Sponsored by:

What the full-monty means to us [video featuring a brand new 991 GT3RS]

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 11:50 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Cool What the full-monty means to us [video featuring a brand new 991 GT3RS]

1,053 miles separate the owner and our facility but still, this is the 2nd car he has had us perform our services on. He wanted the best we had and that's what he got.

We picked the car up from the dealership out of state and towed it back to our facility in our enclosed car hauler.
More here

Once back in our facility, we began by performing a thorough and safe wash and decontamination to strip away any wax, sealant, glaze, bonded contaminates or polish residue. This allowed us to inspect the condition of the clear coat. As you can see in the video, the clear coat had intensive sanding marks, scratches and haze. We performed a paint correction service to level the defects before installing paint protection film.

The video shows off how even brand new cars can have intensive damage without any street miles or the dealership's hands touching it. This was how the car came to us from the factory.

Once the car was perfected, we washed it again to remove existing dust and started on a full body paint protection film wrap.

After the wrap was completed, we installed Modesta BC-04 to give it the most mac-daddy gloss possible coupled with the easiest washes imaginable.

The wheels and calipers were coated with Modesta BC-06 which has industry leading heat resistance to ensure track time never breaks down the coating.

Finally, when she was all buttoned up she was towed back up to Michigan.

Thanks for watching and be sure to subscribe to our Youtube channel and please share if you enjoyed it! If you have any questions, fire away!

Last edited by Detailed Designs; 07-24-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:48 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

^Do you recommend applying nano coatings after PPF?
Is there any benefit to applying on the paint prior to PPF install?
Old 03-25-2017, 01:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Great craftsmanship. Is the heat step required to cure the Modesta, or only as a way to accelerate the curing process for on-time customer delivery? Time & temp? Thank you.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:14 PM
timwu12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, i took a look at your links and your work is amazing!

what's it cost for your full body clear bra + modesta on paint and glass? I read in your white GT3 job thread that you spent north of 100 hours on labor, I can't imagine what that job would've cost!
Old 03-25-2017, 03:19 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Always amazing
Old 03-25-2017, 03:25 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

This is a $10-12k service and product offering, I'm sure.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:49 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

What is the cost of this service? I will be having 991.2 GT3 coming this fall and would be interested in getting type of work done once delivered.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:30 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
My understanding is the best bet is to apply the PPF before nano but after correction. The nano can impact adhesion of the PPF.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:35 PM
timwu12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, JC, what's your take on clear bra'ing immediately after delivery with all the talk regarding the paint outgassing?
Old 03-25-2017, 09:55 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
My understanding is the best bet is to apply the PPF before nano but after correction. The nano can impact adhesion of the PPF.
This is correct, first PPF then a nano coating.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:38 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

TY sir..
Old 03-26-2017, 08:45 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RealityGT
If you go with a coating and PPF, always install the coating over the PPF. In short, installing a coating first is a waste in my opinion.

Originally Posted by LexVan
Great craftsmanship. Is the heat step required to cure the Modesta, or only as a way to accelerate the curing process for on-time customer delivery? Time & temp? Thank you.
Thank you very much.

The shortwave infrared curing process is required for Modesta. While many have adopted this process as a flashy marketing ploy, the specific reason we use a short wave IR process is to ensure the base layer of the coating is cured before it leaves. This has been mandatory for Modesta coatings from day 1. The energy penetrates the coating and heats the substrate. It is not a means to completely cure the Modesta glass coating. Even after the IR process, Modesta coatings require 2 weeks to completely cure the whole membrane. The thickness of the Modesta/glass(silica/si02) coating simply requires time and there is no substitute.

Modesta requires a temp of 50-60 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes. It doesn't seem like much until you realize that getting every portion of the paint to that temp is quite time consuming. There is a ton of real estate on even a 991. Even with our programmable IR 3 tube lamps, the process takes many hours to complete.

Originally Posted by timwu12
wow, i took a look at your links and your work is amazing!

what's it cost for your full body clear bra + modesta on paint and glass? I read in your white GT3 job thread that you spent north of 100 hours on labor, I can't imagine what that job would've cost!
Thank you for the kind words. I will relay your sentiments to my guys. Every single project is a team effort. While it's my vision and training, all of us work very hard to make each project what it is.

The range of our services range greatly. For new car protection services, one can spend, on the low end, about $1300. On the high end, someone can spend $15,000. Think of it much like how much a "911 costs". Optioned out, a "911" can be $245k. Base with zero options is about $91k. But no matter what, it will have "PORSCHE" on the back.

Originally Posted by STG
Always amazing
Thank you!

Originally Posted by LexVan
This is a $10-12k service and product offering, I'm sure.
I will leave what the tab was up to the owner to express should he wish to.

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
What is the cost of this service? I will be having 991.2 GT3 coming this fall and would be interested in getting type of work done once delivered.
If you would like to discuss options, feel free to reach out to me personally. Trust me when I say I spend a ton of time going over educating our clients and ensuring we create a great solution for each one. Before you make your choice, you will know more about these services than many professionals in my industry do.

Bingo. There are nuances that can affect this statement but for the masses, this is the best and simplest information to digest.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:00 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a top notch work, no questions asked.
But it makes me think how afterwards you look after this kind of protection? I mean it's more worth now than painting the bumper and hood a couple of times so from financial point of view it doesn't make sense. On top of that a car will always look much better without the wrap.
I was thinking long about doing exactly the same job to my car as I track it occasionally. And knowing my luck the stone is anyway going to hit the place which is not protected! For the time being I am using paint shied that does the job but is huge PITA to apply before each trackday (2-3h job). And I also have paint corrected and ceramic coating

Nevertheless great result!
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2017, 09:21 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by qbix
It's a top notch work, no questions asked.
But it makes me think how afterwards you look after this kind of protection? I mean it's more worth now than painting the bumper and hood a couple of times so from financial point of view it doesn't make sense. On top of that a car will always look much better without the wrap.
I was thinking long about doing exactly the same job to my car as I track it occasionally. And knowing my luck the stone is anyway going to hit the place which is not protected! For the time being I am using paint shied that does the job but is huge PITA to apply before each trackday (2-3h job). And I also have paint corrected and ceramic coating

Nevertheless great result!

There isn't a great way for me to respond other than sounding like I am trying to sell it ... I don't mean to sound that way.

How one cares for the car after this service is very straight forward. Use proper car care. There is nothing complicated to the ongoing care and that's a big benefit that moves many to do it. One just washes with the right tools and right chemicals. There are some maintenance sprays used once in a while but they are as easy to use as a quick detailer. It will reward proper care with a car that looks better than otherwise possible. Impact damage from debris thrown up off the road will be greatly minimized(in most cases, owners never have a penetration but it is possible to have something penetrate as it's not a silver bullet for keeping a car perfect), scuffs from people rubbing against the car will be completely gone, vandalism isn't near as great a concern, natural elements will never penetrate the film and affect the paint and it will look pretty incredible with just good car care habits.

To the point of how it looks I can offer this.
We have people come to my shop for consultations all the time. Depending on the day and the projects we are working on, they may come in when we have completed a PPF wrap that covers the full front clip but nothing else. Literally more times than I can recall, someone has walked up and ask why the owner did not have PPF installed. They were under the impression that they could tell when PPF was installed. Some have even come in for detailing, mocked the idea of PPF and then walked out and into that scenario. They changed their mind after that.

For the owner who hates sand pitting/blasting and rock chips, they think a PPF wrapped surface looks superior. But this is where I think there is a divide among owners. Here's the bottom line on the topic. It's not for everyone. Some love it, some don't care for it and some walk in a gray area between the two. But for owners who dread a respray and all the negatives that tend to come with a respray, not having PPF installed is not an option.

If one gets a service like this, get it for yourself. Sure, there will be benefits when it comes to selling the car. But the peace of mind it offers the current owner is the biggest benefit. Just hop in and enjoy the car....don't sweat the small stuff.

Quick Reply: What the full-monty means to us [video featuring a brand new 991 GT3RS]