Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearplex windshield protector

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:28 PM
ClearPlexKen
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silverrules... I am glad you are happy with the product and that you experience was good with our shop.

I am more that happy to offer up a group buy on the "Self Install Kit". Not sure what the rules are with the site but lets see what we can do.

Ken
Old 12-12-2015, 11:38 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I just got charged $399 for ClearPlex installed on my 6GT3 in CT after replacing the windshield. Looks like everyone here got it for less.

There are a few smudges between the plex and the windshield. The installer says they will "burn off" after some time in the sun -- which didn't sound too convincing -- but he'll re-install it if they don't.
I just had some ClearPlex installed (first time). I too have some "smudges" that almost look like orange peel (at the bottom of my windshield). I was also told it would burn off in about a week. Curious if this is normal or to be expected. For those who have had the same initially, did it in fact go away?
Old 12-13-2015, 09:10 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zellamsee
I just had some ClearPlex installed (first time). I too have some "smudges" that almost look like orange peel (at the bottom of my windshield). I was also told it would burn off in about a week. Curious if this is normal or to be expected. For those who have had the same initially, did it in fact go away?
Over the years, I've had it installed Clearplex/Bray 3 times. I found 90% of "smudges" goes away. I tried once to have it replaced as wasn't too satisfied after a couple of weeks, and it still was not 100%. I found the install of Clearplex better than Bray.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:54 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Windshield is now protected as well and the Track Logic Motorsport guy's did a fantastic job. From inside of the car you can not tell there is a film on the windshield. They asked for 72 hr cure time. Ken Brown is the master Clear Plex in charge and he said to call him up if you guys want to do a group buy with the DIY kit. PM me if you need his phone #. They are class acts just like Alex of Shawrkwerk. My car is now ready for battle

No affiliation with Track logic Motorsports.
Where is Ken Brown and how can I contact? I am in Tuolumne county so probably not that far from you.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:09 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rocklin CA. This was two yr's ago though. Just a warning: I had to redo mine 3 times and still had few dust bubbles but will do it again.

http://www.tracklogicmotorsports.com...les.asp?ID=253
Old 12-14-2015, 03:43 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I was told cost of materials went up. This product is all about the installer. Mine looks perfect.
I've had it on my RS for about 10 track days and it's picking up a lot of surface abrasions from rocks sand and track crap hitting it. Sure it's saving my windshield bit it's starting to look like crap.
I guess I'd get it again but another side of me says just put a new windshield in it when it needs it.

For a street car sure do it.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:57 AM
SHAG
Racer

For $300, I'd just get a new windshield.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:07 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^ They are more and there is a lot of stuff connected to that windshield.
I'd rather not have them replace it at all if not needed. I'm going to double up on the Clearplex ;-)
Old 12-14-2015, 10:37 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had my windshield replaced after getting pitted and stars from spring smokies. I decided to go with clearplex. Install wasn't perfect but I was ok with it as I was more worried about function. I wanted it on before fall smokies to see how well it work. What I've noticed is it protects but the damage it takes is much more visual then glass pits. I kept it on for a few months but got tired at looking at damage on it. When I took it off I still had a couple pits. Guessing they would had star or crack the glass without. I will be putting it on before the next smokies.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:42 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

New windshield is $1K. Just had one installed due to pitting, mostly from last spring's smokies run. Was going to do Clearplex but it doesn't sound like its a magic bullet. Might try it though.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:49 AM
SHAG
Racer

Originally Posted by Lodi
New windshield is $1K. Just had one installed due to pitting, mostly from last spring's smokies run. Was going to do Clearplex but it doesn't sound like its a magic bullet. Might try it though.
I own a car dealership. Markup is very high on windshields.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:50 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I am also skeptical of this product because of its sacrificial nature, but had it installed on my GT3 based on a friend's recommendation, while my car was getting clear bra.

We'll see how it performs.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:01 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies. I too am somewhat skeptical, but decided to give it a try after one of my other cars got a bad windshield chip. Clarity is not 100% perfect, but I don't know if that is account of a poor installation or whether the film needs to cure a bit more (hence, my original post). I too haven't always had a great results with windshield replacements (last one had to be done twice to get it right).
Old 12-14-2015, 02:45 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zellamsee
Thanks for the replies. I too am somewhat skeptical, but decided to give it a try after one of my other cars got a bad windshield chip. Clarity is not 100% perfect, but I don't know if that is account of a poor installation or whether the film needs to cure a bit more (hence, my original post). I too haven't always had a great results with windshield replacements (last one had to be done twice to get it right).
Clarity did not change for me but you will get used to it. Just ignore it. I had a broken windshield before and it was never the same after windshield replacement. Air-leak from windshield was annoying. The windshield was replaced by dealer installers who was supposed to be THE BEST.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:05 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by silverrules
Clarity did not change for me but you will get used to it. Just ignore it. I had a broken windshield before and it was never the same after windshield replacement. Air-leak from windshield was annoying. The windshield was replaced by dealer installers who was supposed to be THE BEST.
Thanks. Yep, I supposedly had the BEST too (replacement on my 993). Poor fit, wire to attach the radio cut, etc. Had to be redone.

Quick Reply: Clearplex windshield protector