Sponsored by:

AIM Solo in a 991 GT3 - Forget about the OBDII Cable Connection

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I responded offline, but I think you've found the issue. Only one set, the second may be doubled back.
Attached Images  
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-25-2014, 09:35 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question regarding the Solo DL. Can I use the same Solo for 2 different cars. I plan on using 2 separate CAN connectors, one on each car. Do I have the freedom of plug and play or does the Solo have to be configured for each vehicle? I understand the G meter should be re-calibrated after any repositioning. Thanks
Old 02-25-2014, 09:41 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27
Quick question regarding the Solo DL. Can I use the same Solo for 2 different cars. I plan on using 2 separate CAN connectors, one on each car. Do I have the freedom of plug and play or does the Solo have to be calibrated for each vehicle? I understand the G meter should be re-calibrated after any repositioning.

Thanks
Yes, you can use the solo for different cars. I switch between my spyder and BRZ (and plan to run with the GT3 as well). However, the solo needs to be reprogrammed for each individual car. So, if you plan on running the solo with 2 different cars the same day, you need to bring your laptop with you to reprogram the solo protocol for the car you are using. Each time you reprogram the solo, the memory gets wiped out, so you will need to download all of your data for the day before you reprogram. Hope that makes sense...?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Yes, you can use the solo for different cars. I switch between my spyder and BRZ (and plan to run with the GT3 as well). However, the solo needs to be reprogrammed for each individual car. So, if you plan on running the solo with 2 different cars the same day, you need to bring your laptop with you to reprogram the solo protocol for the car you are using. Each time you reprogram the solo, the memory gets wiped out, so you will need to download all of your data for the day before you reprogram. Hope that makes sense...?
Got it! Thank you for the reply orthojoe!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:20 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Takes about 30 seconds to switch configs.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:10 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

I have a Solo DL (CAN) on the way.. Yay toys!!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:35 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@Ringmeister27 -- You've got all the fun toys!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:07 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
That's good to know. Thanks for posting.

I use this connector that Jerry at austin motorports sells to allow a quick disconnect from the CAN line, and also allows me to use the connector on multiple cars.
Great. I want to go with the SOLO DL/ CAN on a 991 GT3. -- It's great cause i think I can use it on my BMW 1000rr race bike as well. (I have the 2D hp Race logger BUT can't export csv file for overlay onto gopro videos w/ DASH-Ware which I desperately need to analyze my videos --- , and haven't been able to crack the binary data files.. LOL)...

btw.. AIM don't show the cable kit for 991 CAN.. Just ODBC. How do you guys connect the CAN.. I looked at Jerry's Austin Motorsport and didn't see any cables listed. Sounds like there might be some soldering involved. -- Is there a HOW-TO somewhere. -- thx a lot.

P.S. I will have the plug and play connector for the Bike.. ---Hmml.. can I mod it.
Attached Images   
Old 07-29-2014, 08:22 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

All three of us can help.

Your chart is from Richard at M-World in Texas.

Jerry can help with a CAN cable with unterminated (bare) ends on one end, a deutsch clip-on connector at the other (the quick disconnect) and another with a deutsch connector on one end and the 7-pin screw on Binder connector (like the metal end of the BMW connector sold by AIM) on the other. You would need to solder or crimp to the twisted pair in your 991.

I will sell one lead that looks like your BMW cable but is unterminated on the white clip end, that also requires soldering or a proper crimp to the twisted pair as illustrated above. You can use a Velcro strap to secure the lead under the dash when not in use.

There is a good 991 CAN template, more stuff faster from the CAN.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:10 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Just wondering can obd2 socket be removed from fusebox and relocated to a better spot. Probably the cable wire is all taped up with the rest of the other wires which probably not worth doing. Just a thought. Mike
Old 07-30-2014, 08:20 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It could be...

But I have sold several Solo DL's with OBD-II 90-degree cables (that's what comes with it in OBD-II versus CAN form) to 991 drivers with no issues.

Below are first the OBD-II channels available (and what can be shown real-time on the optional, connected SmartyCam HD) and below, the CAN channels available by direct wire.

Note that the sampling rates can be adjusted UP for most channels in CAN, but not in OBD-II. These are just screen grabs of configurations as I set them up for people before sending the Solo DL.
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2014, 02:47 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
All three of us can help.

Your chart is from Richard at M-World in Texas.

Jerry can help with a CAN cable with unterminated (bare) ends on one end, a deutsch clip-on connector at the other (the quick disconnect) and another with a deutsch connector on one end and the 7-pin screw on Binder connector (like the metal end of the BMW connector sold by AIM) on the other. You would need to solder or crimp to the twisted pair in your 991.

I will sell one lead that looks like your BMW cable but is unterminated on the white clip end, that also requires soldering or a proper crimp to the twisted pair as illustrated above. You can use a Velcro strap to secure the lead under the dash when not in use.

There is a good 991 CAN template, more stuff faster from the CAN.
Ok. .I'm catching up.. I bought both these cables, ODBC, and CAN. I'll do the ODBC first, but for the CAN let me know if there is a wiring diagram, connector,and or instructions I can buy from you.. -- PM me if needed. I know I'm gong to want the CAN. (omg. 15 years ago i worked for cummins in IN and wrote sw for J1939, SAE 1708, and CAN protocol, but never hooked up the hardware, that was done for us.. LOL. I'd love to buy some chip sets and play around when I have time)

BTW--saw your web page.. Nice. Hope to get some training some day. When I cant' race Motorcycles anymore, I hope the skills transfer to cars.
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2014, 02:32 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Go with CAN and you'll not look back. Just so many more relevant data channels. Like brake brake pressure, steering angular speed, temps, and oil pressure. For me the brake pressure alone is reason enough. Higher refresh rate too--up to 50Hz in some channels.
+1 I got my Solo DL connected via CAN and love it.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Well, what's nice is little by little, with just about every new release of the Race Studio 2 (configuration software), more functionality is added. Now, you can get brake pressure via OBD-II from 991's and some other cars! Yes, IMO, CAN is better (as CRex pointed out, more channels, like four individual wheel speeds AND bake pressures), but for those with any aversion to a direct connection, there exists an easy alternative that still allows for very valuable harvesting of information.

Still, the maximum value for most drivers appears to be the ability of the Solo DL to "translate" this information and send it to the SmartyCam HD, yielding an instantly playable video WITH accelerator pedal position (driver confidence) and brake pedal pressure (maybe not so much? Or supreme confidence! <grin>), RPM and gear ALREADY on it.

Then, if you or a coach wants to dig deeper, all the info in strip charts, G-G plots (friction circle) and other colored maps is there...

Man, this tech is awesome! It's come a long way from those CAT days! <big grin>
Old 02-05-2015, 10:53 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

got mine delivered today!

Quick Reply: AIM Solo in a 991 GT3 - Forget about the OBDII Cable Connection