Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I'm sure many felt the same about the PDK-S, Drive by Wire, Electronic steering and Rear Wheel Steering as well.
some still do
Old 12-28-2014, 10:43 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
some still do
Indeed, "Beneficial" can be defined in many ways. Incontrovertible that it's beneficial to laptime, but for those of us who are not professionally racing this road car (all of us?), I think it's more relevant to know whether these items put a bigger smile on our faces while pursuing this great hobby. I suspect the results are not the same for all drivers.

If we're all looking for just the best laptime, I'd suggest that there are faster cars available (at a variety of price and prestige levels, both higher and lower than the RS). For me, the subjective aspects mean much more. Perhaps the most important being the car's ability to entertain and challenge me over the long term.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:29 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Indeed, "Beneficial" can be defined in many ways. Incontrovertible that it's beneficial to laptime, but for those of us who are not professionally racing this road car (all of us?), I think it's more relevant to know whether these items put a bigger smile on our faces while pursuing this great hobby. I suspect the results are not the same for all drivers.

If we're all looking for just the best laptime, I'd suggest that there are faster cars available (at a variety of price and prestige levels, both higher and lower than the RS). For me, the subjective aspects mean much more. Perhaps the most important being the car's ability to entertain and challenge me over the long term.
The GT3 or even the RS are nowhere near the best track cars, and certainly not for the money. You want one that's half the weight and faster e.g. Atom, BAC Mono, KTM, Caterham, Radical etc.

The GT3 is more practical/flexible and that is a good reason to buy it. But I think the real reason is engineering awesomeness and the way the car makes you feel. The track argument is man-maths justification (which is fine of course )
Old 12-29-2014, 07:40 AM
LitRbl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9 and 1/2 weeks left until the 85th Geneva International Motor Show, 5-15 March 2015...

http://www.salon-auto.ch/
Old 12-29-2014, 02:04 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Yep, hoping to find out if Geneva is a certainty and maybe will drop by.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:26 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LitRbl
9 and 1/2 weeks left until the 85th Geneva International Motor Show, 5-15 March 2015...

http://www.salon-auto.ch/
Read the book with that title (9 1/2 weeks) it might change your life - sex that is.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:13 AM
LitRbl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allans
Read the book with that title (9 1/2 weeks) it might change your life - sex that is.
Don't worry, it's the first thing that crossed my mind...

Btw is your car Mexico or Riviera? Looks perfect!
Old 12-31-2014, 09:19 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

^ Mexico.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:15 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I was wasting time looking at paint colour formulae on the Glasurit website. No good reason, other than being a PTS customer, I was hoping to learn more about paint. I understand that Porsche uses this company for its paint. Perhaps someone can elaborate or correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is the link for anyone interested:

http://coloronline.glasurit.com/?language=8

The next few paragraphs are a bit of a digression for interest only (if you don't want to read them, skip the next few greyed out paragraphs since they are probably less relevant, and continue with the regular black text).

Let me be the first to say, I really don't know anything about painting cars. But it was a very eye-opening exercise. I've figured out that 22 Line paint is a single coat paint (solid non-metallic colours), whereas 55 Line (solvent-based) and 90 Line (water-based) are two coat (base and clear) paints (metallic and non-metallic colours). I am guessing that 90 Line is what is usually used in the factory(??).

Just a note, they list a lot of different codes for the same colours. For example, just as Eduardo has brought to our attention, there are many codes for Signal Green: 078, 217, 22S, 6828, 7810 (for targa), and 7878 (for coupe). But strangely enough, W25 (MY2007/08 PTS 997 only) does not appear. I'm not entirely sure why, but perhaps it was a one off paint formula that the factory made (???) and not one cataloged by Glasurit. Below is the photo that Eduardo posted of the colour samples for Signal Green (and a couple other greens for comparison).

Anyway, I was looking up my own colour code (Modegrau 61H, used since 1992) and discovered another colour code (Modegrau 531) which was used for the 1950-53 cars. Interestingly, neither is grouped under 911 model (I guess they're technically 356 colours). And also, for some reason, the colour formulae are also different. Since I don't know how to interpret the formula or translate it into a colour in my head, I can only guess that the colours produced by these different formulae result in slightly different colours. And I must assume that this means that the current modegrau differs slightly from the original version. From photos I've seen, the old pre A 356s seem slightly darker to me than the more current PTS cars painted in this same colour. So perhaps there is a real difference? Not sure why this change, but perhaps the current formula was PTS based on a colour sample sent to the factory, but not completely comparable to the original? That would be a bit unusual given that the original formula exists and there are presumably experts out there (Paterek, etc) who could have access to accurate samples with original paint.

This is in contrast to Gulfblau, where there are several different codes, but 328 (currently on the PTS list) and all the others (036, 3636, 6010, 6060) all use identical formulae, at least on the Glasurit site. (Conekilr, that means your particular version of Gulf Blue should be a perfect colour match to all the other correct Gulfblau cars out there!!)

Anyway, the reason why I bothered to post this long-winded post, is because of a couple of other interesting findings. First, I noted that all colours, even rare ones, seem to be listed. Example, there is Sport Classic Grey (63A, a favourite of mine). And even the 918 liquid metal colours are listed!

Second, and the reason I'm posting this on the RS thread, is that I've found a new orange 911 colour that I had not heard of (in addition to Blutorange and other orange colours). It's called Lavaorange (M2A) and is listed as current from 2013. Lava orange does not come up on a google search. And it does not appear on the current PTS list. Is this possibly the new RS colour? There have been rumours of a "java orange" and perhaps this is it! Here is a clip from my search for orange 911 colours:

Even more interesting, if one searches for colours current to 2013-2020 for the 911, then this also brings up the new colours that we've seen on the GT3 and 50th (Amaranth red, Graphite grey, CWM, Rhodium, Sapphire blue, etc) as well as a few new ones we haven't seen!

The new ones are:
Lavaorange (mentioned above)
Miamiblau M5C 2014-2016
Nachtblau met M5F 2015-2016
("Midnight Blue" metallic vs the pearl version).
Does this mean that there may be a blue colour coming on the RS?? We've heard rumours of a purple, but unfortunately I didn't see any others that might qualify as purple. So perhaps the Miami blue will have a purple hue to it?!! Also a new Midnight blue metallic (seems to be distinct from Dark blue metallic M5X). Or perhaps another 911 model in the near future could have these colours (GT2??)? And finally, the results of the above search also produce a couple of new matte colours:
Platinum met seidenmatt 0B5 2014-2015 (note "seiden" in German means silk)!!
Schwarz matt 0K1 2014-2014
Perhaps these will be forthcoming on the RS too (i.e. the rumoured silver and black colours)!!! (Also, a strange thing, the colour code for Matte Black (0K1) is the same as for Oryx White Metallic (also 0K1).)

Anyway, I thought I'd post these observations and get the rumour mill going! Anyone with some time to mine the data on the Glasurit website, please go ahead. It seems to contain a wealth of great info. Just wish I could somehow translate the formulas to real colours. Anyone who is able to go to a paint shop and get them to paint up some samples, please, please, PLEASE post some photos and show us what you uncover!!!

Happy new year!
Old 01-01-2015, 05:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^ Great work mate. very through. Im sure like teh Michelin tyre guide you have identified something here and the delayed RS production has meant that this information is already in the public domain. Im betting Lava Orange is indeed the launch colour for the RS - would make sense to me. Something new. The blues are harder to tell. Being metallics I would guess possibly future destined for more "pedestrian" models...
Old 01-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by <3mph
I was wasting time looking at paint colour formulae on the Glasurit website. No good reason, other than being a PTS customer, I was hoping to learn more about paint. I understand that Porsche uses this company for its paint. Perhaps someone can elaborate or correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is the link for anyone interested:

http://coloronline.glasurit.com/?language=8

The next few paragraphs are a bit of a digression for interest only (if you don't want to read them, skip the next few greyed out paragraphs since they are probably less relevant, and continue with the regular black text).

Let me be the first to say, I really don't know anything about painting cars. But it was a very eye-opening exercise. I've figured out that 22 Line paint is a single coat paint (solid non-metallic colours), whereas 55 Line (solvent-based) and 90 Line (water-based) are two coat (base and clear) paints (metallic and non-metallic colours). I am guessing that 90 Line is what is usually used in the factory(??).

Just a note, they list a lot of different codes for the same colours. For example, just as Eduardo has brought to our attention, there are many codes for Signal Green: 078, 217, 22S, 6828, 7810 (for targa), and 7878 (for coupe). But strangely enough, W25 (MY2007/08 PTS 997 only) does not appear. I'm not entirely sure why, but perhaps it was a one off paint formula that the factory made (???) and not one cataloged by Glasurit. Below is the photo that Eduardo posted of the colour samples for Signal Green (and a couple other greens for comparison).

Anyway, I was looking up my own colour code (Modegrau 61H, used since 1992) and discovered another colour code (Modegrau 531) which was used for the 1950-53 cars. Interestingly, neither is grouped under 911 model (I guess they're technically 356 colours). And also, for some reason, the colour formulae are also different. Since I don't know how to interpret the formula or translate it into a colour in my head, I can only guess that the colours produced by these different formulae result in slightly different colours. And I must assume that this means that the current modegrau differs slightly from the original version. From photos I've seen, the old pre A 356s seem slightly darker to me than the more current PTS cars painted in this same colour. So perhaps there is a real difference? Not sure why this change, but perhaps the current formula was PTS based on a colour sample sent to the factory, but not completely comparable to the original? That would be a bit unusual given that the original formula exists and there are presumably experts out there (Paterek, etc) who could have access to accurate samples with original paint.

This is in contrast to Gulfblau, where there are several different codes, but 328 (currently on the PTS list) and all the others (036, 3636, 6010, 6060) all use identical formulae, at least on the Glasurit site. (Conekilr, that means your particular version of Gulf Blue should be a perfect colour match to all the other correct Gulfblau cars out there!!)

Anyway, the reason why I bothered to post this long-winded post, is because of a couple of other interesting findings. First, I noted that all colours, even rare ones, seem to be listed. Example, there is Sport Classic Grey (63A, a favourite of mine). And even the 918 liquid metal colours are listed!

Second, and the reason I'm posting this on the RS thread, is that I've found a new orange 911 colour that I had not heard of (in addition to Blutorange and other orange colours). It's called Lavaorange (M2A) and is listed as current from 2013. Lava orange does not come up on a google search. And it does not appear on the current PTS list. Is this possibly the new RS colour? There have been rumours of a "java orange" and perhaps this is it! Here is a clip from my search for orange 911 colours:

Even more interesting, if one searches for colours current to 2013-2020 for the 911, then this also brings up the new colours that we've seen on the GT3 and 50th (Amaranth red, Graphite grey, CWM, Rhodium, Sapphire blue, etc) as well as a few new ones we haven't seen!

The new ones are:
Lavaorange (mentioned above)
Miamiblau M5C 2014-2016
Nachtblau met M5F 2015-2016
("Midnight Blue" metallic vs the pearl version).
Does this mean that there may be a blue colour coming on the RS?? We've heard rumours of a purple, but unfortunately I didn't see any others that might qualify as purple. So perhaps the Miami blue will have a purple hue to it?!! Also a new Midnight blue metallic (seems to be distinct from Dark blue metallic M5X). Or perhaps another 911 model in the near future could have these colours (GT2??)? And finally, the results of the above search also produce a couple of new matte colours:
Platinum met seidenmatt 0B5 2014-2015 (note "seiden" in German means silk)!!
Schwarz matt 0K1 2014-2014
Perhaps these will be forthcoming on the RS too (i.e. the rumoured silver and black colours)!!! (Also, a strange thing, the colour code for Matte Black (0K1) is the same as for Oryx White Metallic (also 0K1).)

Anyway, I thought I'd post these observations and get the rumour mill going! Anyone with some time to mine the data on the Glasurit website, please go ahead. It seems to contain a wealth of great info. Just wish I could somehow translate the formulas to real colours. Anyone who is able to go to a paint shop and get them to paint up some samples, please, please, PLEASE post some photos and show us what you uncover!!!

Happy new year!

By chance are you a detective??LOLOL

AWESOME WORK!
Old 01-01-2015, 10:47 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great work <3mph, interesting info. I'm sure Eduardo will chime in with some more developing info. I guess my only question to this point on PTS solid colours [non-metallic] vs solid colours [non-PTS]..... is there any difference between the two paints and the process by which they apply it [paint] on the car??? I'm assuming the answer should be no???
Old 01-01-2015, 11:48 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
^^^^ Great work mate. very through. Im sure like teh Michelin tyre guide you have identified something here and the delayed RS production has meant that this information is already in the public domain. Im betting Lava Orange is indeed the launch colour for the RS - would make sense to me. Something new. The blues are harder to tell. Being metallics I would guess possibly future destined for more "pedestrian" models...
Thanks Macca. The delay makes sense for the reason why this info is available. I agree that the new Lava orange seems to fit the bill for the RS. As for the blue colours, one of them, Miami blue, is not metallic. I searched around and found that a colour with a similar name was used by VW in the 1970s. It also appears on the Glasurit website, but with a different colour code (L51C). So I'm not sure if the two will look similar at all. But FWIW, there are a few photos on the web of VW Golfs and Beetles, reportedly in this colour. It appears to be a light blue, with more saturation in some photos than Gulf blue and Meissen blue. Regardless, IMO a non-metallic blue colour could look great on the RS, so hopefully whatever Miamiblau is, here's hoping it will be an option for the RS. And, that's a smart guess on the new metallic Midnight blue--maybe a new colour for the 992 models?

Last edited by <3mph; 01-01-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:50 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin
By chance are you a detective??LOLOL

AWESOME WORK!
Thanks, Nick. Guy Noir, at your service! LOL
Old 01-01-2015, 12:03 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by bronson7
Great work <3mph, interesting info. I'm sure Eduardo will chime in with some more developing info. I guess my only question to this point on PTS solid colours [non-metallic] vs solid colours [non-PTS]..... is there any difference between the two paints and the process by which they apply it [paint] on the car??? I'm assuming the answer should be no???
Thanks, I purposely planted references to Eduardo in my post, hoping the same thing! Here's my best answer to your question, bronson. With respect to solid, non-metallic colours, I'm not sure there is any difference in the paint whether it was specced as a PTS option or (in the past when available) a standard non-PTS colour option (if I'm interpreting your question correctly). For example, due to the change from Basalt black met to Jet black met from 2014 to 2015, eilig (here on RL) had to use PTS to get this previously standard 2014 colour for his 2015 GT3 since it was no longer available otherwise, but I would imagine there is no difference whatsoever in the paint. Indeed, many PTS colours are the same paint (exact same formula) as had been used in the past (eg. Gulf blue, even though there are many codes; and Mexico blue which has only ever had one code (336) since 1974-75 according to the Glasurit website). OTOH, there are other colours, like Signal green, which have gone through various changes in the formula over time. Since the only way to get this green nowadays is via PTS, today's version of Signal green is different from previous standard iterations of the colour.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread