Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 03:05 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
Until we hear when new engines will be fitted, this "Letter" doesn't help much at all. We are all still in the dark as to final resolution. Allan
Allan, you are more patient than I would be.
Really feel for the guys who got cars...sorry but IMO these things are "damaged goods" now. I would have check in hand by COB today and move on to something else...458/12c/997GT3/Viper, anything. Life is too short for this ****. Take the money and come back (maybe) a year from now when things are sorted out. No way would I waste any more time on this.

Hoping for the best for each of you....

Bill
Old 03-17-2014, 03:06 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mhh
Two reasons occur to me. 1. To get paid. This issue must be killing PAG financially. 2. To clear orders from the line which is always needed for future models. There will be a process in place for engine replacement so that is the lesser of two evils.

I think "killing" PAG financially might be a bit extreme. So it would be better to push onward on the line with faulty engines that will need to be replaced, rather than push production out 3-4 weeks?

I'm not sure 3-4 weeks of working capital on a niche model such as the GT3 is going to kill PAG financially by any means.

If anything really hurts them, it's the lost confidence / brand equity.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:10 PM
mhh
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
I'm sorry, this just doesnt make sense. Why on earth would they continue to make engines with known bad parts? Only to ship the car which is not driveable , and then have to send a replacement motor later to be installed? I'm not sure that makes sense at all.
I'm assuming they have a pile of old engines but maybe not. One thing's for sure - they can't ship with no engine. And an April 11 build is unlikely to get an engine currently in testing.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys. Happy to start the thread. Will be this evening our time as Im travelling on a 2 week track tour (993 not GT3 :-(). Really need US owners behind this as PAG are more fearful of you than us colonials who have a non litigatious system with no bite.....

I still think if 100 owners round teh world went to their dealer and asked for their car keys for the day in protest and then went and drove their cars out of the dealership Porsche would have kittens over the potential "death liability" issue...
Old 03-17-2014, 03:22 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good idea Macca. But I would guess that out of the 800 or so delivered cars most owners are NOT on RL. How do we get those non forum people involved? Perhaps a 991 GT3 registry? what about "Occupy Porsche AG"?
Old 03-17-2014, 03:23 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
+1 on both points.

I had to cut each track session short last saturday because my substitute car was not up to the heat (not even loaner - the other car I could find - the loaner is utter crap base cayman on all-seasons, which I would not even consider tracking). This is a major pain in the a$$ now. If they make me negotiate with a dealer about compensation instead of writing a check, I'll just have to ask my lawyer to do it for me.
Same for me +1 on both points.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:26 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Guys. Happy to start the thread. Will be this evening our time as Im travelling on a 2 week track tour (993 not GT3 :-(). Really need US owners behind this as PAG are more fearful of you than us colonials who have a non litigatious system with no bite.....

I still think if 100 owners round teh world went to their dealer and asked for their car keys for the day in protest and then went and drove their cars out of the dealership Porsche would have kittens over the potential "death liability" issue...
I agree. Please start the thread, and lets discuss the actual date
Old 03-17-2014, 03:27 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well just got an update from the dealer. Second response from Porsche was hold off on confirming schedule. Porsche getting back with us to confirm schedule for May 16th EU pick up.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:36 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mhh
I'm assuming they have a pile of old engines but maybe not. One thing's for sure - they can't ship with no engine. And an April 11 build is unlikely to get an engine currently in testing.
My suspicion is there will be a delay on these cars which will show up later as it gets closer to the exit date. They will hold these cars most likely until the parts finish testing and then put correct motor in. Why ship a car with a bad motor to sit at the dealer on his floor plan awaiting a new motor that will have to be shipped over and installed? Really stupid. We already know that they are holding cars from a previous RL post. I don't know of any cars on this thread that have recently arrived. But I guess we will see soon. The crazy thing is we can't ask anybody at Porsche the answers to these questions.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:39 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't understand this at all. I just received word that my GT3 has advanced to V260, entry to the body shop to begin production. How can this be when the engine testing is not complete? I have a March 21 production date, so am I getting the engine with the conrod bolt problem to be dealt with later? Why keep producing a product with a known problem?
Old 03-17-2014, 03:41 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I hope you all get new engines and then they refurb your old ones and put them up for sale. It would be perfect swap for manual Cayman
Old 03-17-2014, 03:43 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
There is no way in the world from a brand protection and liability point of view that Porsche would refurb the engines and reinstall them in new cars. The reputational exposure, ( and liability exposure if there were another fault) would be enormous. I just can't see it.
They we'll probably use those engine cores for "Stop Sale.2" on the updated motor . Mike
Old 03-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the latest -

Dear Mr. [Dan]:

As advised previously, engineers at Porsche AG have been conducting technical analysis of the Porsche 911 GT3 engine in order to find a solution to the problem which led us to recommend you stop driving your car.

This analysis is now completed, and we would like to inform you about the cause of the problem and the planned remedial actions.

As already communicated, two vehicles in Europe suffered engine damage, causing the vehicles to catch fire.

Analysis has revealed that in both cases the engine damage was caused by a loosened piston rod screw connection which damaged the crankcase. In order to avoid this in the future, an optimized screw connection is currently being tested. For the final validation of this solution, Porsche AG is currently carrying out extensive tests.

At Porsche we are rigorous when implementing an engineering solution, therefore, after the successful testing and validation we will be installing new engines with optimized piston rod screw connections in all 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 vehicles.

Due to the complexity of the necessary arrangement, we are currently unable to provide you with a specific workshop date for your Porsche 911 GT3. We will be arranging an appointment with you individually, as soon as the logistics planning is finalized. We will be providing you with additional information within the next three weeks.

We continue to remain committed to supporting your individual needs during this time. Your personal contact person will make contact with you within the next days to discuss individual solutions to bridge the gap until you are reunited with your Porsche 911 GT3.

Thank you very much for your patience and your loyalty to the Porsche brand.

Kind regards,
Old 03-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who is the supplier for the con rods for this engine? Are they alos the suppliers for the fasteners/bolts? I must say that I am suprdised...I would have thought that the bolts would be made from L-19 material that has tensile strength that would far exceed any load.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:55 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
Here's the latest ...
Thanks for reposting post #2579 on page 172.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?