Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I upgrade my GT4 to the new manual GT3??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 12:04 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Old 03-27-2017, 12:33 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I owned a GT4 and a 991.1 GT3 simultaneously. I traded the GT4 late last year toward an allocation for a .2 GT3 manual. Why?

i had the GT3 before I got the GT4, and the GT4 was fun but underwhelming vs my expectations I had built up for it. I also use my cars as fun weekend toys, not track.

Put simply, the GT4 is a nicely evolved Cayman GTS manual. But the GT3 is a whole other experience than a lesser 911. Yes, the engine is bonkers, but so it the transmission, steering, grip, and looks vs other 911s. The GT4 was great, but it didn't feel as special as the GT3 whenever I got into it and drove it.

yes, GT4 is underpowered.

I didn't even think the GT4 had better handling or balance than the GT3. One nice summer day in the Hocking Hills with both cars on hand I drove the same lovely twisty 20 mile route one after the other. No contest. GT3 all day.

PDK-S is great but I miss the manual. .2 GT3 with manual seems like best of both worlds.

Do it. Keep both of you can afford though.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:41 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

OP, you and I are similar. I don't track my car (at least not yet), so it is purely a backroad weekend warrior for me. I do not think the car is underpowered for my use, but might feel differently if I tracked. The GT4 is probably one of the best if not the best car I've owned but I am not a high roller like some on RL.

I have test driven the GT3 but went with the GT4 because of the MT. The only thing I could see myself replacing it with would be a 991.2 GT3 with MT. I doubt I will ever reach the limits of my car and certainly wouldn't with the GT3 but IMO the GT3 is the pinnacle Porsche (at least what I could afford).

So, I've been on a list for a year. If I get the call I will probably make the switch, but if I don't I am perfectly happy with the GT4. I won't sell my soul and pay "market" however. Good luck with your decision, you win either way.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:34 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I daily my gt4. Any comments on 'dailyability' of the 3 to the 4 from those who have owned both? Better? Worse? Same?
Old 03-27-2017, 07:45 AM
Gtsilvergt4
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyGT4
OP, you and I are similar. I don't track my car (at least not yet), so it is purely a backroad weekend warrior for me. I do not think the car is underpowered for my use, but might feel differently if I tracked. The GT4 is probably one of the best if not the best car I've owned but I am not a high roller like some on RL.

I have test driven the GT3 but went with the GT4 because of the MT. The only thing I could see myself replacing it with would be a 991.2 GT3 with MT. I doubt I will ever reach the limits of my car and certainly wouldn't with the GT3 but IMO the GT3 is the pinnacle Porsche (at least what I could afford).

So, I've been on a list for a year. If I get the call I will probably make the switch, but if I don't I am perfectly happy with the GT4. I won't sell my soul and pay "market" however. Good luck with your decision, you win either way.
Thanks for yours and others thoughts!
A manual is essential for my driving pleasure otherwise other cars would be in the running such a Mcclaren 570S.
For pleasure drivers like me, a car that's hard to screw up in is important. In this regard, I would think with its mid engine the GT4 might be more stable. Please correct me if I am wrong.
That said, probably the only thing that kept me from buying a GT3 was the lack of a manual option. I was very underwhelmed when I test drove 911 PDK's. The fun without a manual was lacking and I was lucky to stumble on my GT4 allocation.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:01 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree GT4 is very well balanced and hard to screw up, but modern GT3 is also hard to get out of sorts especially on back roads where you won't be hitting limits.

PDKS is very different compared to standard DCT in regular lineup. Much more engaging, but not quite the same for those requiring a clutch pedal.

I think there is a decent chance they make a NA manual version 992 GT3 , so hopefully getting a car at some point won't be stupid hard if that's what you want.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:07 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 991 GT3.1 and loved it. The PDK other than on the track is silly. I now have a GT4 but I'm also waiting for the GT3.2 with manual in probably a year. While I track my cars 5-6 times a year I'm no track rat. I really enjoy everyday the manual GT4. But like someone said here it's gutless when compared to the GT3. That's why I'm going back to the GT3 but only manual.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:19 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
I daily my gt4. Any comments on 'dailyability' of the 3 to the 4 from those who have owned both? Better? Worse? Same?
Much better in the GT3 for me. But mostly because of the PDK.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:32 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
When i hasn't both I considered the GT4 to be the more daily-able of the two, because it was, by a lot, the more docile car of the two. Put simply, it drives much more like a normal Cayman when driven gently than the GT3 like a normal 911.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:16 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
I owned a GT4 and a 991.1 GT3 simultaneously. I traded the GT4 late last year toward an allocation for a .2 GT3 manual. Why?

i had the GT3 before I got the GT4, and the GT4 was fun but underwhelming vs my expectations I had built up for it. I also use my cars as fun weekend toys, not track.

Put simply, the GT4 is a nicely evolved CaymGTS manual. But the GT3 is a whole other experience than a lesser 911. Yes, the engine is bonkers, but so it the transmission, steering, grip, and looks vs other 911s. The GT4 was great, but it didn't feel as special as the GT3 whenever I got into it and drove it.

yes, GT4 is underpowered.

I didn't even think the GT4 had better handling or balance than the GT3. One nice summer day in the Hocking Hills with both cars on hand I drove the same lovely twisty 20 mile route one after the other. No contest. GT3 all day.

PDK-S is great but I miss the manual. .2 GT3 with manual seems like best of both worlds.

Do it. Keep both of you can afford though.

I currently own both and pretty much agree with the above--

GT4 is an excellent car, but GT3 is fantastic--chassis, engine, noise, looks , suspension RWS, etc are on notch above

RS even more so with added front grip and more oomph down low

of course the correct answer is BOTH, but with the new 991.2 in manual transmission I think it is a great mix of both
Old 03-27-2017, 10:25 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Let's be real for a sec.

I highly doubt that anyone who actually has access to new GT3, meaning a confirmed allocation, won't get one. In fact, I don't think a single person will actually pass on it, whether that means keeping the gt4 also, selling the gt4 to buy it, or selling their first born child. Gonna be Lots of kids names rumplestiltskin running around in 2018.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:51 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ahemmm - I'm passing for a 991.2 GT3 RS There won't be any allocation problems if you are a repeat buyer and have already paid a deposit (as I have).

In the real world the GT4 is just as quick as a GT3 and is more liveable - unless you are a superstar driver and to be frank, there are no superstar drivers on here we're largely just older guys that like our cars.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:17 AM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtsilvergt4
For pleasure drivers like me, a car that's hard to screw up in is important. In this regard, I would think with its mid engine the GT4 might be more stable. Please correct me if I am wrong.
With the modern PSM nannies, stability is no longer an issue with any Porsche in normal or spirited street driving. They won't let you "screw-up" unless you do something extremely boneheaded, in which case it wouldn't matter what car you were in.

That said, if you take the nannies out of the equation, the difference between the Cayman and the 911 boils down to weight distribution. The mid-engine car has a lower polar moment of inertia. Google that if you don't know what it means. It allows the Cayman to change direction a little faster and more effortlessly in transitions. However it also results in more rapid 'break away' and loss of control when the limits of grip are reached. It may allow a slightly higher maximum "steady-state" cornering speed, but the rear-engine in the 911 allows for greater grip on corner exit. It's all a trade-off, and Porsche has spent many decades on the 911 design to mitigate the shortcomings of the rear-engine weight distribution.

I think you would find it just as difficult to "screw-up" in a modern 911, and I guarantee you that the GT3 will be far more exciting to drive than a GT4 due to the engine alone.

That's my $0.02,
TT
Old 03-27-2017, 11:31 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
ahemmm - I'm passing for a 991.2 GT3 RS There won't be any allocation problems if you are a repeat buyer and have already paid a deposit (as I have).

In the real world the GT4 is just as quick as a GT3 and is more liveable - unless you are a superstar driver and to be frank, there are no superstar drivers on here we're largely just older guys that like our cars.
To echo those thoughts a bit, on track on a long straight the cars were close to dead even. The performance delta in the hands of regular joes is minimal on track. The better the driver, the bigger the delta.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:41 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Let's be real for a sec.

I highly doubt that anyone who actually has access to new GT3, meaning a confirmed allocation, won't get one. In fact, I don't think a single person will actually pass on it, whether that means keeping the gt4 also, selling the gt4 to buy it, or selling their first born child. Gonna be Lots of kids names rumplestiltskin running around in 2018.
OKAY - LETS SUM IT UP - I do not deny the above statement. If you have a slot( and at MSRP) and you love a "manual" there is no doubt one would be nuts to pass up on a .2 GT3 with a manual. Will I ever be able to get more out of the .2GT3 on the street than my GT4 - Absolutely not. But 500 HP, NA, Manual is all that a Purist can dream of. If I could keep both I would. But have no room for two plus, no time to enjoy both. But - make no bones about it- if I could not get a .2GT3 and I had a GT4 I would not be losing sleep over it. I would probably just be telling myself that I just saved about $75,000. But -knowing I can get one, I can not pass on her.

Quick Reply: Should I upgrade my GT4 to the new manual GT3??