991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 03:35 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

I had a V70 order status for both my 2016 GT3 (when they were thinking of doing the extra production run) and for the RS. Pretty standard as Joe says for dealers to shown"committed" orders to get their allocations.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:31 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,789 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yup. Had a good face to face chat at my dealer yesterday. Basically said no allocations are out yet, so nobody has any clue what they're getting, most dealers are putting in dummy orders for a bunch of cars just to show the demand, etc. He also was not near as optimistic about the timing of actual allocations being released than what has been discussed on this board. Finally, he said they were burned by a number of flippers on the RS and R (including a name well known to RL), who they sold to at MSRP, who swore they wouldn't resell, and then immediately flipped the car. And those folks are not likely to get a car this time around.
I really do hope the good guy dealers shut out the previous flippers. The GM of Porsche of San Diego told me they had an individual like that and that he won't be getting any GT cars any time soon. I actually like that policy a lot. He told me that if they sell me a car and I don't give them a shot to buy it back or if I try to flip it, I'll be in the same boat. I told him I'm a driver, not a flipper.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:27 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Like we always said. There are good dealers and bad dealers.
Some dealers even negotiate with their buyers like Ferrari dealers do.
You spec and order at msrp. Take delivery and drive for a few months and we sell it for you and split the profit over msrp.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:31 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I really do hope the good guy dealers shut out the previous flippers. The GM of Porsche of San Diego told me they had an individual like that and that he won't be getting any GT cars any time soon. I actually like that policy a lot. He told me that if they sell me a car and I don't give them a shot to buy it back or if I try to flip it, I'll be in the same boat. I told him I'm a driver, not a flipper.
Have you bought other Porsche's from Porsche of San Diego? Or were calling around for an allocation?
Old 03-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
This is the way all dealers should do it. If everybody did this and double checked the names so no duplicates PCNA would have a very good estimate on how many cars Stuttgart needs to send this side of the pond.

Need more CJ Wilson dealerships.
I suspect Porsche has a good idea how many cars they will need to produce to meet demand less one.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Well the only real way to be sure of avoiding the flip is for the dealership to price it at market to begin with, in order to take away the flip opportunity for the buyer. The two cases my SA told me about were ridiculously egregious. In the interest of confidence, I can't say more, but I wish I could.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:03 PM
MS7044
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

The only time I have ever a V070 order my dealer was trying to get me an R. They said it's 99% it won't happen but if you want to try come in and spec one, we will lobby for you but don't count on it. Didn't happen. This time they said once they have an allocation they will have me spec one with standard colors and one PTS hoping for a PTS slot. No deposit, no list. They got me .1 GT3, RS and GT4 at msrp. But I buy a lot of non GT cars from them so in a way I've paid.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:05 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick
Have you bought other Porsche's from Porsche of San Diego? Or were calling around for an allocation?
I moved down to San Diego recently and was referred to the dealer by an RL member who bought several cars there. I've been servicing my RSs over there and will service the GT4 over there then it's time. I'm working with Keith who introduced me to Glenn.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:28 PM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to San Diego. Glenn is awesome to work with.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:32 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WildBill
Welcome to San Diego. Glenn is awesome to work with.
Thanks, came down from the OC so not a long move. Yeah, really great folks at SD...talked to Glenn for 20-30 minutes about non car stuff both times I dropped off my RS cars for service. He loved the Vesuvio Metallic on my 997RS. I love how he said that he sells for MSRP to locals and asks that if you sell a car that you give him first dibs and if you flip you are out of getting any future GT cars. I told him he'll have all my future service business and I drive/track my cars a lot so I need service on a regular basis.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:40 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Reading all this stuff about dealers wanted first dibs at a buy back makes me wonder. How are they wording that buy back? Is it a match to what you can get on the open market after some time, lets say after a couple of years, or is the buy back value determined by them? I can see that really hurting the owner financially on some cars. My only experience here is receiving an email after 6 month asking me about my car and my status.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:19 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

I just placed my order and I am #2 so should get an allocation this first round. No deposit and sold at MSRP so I am very excited to start this relationship. I am hoping this will also land me a GT2RS allocation in 2018.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:33 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Reading all this stuff about dealers wanted first dibs at a buy back makes me wonder. How are they wording that buy back? Is it a match to what you can get on the open market after some time, lets say after a couple of years, or is the buy back value determined by them? I can see that really hurting the owner financially on some cars. My only experience here is receiving an email after 6 month asking me about my car and my status.
I've never signed one for Porsches but for other makes it has always been structured as a right of first refusal for the dealer at MSRP and a last right of refusal at any price less than MSRP. 6 to 12 months has been typical
Old 03-12-2017, 12:17 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

I moved down to San Diego recently and was referred to the dealer by an RL member who bought several cars there. I've been servicing my RSs over there and will service the GT4 over there then it's time. I'm working with Keith who introduced me to Glenn.
Glenn, is the sales manager and the decision maker. Your dealing with the right person. He is a no bull**** straight shooter.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:28 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
If you ever dealt with the Ferrari program you would know it's a mutually beneficial relationship. No doubt if you sold your car privately you will get more money. The dealer will give you a fair market price without the aggravation of trying to sell it on your own. The give back is when new hot models are introduced your at the top of the list.

When I was buying Ferrari's, they would call me and ask if I was interested in the new model. If I said yes, they would later call me and tell me to spec it. No deposit, no waiting, no begging to be put on the list. Often I spec the car over the phone. They knew I would turn it in after 12-18 months because I wanted something new.

Porsche with their GT cars is now operating the same way. :thumbup

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread