991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what does this mean for 991.1 RS??

Old 03-08-2017, 11:27 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

Same as above. Now that I have 991 RS I have no interest in GT3 besides a ride in one!! Sounds like an awesome car though!! Lots of improvements over 3.8 in 991.1 GT3.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:36 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
nice and clean spec! My tentative build is $170 adding the front axle lift and some leather/CF/dial color crap on the inside. Probably not necessary.

RS is still an RS though and I wouldn't mind having one if one popped up for reasonable money. Most likely though, I'll be getting the .2 GT3 and not looking back.
Thanks. Other than the front axle lift (if you need it, then there's no choice), all the leather, CF etc, is just burning money. I know you are going to track this car, so save the money for tires, and brakes.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:45 AM
copmagnet
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Same as above. Now that I have 991 RS I have no interest in GT3 besides a ride in one!! Sounds like an awesome car though!! Lots of improvements over 3.8 in 991.1 GT3.
^^^ Same. RS ruined me.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:11 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Nothing last RS below off the line. Paint is unique to the 918 for 65k. Boys these cars are hobbies, and intended for fun. All cars are sold, and a hand full of resales left over.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:26 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

One plus for the UV RS owners is "their" color is not on any of the Porsche (incl. .2GT3) standard/up charge color lists. Not sure if avail w/ PTS?
Old 03-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

When I first read AP's interview on 991.2 Gt3, I was ready to trade in my UV RS sight unseen. He's Porsche's best salesman by far. After a little time passed and I checked in with my crack dealer (PNH) to talk about 1.2gt3, I realized it's going to be a hard decision to ACTUALLY let go of a purple wide-*** giant wing wheel-cutout wheel-flared cartoon of a monster car that I spec'd myself in exchange for the new Gt3 that is probably better on paper for less the price.

It all comes down to emotion for me. Why do I have a green 997.1rs for 3x the price of a 997.1gt3?; those cars drive nearly IDENTICAL with exception of LWFW which can easily be swapped; cause my wide body, winged frog with decals gives me bigger goose bumps than my old white 7.1gt3. It's goosebump/adrenaline test for me; not a ******* contest. Logic should tell me to sell the frog and buy a plain Jane 7.1 back. But I ain't gonna. I don't own a 7-4.0 to tell people about it; I do because it makes me giggle like a 10yr old boy when it pulls like a tractor and produces one of most angry exhaust notes I've heard in any car (ok, maybe not cgt).

I have plenty of manual alternatives to choose from. So tranny is not a big driver for me. 991 RS or .2 Gt3 would be my only dct in the line-up.

I don't think I have enough time to drive two modern cars and give my older stuff any love at all. So I'm not sure owning both makes sense. We'll see. I have time to chew on it. But I've come off my initial knee-jerk reaction of "I HAVE TO TRADE BARNEY TO GET THIS THING NOW!"
Old 03-08-2017, 03:03 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
One plus for the UV RS owners is "their" color is not on any of the Porsche (incl. .2GT3) standard/up charge color lists. Not sure if avail w/ PTS?
Almost any prior Porsche color should be avail as PTS including UV, no? I've swear I've seen it on a gt4 and an SUV (cayenne or macan). But no, it's not an available color like lava/silver/white.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
According to those with RS, and R envy, now that the 991.2 GT3 is out, the RS will soon be below MSRP, and the R will be lucky to sell at MSRP.

As for the 991.2 GT3, you will get one. Porsche will keep making them to fill all orders. Just pick a color (standard color, or a metallic color), add the full bucket seats, and you are done at $150K. Great lightweight car, and you will thank me when it is time to sell. Here is what I will most likely order when I receive an allocation.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJD28YM6
You are pretty sure about that. I guess I should bail now!

Expect RS prices to rise as .2 mark ups hit. Also .1 GT3 prices will hold strong.

RS is RS and will always be RS.

Give me one of these babies any day of the week over a .2 GT3. See pic below. No contest IMHO. I mean, really just look at that thing!!!!

The .2GT3 is very nice but honestly I don't see much of an aesthetic difference to the .1GT3 except for the nose. My eyes work fine too. This is reminding me of the "Emperor has no clothes" fairly tale.

Name:  GT3RS satin finish.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  136.0 KB

For anyone who believes that lightened internals, closer tolerances and solid lifters will not need maintenance or subject to wear I'll take that bet please pm me. No engine is immune from issues and wear.

Two weeks ago was at my race shop and a beautiful 997.1 RS pumpkin was on the lift sans engine. It blew on the way to a C&C. Yup. Big fight with warranty company going on.

RS 4.0L is a great motor. No issues that we have seen with the RS and R 4.0L. Its clear to me that PAG realized that a 9000 rpm redline with a hydraulic valve train on the smaller 3.8 was a little over zealous and created issues with some motors. Explains the reduction to the 8800 limit in first and 8600 limit beyond first gear for the RS and R 4.0 with revised pressures and squirters. Less rpms, less pressure and less heat, lower revs, less stress.

9000 rpm is really not necessary as most power is also attained prior to that limit.

All the 991 DFI engines are hydraulic and have been solid lumps. Mezgers were hydrauic too I think. So are F430's, R8, R8 V10's, GT350, Boss 302. All worthy track machines. All hydraulic.

Lighter mechanical parts true increase quickness due to less mass but lighter parts and closer tolerances also add up to increased maintenance. Even the Mezgers had issues.

I'm sure the new 4.0 is a good motor but lets not throw the old 4.0 in the dumpster.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:51 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Nothing last RS below off the line. Paint is unique to the 918 for 65k. Boys these cars are hobbies, and intended for fun. All cars are sold, and a hand full of resales left over.
Any chance you have the VIN for this car? Looks like a US delivery based on the reflectors.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:35 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

-$25k min immediately for the 991 GT3 & GT3 RS, maybe more, simply from the flow of p/x, better car , no limited prodiction
Old 03-08-2017, 05:38 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Richard.
-$25k min immediately for the 991 GT3 & GT3 RS, maybe more, simply from the flow of p/x, better car , no limited prodiction
If that turns out to be true, which it won't I would gobble up the RS before even thinking of a .2GT3.

You also overlooked a minor issue. .2GT3 mark ups.

Last edited by Waxer; 03-08-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:07 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 335 Posts

I guess my question to the peanut gallery is this: if you currently own a .1 GT3/RS, is your enjoyment directly correlated to fluctuations in pricing? In a world where most mid-high end sports cars depreciate at precipitous levels relative to even the newly "devalued" .1 cars, it really shouldn't make much difference. Not sure about the rest of you, but when I bought my car, I made a conservative assumption of residual value and depreciation when I purchased it (significantly below MSRP) and when it comes time to sell, anything on the positive side of that projection is an even greater win beyond getting drive this car. Where my car falls on that scale during my time of ownership, I don't care. This is a car, not an investment. I bought it to drive and enjoy. The amount of fixation on values on the 991 GT boards is getting downright annoying. Maybe you guys need to stop worring about values and flipping and need to start driving your cars to remember why you did so in the first place.

The owner of a now worthless 991 GT3 RS...with 10K miles and permagrin.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:15 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

ChrisF: Yes, true and good observations.

Just usual meaningless RL banter here.

You have 10K miles on that old apple cart already with track miles too? Surprised it made it that far!
Old 03-08-2017, 06:26 PM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
When I first read AP's interview on 991.2 Gt3, I was ready to trade in my UV RS sight unseen. He's Porsche's best salesman by far. After a little time passed and I checked in with my crack dealer (PNH) to talk about 1.2gt3, I realized it's going to be a hard decision to ACTUALLY let go of a purple wide-*** giant wing wheel-cutout wheel-flared cartoon of a monster car that I spec'd myself in exchange for the new Gt3 that is probably better on paper for less the price.

It all comes down to emotion for me. Why do I have a green 997.1rs for 3x the price of a 997.1gt3?; those cars drive nearly IDENTICAL with exception of LWFW which can easily be swapped; cause my wide body, winged frog with decals gives me bigger goose bumps than my old white 7.1gt3. It's goosebump/adrenaline test for me; not a ******* contest. Logic should tell me to sell the frog and buy a plain Jane 7.1 back. But I ain't gonna. I don't own a 7-4.0 to tell people about it; I do because it makes me giggle like a 10yr old boy when it pulls like a tractor and produces one of most angry exhaust notes I've heard in any car (ok, maybe not cgt).

I have plenty of manual alternatives to choose from. So tranny is not a big driver for me. 991 RS or .2 Gt3 would be my only dct in the line-up.

I don't think I have enough time to drive two modern cars and give my older stuff any love at all. So I'm not sure owning both makes sense. We'll see. I have time to chew on it. But I've come off my initial knee-jerk reaction of "I HAVE TO TRADE BARNEY TO GET THIS THING NOW!"
Don't do it!!!
Old 03-08-2017, 06:52 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

I'm trying to understand why the RS is suddenly now a horrible inferior automobile in everyone's mind which should be traded in immediately for a GT3? I'll keep my RS thank you! My newly confirmed GT3.2 will compliment it wonderfully. My prior 991.1 GT3 was more comfortable for everyday driving then my 991 4S. As a result, my new GT3.2 will be built specifically for street driving - MT, PCCBs, comfy base seat non-buckets, and simply more creature comforts to allow pleasant drives with the wifey. She hates my RS-- too rough, loud, uncomfortable. The RS will be saved for my awful and rather turtle paced attempts at track driving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So what does this mean for 991.1 RS??