Sponsored by:

Euro delivery

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:06 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro delivery

So I plan Euro delivery. I have clients to meet in Nice, FR (and various cities in DE). By the time a delivery date opens up I'll be overdue for my next trip to EP for business.

Last two trips I visited Cologne, Dusseldorf, Munich, Hamburg and Amsterdam. Before that Paris, Nice and Monaco. I would plan delivery in Zuffenhausen. I'm thinking of Nice and Monaco again, and maybe making it to Milan (I've never been to Italy) before returning to Zuff.

For those who have traveled around Europe (I've only been 3x), what would you recommend?

I don't speak German or French, but I would likely take one of my friends who is German and fluent in French.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:30 PM
frayed
Race Car

Forgot to mention I have meetings as well in Willich. So naturally the ring's north loop must be driven.

Anyone driven Spa?
Old 04-14-2013, 07:14 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PM: teamdrugmoney
He did euro del of his 010 GT3 and has driven both
The North Loop and Spa
Old 04-14-2013, 07:27 PM
frayed
Race Car

awesome. thx
Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
awesome. thx
Regarding Italy - there are some cool spots along the cost. Genova, for example, is similar to Nice, just much cheaper and less touristy (unless it's during some big conference). As for Milan, and actually other big cities in Italy, roads around them are generally big highways, and once you get in the city it's not very safe for the car - spend enough time driving in the city, and someone will find a way to scratch or ding it if not worse. The further south the worse it gets. I've seen an M5 with graffiti on it in Rome, and in Sicily rubbing bumpers in traffic seems to be acceptable... Driving and general respect for cars/property is nowhere near what you see in Germany.

I like roads in Alps near Munich and towards Switzerland - there were few places where I was not confident driving speed limit, which has not happened to me before or after.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

We love Austria and Switzerland. Sounds like you've been to many urban areas; you might try the Alps. Many great roads, incredible scenery. We've stayed several times in Grindelwald, a nice little town near Interlaken at the foot of the Eiger mountain in Switzerland. Just a spectacular area. No problems with language as almost all Swiss hotel and restaurant proprietors speak English.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:44 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
We love Austria and Switzerland. Sounds like you've been to many urban areas; you might try the Alps. Many great roads, incredible scenery. We've stayed several times in Grindelwald, a nice little town near Interlaken at the foot of the Eiger mountain in Switzerland. Just a spectacular area. No problems with language as almost all Swiss hotel and restaurant proprietors speak English.
We absolutely love Switzerland, Austria and Northern Italy- you really can't go wrong. Note of caution however, I believe Grindelwald doesn't allow any cars, and is accessed by tram only (I could be mistaken), but it doesn't change the point that in the Alps some of the best spots are not very car friendly and/or require you leave your car in a public car park during your stay. I want to emphasize though that these are some of the best spots- it's worth figuring something out to visit. Gimmelwald (google Rick Steves for more detail) is like staying in a Swiss Village on the top of Yosemite valley- truly spectacular scenery.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by montoya
We absolutely love Switzerland, Austria and Northern Italy- you really can't go wrong. Note of caution however, I believe Grindelwald doesn't allow any cars, and is accessed by tram only (I could be mistaken), but it doesn't change the point that in the Alps some of the best spots are not very car friendly and/or require you leave your car in a public car park during your stay. I want to emphasize though that these are some of the best spots- it's worth figuring something out to visit. Gimmelwald (google Rick Steves for more detail) is like staying in a Swiss Village on the top of Yosemite valley- truly spectacular scenery.
Actually, montoya, it is possible to drive to and in Grindelwald; at least that was the case in 1999 when I did tourist delivery of my 996 and still again in 2009 when I picked up my 997.2 S. I was able to park in reserved parking right near our hotels both times. It's one of the reasons we chose Grindelwald on those trips instead of Murren, Wengen, or Gimmelwald which are in the same area, and that as you say, can only be reached by tram.

We've also stayed in Zell Am See in Austria, a resort town that should be familiar to any Porsche enthusiast. It's a nice town on the lake that is a great jumping off point to many of the mountain roads and other sights in the area.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Actually, montoya, it is possible to drive to and in Grindelwald; at least that was the case in 1999 when I did tourist delivery of my 996 and still again in 2009 when I picked up my 997.2 S. I was able to park in reserved parking right near our hotels both times. It's one of the reasons we chose Grindelwald on those trips instead of Murren, Wengen, or Gimmelwald which are in the same area, and that as you say, can only be reached by tram.

We've also stayed in Zell Am See in Austria, a resort town that should be familiar to any Porsche enthusiast. It's a nice town on the lake that is a great jumping off point to many of the mountain roads and other sights in the area.
Ahh, Murren is the town I was thinking of that is car free, right next to Gimmelwald. Worth a visit! I stand corrected!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:01 PM
frayed
Race Car

Thanks for the tips.

I talked to my dealer today and learned some interesting things.

- PAG invoices the dealer for the euro delivery, cost 3k.

- PAG generally will give an extra allocation to dealers sending customers for euro delivery, and other 'perks' to make up for the cost.

- The much simplified euro delivery process and enhance exposure has spiked people from the US taking euro delivery (don't have to front VAT and some assorted items). Local dealer has sent 15 customers in last 3 years. The preceding 10 years (I think that was the number) only had 5 customers.

- A front plate is mandatory to leave the the site. Consequently, I'll bring or ship the tow hook plate item to avoid them tapping the front bumper

- you get metal plates and get to keep them

- 918 owners get a day on the track with one of Porsche factory drivers if you take delivery in Leipzig. He's checking into whether they will do a special version of the delivery for GT cars. That would be freaking cool.

- gotta pay in full in advance. I think he said 45 or 60 days, so they can arrange for insurance coverage and whatnot.

- PAG marketing believes that those who do the euro delivery have high likelihood of being lifelong customers, after drinking the kool aide.

You guys probably knew all this, but thought I'd share.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

You will be taking delivery in the winter?

BTW. I would not want to drive the car in Milan.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 PM
frayed
Race Car

No. currently under investigation is the allocation of an early slot for fall delivery. if that doesn't work out, i'll wait till spring. Macca's post doesn't bode well for me though, as US spec cars are slated for October production.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by frayed
Thanks for the tips.

- A front plate is mandatory to leave the the site. Consequently, I'll bring or ship the tow hook plate item to avoid them tapping the front bumper

- you get metal plates and get to keep them
I hope the tow hook solution doesn't run afoul of some German TUV regulation and that they'll let you do it. Definitely do make arrangements in advance, because if you just bring it with you it will be too late. Your car will already have been prepared and waiting for you in the delivery area on delivery day, no doubt with a front plate mounted.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:15 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

wow, i am jealous.
go for it.
it's a lifetime memory.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I had to cancel my Euro delivery in Feb '10 as there was 2' of snow.

-Ring
-Spa
-Alps

Quick Reply: Euro delivery