Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I upgrade my GT4 to the new manual GT3??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 12:12 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Thanks - very excited!
Old 03-28-2017, 03:35 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yeah, I am sure you are right about the GT3 being easy to manage at a faster pace. I just hope it's not too easy. My 73 911 feels Much faster at 2:05 laptime than my GT4 does at 2:02 and it's so much more involving, exciting, and fun. Hope the GT3 maintains enough of an edge to stay rewarding and just scary enough to get the adrenaline pumping (I bet it will)
No worries on that, Grant. I had the same doubts when I left the air-cooled, analog world of vintage Porsches for the modern, computerized GT3. I had to dig out an old post of mine on the facebook R Gruppe page and post it here for you:

I would agree with you (and probably everyone) that it is easier to "go fast" in the newer 911 cars than the old ones. But I would have to say from personal experience, having owned 7 early 911 hot rods from 1966-1974 over the last 20 years and driving them all at the limit on track, it is "easy" to drive a 991 GT3 faster than any of them, but it is just as challenging to drive the new GT3 close to the limit, because it is so much faster and the limits are so much higher. It may be "easy" to drive, but it is more difficult to wring the maximum out of it consistently because it is so damn fast. And I would have to say I am amazed at how lively, involving, and exhilarating the driving experience is in the 991 GT3 at the limit. It reminds me very much of my old '67 911S on super-steroids, despite weighing 1000 lbs. more. It is definitely not just a car "for rich mums on the school run and rich guys with no real interest in driving," as claimed above. That's my $0.02, and worth everything you paid for it.
and a little further along in the discussion I wrote:
Nothing wrong with a little nostalgia and an appreciation of how things used to be, I have that myself. But the Porsche engineers have not forgotten how to build a driver's car, despite the industry requirements for safety, comfort, emissions, etc. these days. The 991 GT3 can still make my heart pound and my mind meld with it when I flog it hard, despite it's computer-controlled complexity and it's ability to drive like your grandmother's sedan on the street. It's really quite an astonishing car.
I assure you there will be no lack of challenge or adrenaline pumping if you are able to obtain one of the new GT3s and really wring it out at the track.

TT
Old 03-28-2017, 03:43 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
I assure you there will be no lack of challenge or adrenaline pumping if you are able to obtain one of the new GT3s and really wring it out at the track.
I could not have said it better.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:44 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

GT4 is a cool car but it's not a 911...
Old 03-28-2017, 03:59 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

not exactly empirical, but when my GT4 blew up at MSR cresson a few weeks ago, an amazing human being handed me the keys to his MX5 Cup car (playboy series). I had a blast - and even in that car there were 991GT3s that had to let me by. You don't need HP to have fun (if you do you'll wake up one morning in a GT2RS).

Congrats on the move! I hope to be there with the .2.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
Thanks, Tom!
Old 03-28-2017, 05:18 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
not exactly empirical, but when my GT4 blew up at MSR cresson a few weeks ago, an amazing human being handed me the keys to his MX5 Cup car (playboy series). I had a blast - and even in that car there were 991GT3s that had to let me by. You don't need HP to have fun (if you do you'll wake up one morning in a GT2RS).

Congrats on the move! I hope to be there with the .2.
+1. Every track rat garage should contain a Miata, if you can fit in one. I don't care which kind. For what you spend on aftermarket GT3 wheels, you can literally buy an NB. Not to mention, it helps round out your driving skills.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:11 AM
Gtsilvergt4
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just resurrecting this thread to seek out more comments.
I do have a confirmed Manual GT3 allocation with February delivery that I almost certainly will take. I will probably keep the GT4 for now and decide which one I keep after I have them both.
I sat in a turboS this weekend and I must say I like the cockpit feel of the GT4 better. But, the new GT3 engine, better gearing ratios and better lower end torque are strong selling points for me.
Cosmetically I like the GT3 from behind better but from other views, GT4 wins for me.

I'm really unsure which one I will keep.
Upgrading the GT4 with Fabspeed package and calling it a day is an option.....
Old 07-03-2017, 12:04 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

GTsilvergt4

Did you experienced already ones a 991.1 GT3 or RS - or 997 3.8 GT3 engine?

If not - i guess you will sit in the near future only in the 991.2GT3 and you will sell your GT4.
If yes - you should upgrade your GT4 in the first day. Because than you really like the concept of the Cayman a lot.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:45 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

The Cayman is the superior platform, but Porsche neutered it on purpose, to avoid stepping on the 911s toes. Even Porsche thought it was time to let the 911 go, replacing it with the 928. Nobody else has built, or is building a rear-engine car for a reason. Yes, Porsche has done miracles with it, but the issue with me is how the car FEELS, not that it's extremely capable, which it is. Anyway, as several folks already commented, the answer to swap it or not depends if you like how the 911 feels, not only in terms of balance (Cayman is better, obviously), but size and looks. And if you need the extra performance afforded by the GT3. The real dilemma for most of us is the engine. If Porsche offered that engine on the Cayman, along with the GT3's suspension upgrades, I suspect the GT3 would be dead. The reality is you have to choose between 2 flawed alternatives, so make your list of pros and cons, and make that determination yourself. My guess is Porsche will have no choice but to offer a mid-engine '911' in the future, as evidenced by the RSR. The rear-engine 911 already is at its limits, and the competition keeps improving. At any rate, good luck with your decision.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:52 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The more I drive the GT4 (and especially after a recent back to back experience with a 991.2 GTS) the more I am convinced that I will find a way to keep it regardless of whatever else I buy.

The new car shinyness may have diminished somewhat, but I really feel its beginning to age like a fine wine.

Quick Reply: Should I upgrade my GT4 to the new manual GT3??