Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Dude has spoken
Old 03-17-2014, 01:06 PM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
I hope we don't have to deal with our dealers for compensation in any. The take it or leave it approach will not sit well with me.
It is conceivable that PAG will pass the buck to PNA who will then pass the buck to the individual dealers, telling them that compensation is at their discretion.

The result: We all get sheisser. Then ask for seconds when the RS comes out!
Old 03-17-2014, 01:07 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok.. Can someone create an Stop-Sale-Exec-Summary thread so I don't have to read thru all of this.. LOL.. Every time I log in I have to read 5 pages.. -- Then I'll read all these juicy details n stuff at night when I have time.. Ha Ha..
Old 03-17-2014, 01:07 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
A MONTH? A MONTH?

Are you kidding me? It will be at least two to three months if not longer.
realistically...this. I would have loved to know this sooner so I could have gone and bought one of the 3 cars that slipped by while I waited for my GT3 to be done. ugh.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:09 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

why did something like this not cause damage in the extensive Porsche and third party road tests? Is it only certain batch of cars ?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:18 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
... Guess I'm now sitting in the best spot with a May production, my car should roll off the line with a good engine. Sorry guys.

Ryan
Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Wouldn't the best spot be one of the early 2015s, not the last of the 2014s?
Originally Posted by sechsgang
early 2015 will definitely be the ones to have.
So you think that waiting until Sept or Oct for a 2015 is better than having a new car with the good engine in June or July? Hmmm... seems contrary to the whining.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:21 PM
llstuey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vf430
why did something like this not cause damage in the extensive Porsche and third party road tests? Is it only certain batch of cars ?
Feels like we are still missing lots of the details here - why have some cars been stopped at production since Feb? Why have some cars seemingly moved through production and then shipped? Letter states they still need to test, so i can't imagine any cars have yet finished production with the "fix", right?
I am a pretty patient person, but Porsche really needs to ultimately come clean and be very transparent with what issue is/was for people to have confidence going forward. For those of you who may have to negotiate compensation this piece will be key (unfortunately).
Old 03-17-2014, 01:25 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr0317
...after the successful testing and validation we will be installing new engines...
Anyone care to guess how Porsche defines 'new'? With 700+ faulty engines coming back and a need for 700+ new ones, my guess is that the returned engines will be updated and resold. If this is limited to those engines that weren't delivered, then they could be considered 'new'. Hence the need for additional new engines is 745+ minus those that were delivered. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:26 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch. I'm happy I decided to hold off on a car and will now most likely have a very early 2015 allocation. Sorry to the current owners
Old 03-17-2014, 01:27 PM
green
Pro

As advised previously, engineers at Porsche AG have been conducting
technical analysis of the Porsche 911 GT3 engine in order to find a
solution to the problem which led us to recommend you stop driving
your car.

This analysis is now completed, and we would like to inform you about
the cause of the problem and the planned remedial actions.

As already communicated, two vehicles in Europe suffered engine
damage, causing the vehicles to catch fire.

Analysis has revealed that in both cases the engine damage was caused
by a loosened piston rod screw connection which damaged the
crankcase. In order to avoid this in the future, an optimized screw
connection is currently being tested. For the final validation of
this solution, Porsche AG is currently carrying out extensive tests.

At Porsche we are rigorous when implementing an engineering solution,
therefore, after the successful testing and validation we will be
installing new engines with optimized piston rod screw connections in
all 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 vehicles.

Due to the complexity of the necessary arrangement, we are currently
unable to provide you with a specific workshop date for your Porsche
911 GT3. We will be arranging an appointment with you individually,
as soon as the logistics planning is finalized. We will be providing
you with additional information within the next three weeks.

We continue to remain committed to supporting your individual needs
during this time.
Your personal contact person will make contact with you within the
next days to discuss individual solutions to bridge the gap until you
are reunited with your Porsche 911 GT3.

Thank you very much for your patience and your loyalty to the Porsche
brand.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:28 PM
frayed
Race Car

I think this is a case of a part making the grade during prototype form, then pre-production form, then failing to meet spec once into full scale production.

From my exposure to component suppliers in the auto industry, each jump (from prototype to preproduction/pilot line, then to full scale production) is notable and has attendant engineering hurdles. Sucks that this appears to be the case here.

For those bailing from the car, it's understandable. But I remain in the camp that the fix will be robust.

Long term I have concerns about the top end of the motor since the valvetrain is so new, but I think the bottom end will prove up to the task. Just my gut feel.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:29 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by llstuey
Feels like we are still missing lots of the details here - why have some cars been stopped at production since Feb? Why have some cars seemingly moved through production and then shipped? Letter states they still need to test, so i can't imagine any cars have yet finished production with the "fix", right?
I am a pretty patient person, but Porsche really needs to ultimately come clean and be very transparent with what issue is/was for people to have confidence going forward. For those of you who may have to negotiate compensation this piece will be key (unfortunately).
Yeah . This story doesn't make sense. There has to be more information.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:32 PM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Anyone care to guess how Porsche defines 'new'? With 700+ faulty engines coming back and a need for 700+ new ones, my guess is that the returned engines will be updated and resold. If this is limited to those engines that weren't delivered, then they could be considered 'new'. Hence the need for additional new engines is 745+ minus those that were delivered. Just my 2 cents.
The current engines are going to be pulled as an entire assembly "with ancillary parts" (disclaimer: this is speculation) so yes I don't think PAG is just going to throw them away. Probably some engineering analysis, gather up data then "refurb" and throw those engines in the new RS!

I'm joking.

Sort of.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:35 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by green
As advised previously, engineers at Porsche AG have been conducting technical analysis of the Porsche 911 GT3 engine in order to find a solution to the problem which led us to recommend you stop driving your car. This analysis is now completed, and we would like to inform you about the cause of the problem and the planned remedial actions. As already communicated, two vehicles in Europe suffered engine damage, causing the vehicles to catch fire. Analysis has revealed that in both cases the engine damage was caused by a loosened piston rod screw connection which damaged the crankcase. In order to avoid this in the future, an optimized screw connection is currently being tested. For the final validation of this solution, Porsche AG is currently carrying out extensive tests. At Porsche we are rigorous when implementing an engineering solution, therefore, after the successful testing and validation we will be installing new engines with optimized piston rod screw connections in all 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 vehicles. Due to the complexity of the necessary arrangement, we are currently unable to provide you with a specific workshop date for your Porsche 911 GT3. We will be arranging an appointment with you individually, as soon as the logistics planning is finalized. We will be providing you with additional information within the next three weeks. We continue to remain committed to supporting your individual needs during this time. Your personal contact person will make contact with you within the next days to discuss individual solutions to bridge the gap until you are reunited with your Porsche 911 GT3. Thank you very much for your patience and your loyalty to the Porsche brand.
Wow. This is the letter from PCNA?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:35 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by redleg321
The current engines are going to be pulled as an entire assembly "with ancillary parts" (disclaimer: this is speculation) so yes I don't think PAG is just going to throw them away. Probably some engineering analysis, gather up data then "refurb" and throw those engines in the new RS!

I'm joking.

Sort of.
I think the 2015 builds will get them.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?