (-2.00 F+R). I have 1000 miles on the new engine now and it feels better than when I picked it up last week. A 9 lap session at the local track (no short shifting!) at 400 miles helped that I should say. from prior experience I should think the engine now is at least as strong as when I ran it in in Europe....
Old 07-23-2014, 10:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I got a good discount on it but it is still very expensive. Out of pocket.

I know, it's like legal robbery! Thanks for the tip on the Titan metallic touch up paint. I tried with my dealership before but they couldn't come up with anything. Did you apply it already and does it blend in well?

Yeah it blends in fine. You have to shake it up real well first and probably better to put your reading glasses on and use an artists brush to apply it. Every time I take the car out for a 100 mile back road "blast" there appear to be another one or two so I just do the ones that show the white now. Actually the brake dust on the steelies does us a favour here as it fills the holes in and turns them grey over time ha ha
Old 07-23-2014, 10:33 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Yeah it blends in fine. You have to shake it up real well first and probably better to put your reading glasses on and use an artists brush to apply it. Every time I take the car out for a 100 mile back road "blast" there appear to be another one or two so I just do the ones that show the white now. Actually the brake dust on the steelies does us a favour here as it fills the holes in and turns them grey over time ha ha
Ha! I thought I was the only one on this forum using reading glasses for close up jobs. I agree with the dust covering the holes nicely. Surprised Porsche doesn't sell "brake dust metallic" touch up
Old 07-23-2014, 10:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yeah. I learnt the hard way on the first few. It goes on shiny and drys matt so kept wondering why the white looked like it was still there after I prodded it with the brush that comes with the stick only to find later I had applied a more liberal coating than intended. I suggest doing it outside in bright sunlight with clean wheels. I guess at some stage Ill have them re painted but not in a hurry. When I do Ill have a satin clear coat applied. The flat matt looks great but suspect its whats making it less durable...
Old 07-23-2014, 10:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Ha! I thought I was the only one on this forum using reading glasses for close up jobs.
Oh no, you're not alone....
Old 07-23-2014, 10:45 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Yeah. I learnt the hard way on the first few. It goes on shiny and drys matt so kept wondering why the white looked like it was still there after I prodded it with the brush that comes with the stick only to find later I had applied a more liberal coating than intended. I suggest doing it outside in bright sunlight with clean wheels. I guess at some stage Ill have them re painted but not in a hurry. When I do Ill have a satin clear coat applied. The flat matt looks great but suspect its whats making it less durable...
Great idea of the satin clear later. I'll keep that in mind for sure.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Oh no, you're not alone....
Good company
Old 07-23-2014, 11:02 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the high gloss black have a clear coat, would it be more durable?

Ryan
Old 07-24-2014, 05:53 PM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Sam. That's just absolutely stupid money! It makes no sense at all! It polyurethane for gods sake but they are charging the same price as gold on a per oz basis! Someone asked for a picture of the 991 GT3 with the 997.2 (larger) GT3 badging on the back. Here it is snapped outside a shop after I went for a fast drive this afternoon. I like the look is clean and crisp. I felt the "Porsche" badging on the 991 has always been retro kitsch myself.....here it is from many different angles... Lastly, you are all going to need one of these. A Titan Metallic D7Z touch up stick. The roads in NZ are dirty (lots of small stones), when pushing on the front tyres pick up stones and flick them back there they chip the paint on the spokes of the rear wheels. The matt metallic paint looks great when new but is brittle and chips very very easily leaving the white primer underneath exposed. I have over 3000 miles on my GT3 (1000 on the new engine) and there are around a dozen of these chips spread around the four wheels with the bulk of them on the rear driver side wheel. Juts a heads up but I suspect PAG will be dealing with a number of complaints regards the chipped wheels...
Macca how did you apply the new badging? I have read others taping etc but the spacing and distances how even is it or what devices did you use? Did you make a template like others have tried? Or just estimating as close as possible?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mesh for front wheel wells