Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 04:06 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
There're only a few of us left living in the past : me,Wanna,Jimmy,Peter,Stout and Manifold. Sorry if I'm forgetting anyone...
We just need to forget about it and move on. It's just my opinion,of course...
Thank God I am healthy,pretty successful and relatively young. I do not depend on Porsche and never will,I wish them good luck in the future,whether I agree with their direction or not.
I am patiently waiting to grab one of their older products when price will be right.
Ok...internet confession and rant over.

There are more than just us. Like thousands more. Since I still own one I can't completely wash my hands of them. I wanted to stop cheering for them in racing but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Here's to hoping Porsche earns it's way from under VW and makes cars we like again. Until then, I'll have a new Z06 or Viper (pending weight of Z06).

At least Walter agrees with us.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:14 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Count me as part of that group, too. If by "forget about it and move on" you mean move on from Porsche, then yes, I am working on it. I keep hanging around here in case something strange comes over me. I may wake up one day and decide I like eggplant, too. Never know.
I don't think we should necessarily move away from the brand all together or this forum. I believe smart people won't think we are trolls or have an agenda. I am interested in the latest news and read about the new product. If I think I can bring something of value to the discussion,I will contribute,if not I will remain quiet.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:18 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
There are more than just us. Like thousands more. Since I still own one I can't completely wash my hands of them. I wanted to stop cheering for them in racing but couldn't bring myself to do it. Here's to hoping Porsche earns it's way from under VW and makes cars we like again. Until then, I'll have a new Z06 or Viper (pending weight of Z06). At least Walter agrees with us.
I guess I meant the ones that are vocal about it,so to speak...
Yes,I'm definitely cheering for them and own 2.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Maybe. Or, it could be greater than 50-60kg lighter (buckets, magnesium roof, standard PCCBs and a host of other items would make that easily attainable) with 515-525hp, even shorter gear ratios and the aforementioned super fast PDK. Harness this to monster grip chassis and you have a beast.
CF like the TT S...
Old 02-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I think the next GT3RS will have Turbo S body. Id be surprised if it were any wider.
It will most likely have front fender lips to allow slightly more front tire.
Downforce should be via a large wing as usual.
Count on race buckets as seen in euro 991GT3.
Dog tounge door pulls will be standard fare.
Gearing will be more then standard 991GT3.
PDK software should be the same as non RS 991GT3 because I cannot see how it could be anymore efficient for track?
Radio and A/C delete will be back.
Euro only clubsport will return.
Euro only light weight rear window will be there.
Lightweight headlight option is questionable.
Dampers will be valved slightly different if anything.
4.0L DFI with 500hp makes sense.

Buy one of these, drop side mufflers, Install 991Cup size wheels/sticky tires and it should prove to work up a sweat on the track.

Depending on price, id hit it.
I agree with everything you say except I'm skeptical about a bigger displacement engine ... I think this RS will be more like the 7.1 was than the 7.2 ... they may squeeze another 10-15 more out of the current engine, but not via a capacity increase ... just reading my tealeafs your coffee grounds may say different!

I wonder what the difference is between the GT3 and the TTS "body in white" i.e. what inherent weight increase is the RS going to have to negate?

hence my prediction that it will as std come with the TTS CF roof panel.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interestingly Im hearing nothing from the factory regards a larger displacement engine (not that necessarily means anything). I think we will be looking at focus around weight, styling and dynamics here with a small headline increase in power via exhaust,. mapping, gearing and maybe using some of the "latent hp slack" AP reckoned was on the table with the GT3. I can see this machine shaving no more than 7s off the Riog time and maybe 1-2 tenths to 100 (assumes gearing etc).
Old 02-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
But your with a 20 something supermodel who knows and does it all. Just go with the flow and keep the maturing traditionalist in the spare condo.
Pics or it's not true.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:58 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neanicu
There're only a few of us left living in the past : me,Wanna,Jimmy,Peter,Stout and Manifold...
Really????? If you hadn't mentioned it we never would have noticed...
Old 02-03-2014, 06:15 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My dealer said they've heard 4.0, but dealer so...
Old 02-03-2014, 06:45 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I've heard rumors of 4.0 also. I'm surprised that anyone thinks the gearing will be lower. For you guys who have a 991 GT3 already, does it seem like you'd like lower gearing? I don't think they'd want to artificially limit top speed and there is very little room to improve gearing without doing that (assuming redline is not higher).
Old 02-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I'm surprised that anyone thinks the gearing will be lower. For you guys who have a 991 GT3 already, does it seem like you'd like lower gearing? I don't think they'd want to artificially limit top speed and there is very little room to improve gearing without doing that (assuming redline is not higher).
Agree. @70mph the engine is turning about 3000rpm in 7th gear. Not exactly buzzing but not exactly relaxed either; about 700 rpm more than a Carrera in 7th @70. Across the board, gearing does not feel too tall by any means; I wouldn't want shorter gears in the GT3.

Top speed is reached below redline in 7th so there's a bit more room for shorter gearing, but as you say, very little.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Top speed is reached below redline in 7th so there's a bit more room for shorter gearing, but as you say, very little.
Yes, but highest top speed is reached at peak HP with perfect gearing, rather than redline (so, around 8,250 or so - engine is making less power at 9,000). May have to gear just slightly lower to be able to reach peak HP. I think it's pretty close to optimal now...
Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
There is absolutely 0% chance of that......
Has anyone from PAG come out and specifically said that was the case? Didn't August Achleitner@PAG say there would be a special engine in the 991GT3-RS? When does the FIA homologation waiver for the 997GT3-RS expire? What are the odds of Porsche producing another dry-sump motor before 2015?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I agree with everything you say except I'm skeptical about a bigger displacement engine ... I think this RS will be more like the 7.1 was than the 7.2 ... they may squeeze another 10-15 more out of the current engine, but not via a capacity increase ... just reading my tealeafs your coffee grounds may say different!

I wonder what the difference is between the GT3 and the TTS "body in white" i.e. what inherent weight increase is the RS going to have to negate?

hence my prediction that it will as std come with the TTS CF roof panel.
No, superwide, wide enough for 345. How wide are the rear tires of TT?
I'm sure it will be a 4.0.

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Has anyone from PAG come out and specifically said that was the case? Didn't August Achleitner@PAG say there would be a special engine in the 991GT3-RS? When does the FIA homologation waiver for the 997GT3-RS expire? What are the odds of Porsche producing another dry-sump motor before 2015?
I have hopes as well, but for now I just bought the lightest, cheapest 3.6L race proven engine Porsche I could find till it all gets confirmed. It can happen; The 9A1 isn't doing the job..
Old 02-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pete. Hows the 964 treating you? Im imagine youve been circulating much quicker in your past hardware so may seem a bit mundane? I thin you will agree its fun though and provides plenty of chances to fettle racecraft...

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread