Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bucket seat vs low weight bucket seats please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:08 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
FWIW - I'm not sure Porsche calls the US full buckets "light weight". I'm fairly sure they are marginally heavier than the mechanical 2-way option in a GT4 but probably lighter than an 18-way with all it's 18-way gears.
I don't remember the exact numbers but someone had them in the past and I think you saved about 13 lbs per seat with the LWB compared to the base 4 way seats and another 9-10 lbs beyond the original 10lbs vs the 18 ways which have more gears and weight than the base 4 way seats.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:52 PM
Marcus S.
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 80s
Alright so why go for lwbs? How much lighter are they?
And the angle for the back in the lwbs is it good?
Any help i can get would be great, thanks!

I have had both seats, I choose the lwbs over the standard bucket that I have in my 991 GT3.

You have a little bit more support on the sides but it's also more easy to find a good driving position because you can higher or lower the seat. I can sit much lower in the lwbs.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:31 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Are both bucket seats available in the US this time around?
Old 03-26-2017, 05:40 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcus S.
I have had both seats, I choose the lwbs over the standard bucket that I have in my 991 GT3.

You have a little bit more support on the sides but it's also more easy to find a good driving position because you can higher or lower the seat. I can sit much lower in the lwbs.
This settles it. I dont like sitting high!
Thanks Marcus!
Old 03-26-2017, 08:40 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
Are both bucket seats available in the US this time around?
Don't think so
Old 03-26-2017, 09:30 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

FWIW: I have a GT4 with the Full Bucket Seats, AKA Lightweight Bucket Seats (LWBs). These are the fixed backrest seats, but slightly height adjustable electrically, with manual fore and aft adjustment.

I am 6'1" and 200 lbs (OK, a little more than that today after going to brunch), and I have no back or mobility problems at 60 years old. Once in a while, I'll hurt my lower back if I lounge in bed too long (need a new mattress?), but otherwise I have no back problems.

I find these seats very comfortable. When I first got the car a year ago, I thought I would have to add some bolster underneath the lower back / lumbar area, but I have not done so and now do not think I will need to. After a trip from NJ to Amelia Island, FL, I can report that these seats were supremely comfortable. In fact, in order to beat the forecast blizzard home, I drove 13 hours (short rest breaks / gas were the only stops), and I felt great when arriving at my destination. I had no leg tiredness, or butt tiredness. Note: On the first leg on the way down there, I forgot to remove my wallet, and my accelerator foot was going to sleep. (Please believe me when I say, unlike many of you, my wallet is not fat - no wad of cash!) But, after removing my wallet, there were no further issues.

Regarding ingress / egress: if I can have the driver's door fully open, and with the seat extended fully rearward, I can enter and exit the car in a few seconds, but I do have to contort somewhat to do it. (I'm glad I never have to wear a skirt.) In the garage, where I cannot open the door fully, and it's only open to the first detent, I have to contort more, but I still can get in and out OK without scuffing anything, either bolsters or paint. (I admit I need to clean the garage.) Once, I did tweak my lower back when exiting in a real hurry, but it wasn't serious.

I really love the LWBs!! I hope this helps some of you.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 PM
LeeGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm athletic 6 ft 205 lbs. was worried about lwb but love them
Old 03-26-2017, 10:42 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I had full buckets (what some call LWBs) in my GT4. They look better than the standard seats (to me and I think to most). They were far more comfortable than I was expecting but they are not as comfortable as the standard sport seats. And they are a pain to get in and out of, though you get the hang of it after some practice (passengers never fail to comment about this). The standard sport seats also provide more lumbar back support, though a pad can be added to the buckets. So I'm torn this time around. Every time I spec a GT3, the total cost is higher. I may end up skipping the full buckets. They look very cool but, functionally speaking, they are really only beneficial for tracking. You'd have to be an extremely aggressive mountains/canyon driver to need more than the standard sport seats.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:47 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

I believe the OEM LWB in the 991.1 GT3 are around 18 pounds per seat.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:27 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I'm sure someone has weighed them but I seriously doubt they are that light.
Recaros with aluminum mounts aren't that light. Maybe the 997.1 cgt seats were close to that.

Me, I will order them but I don't like them. High chance input then on the shelf and swap in a race seat.

I'm not small but not huge. I find the seats not supportive enough in the thighs and sides. And the angle isn't great and interferes with hans.

But that's me.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:24 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
I had full buckets (what some call LWBs) in my GT4. They look better than the standard seats (to me and I think to most). They were far more comfortable than I was expecting but they are not as comfortable as the standard sport seats. And they are a pain to get in and out of, though you get the hang of it after some practice (passengers never fail to comment about this). The standard sport seats also provide more lumbar back support, though a pad can be added to the buckets. So I'm torn this time around. Every time I spec a GT3, the total cost is higher. I may end up skipping the full buckets. They look very cool but, functionally speaking, they are really only beneficial for tracking. You'd have to be an extremely aggressive mountains/canyon driver to need more than the standard sport seats.
While this "sofa vs LWB" subject is like a running joke on Rennlist at this point, there is one point which seems to get lost or buried. Outside of the comfort Or looks, the LWB make you feel more connected to the car while you're driving. They actually improve sport driving pleasure, which is something I appreciate every time I get in, and transcends comfort or looks.

This is why they are worth it, for the improved experience.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:31 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, I sat in both the folding buckets seats (FBS) and the full light weight bucket seats (FLWBS) yesterday. Both can be had in combo with clubsport pack, so both are ok with 6pt harnass and cage.

Yes the FLWBS can go up and down, but in NO way are the FBS too high for track driving. Furthermore, I have a feeling there is more room between your head and the headrest with the FBS, so they will be more suitable to drive with helmet and hans. I feel the FLWBS are more loose fitting in the leg and hip department and then pinch your shoulders more, combined with the lesser rake it gave me a slight hunchback of the notre dame feeling. Whereas the FBS really grip your legs and hips, yet allow some more room in the shoulder area which for me seemed to net a tighter yet more comfortable seat.
When I weigh all the pros and cons the FBS are the right seat for me.

Analogy, FLWBS, me in a plastic tube, FBS me in a plastic tube shrunkwrapped around me

To me irrelevant, but still noteworthy, the FLWBS are "very difficult" to climb in and out of, the FBS less so, the are just "difficult" to climb in and out of.

For reference, I'm about 6ft and 175lbs.

YMMV
Old 03-27-2017, 07:43 AM
OG911
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guys. I have been following all your posts about the seats but haven't reached a conclusion yet

which seat do you think is more suitable for daily driving with keeping the GT3 experience?

Folding bucket seats or full fixed bucket seats ?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:36 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

If you put it that way OG911, folding buckets by a mile !
Easier to get in and out of, more comfy when you're in them and plenty of support for those inspired drives in the twisties (and even on track). Compatible with cage and 6-pt harnass. They have a side impact airbag and you can even get them heated I you fancy that.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
While this "sofa vs LWB" subject is like a running joke on Rennlist at this point, there is one point which seems to get lost or buried. Outside of the comfort Or looks, the LWB make you feel more connected to the car while you're driving. They actually improve sport driving pleasure, which is something I appreciate every time I get in, and transcends comfort or looks.

This is why they are worth it, for the improved experience.
Excellent point. They enhance the driving experience. 👍

Quick Reply: Bucket seat vs low weight bucket seats please help!