Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS Wrecked while at Speed Shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 10:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I could see if this was some valet at a nightclub. This was a performance shop's owner who you have trust in that they're going to take care of your car while working on it in their care.

Anyway, wishing Ccapx the best resolution. I'll be checking back for updates and will ignore the clueless as to not get off topic here.

Name:  photo742.jpg
Views: 5923
Size:  155.6 KB

Last edited by STG; 03-04-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:30 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
I get all the points but at the end it is just a stupid car. What matters is that no one was hurt by that reckless take-off or I should say skillless.
At the end insurance will cover the loss and I hope that the owner will be statisfied with the outcome.
And now go and think how many times you have done something not really smart that with a bit of bad luck could have changed into a nightmare.
I do speeding, reckless driving and other stupid things. All in my perception at acceptable risk. But I also know how much little it is required to screw yourself big time. You have never done it? Sure!
So guys don't play such virgins cause it's very easy to judge others.
You're not serious? So if you were the OP, what would you do, just shrug it off?
Old 03-04-2017, 11:46 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If I was the guy who did this, I would have been on my knees apologizing to you, and then writing you a check for your car. If necessary, I'd be mortgaging my business and house, so I could write you a check for your car. Everybody makes mistakes. But good people own those mistakes and do everything in their power to make things right.
Precisely Archimedes. Anything short of this by the shop owner is disgraceful and inexcusable.

We make dumb mistakes... but how we address our mistakes can often go a long way.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:51 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

No one in this thread has never driven like a dumbass at least once in their lives.

In my case - it's been several times. I'm the last to judge on that account.

That said - I'd never DREAM of doing this with someone else's property, especially in a professional capacity. For that, I feel quite justified in judging harshly and with extreme prejudice.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:07 AM
MS7044
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

If there is gross negligence/willful misconduct involved on the part of the shop, and it seems there is on two levels - first the actions of shop management tendering the car to an unqualified or irresponsible driver and second the actions of the driver, it's likely the shop's insurance, who surely will investigate, will deny coverage based on the policy's likely present exclusion for exactly this kind of case. One can't insure against willful misconduct or against violations of public policy (usually).

Just my two cents for the very classy owner who has proceeded thus far with far more dignity and respect than many others would in this situation. I would be thinking about delivering a demand letter this week with a demand for full settlement (a new car similarly spec'd with similar mileage or cash in the same amount) in return for you signing title to the damaged vehicle over to the shop. Otherwise you are likely claiming on your own policy and your insurer will then go fight it out with the shop owner who likely may just file bankruptcy (not really your concern but your insurer won't be happy).

You can discuss with a local attorney how to leverage police involvement without over stepping into facing a blackmail claim. Clearly it's your right to involve the police but in this day and age you need to proceed carefully in how you use this leverage against the other party.

Best of luck.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:32 AM
Unobtainium RS
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me, or does it look like he just crawled out from under a vehicle prior to the joy ride? Take a look at how dirty the red stripe is at the bottom of his shirt compared to the top....

Top notch attitude/composure Ccapx!
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2017, 10:10 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Jalopnik!!!
http://jalopnik.com/shop-owner-smashes-the-front-of-a-porsche-911-gt3-rs-in-1792973207
Old 03-05-2017, 10:11 AM
chio4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://jalopnik.com/shop-owner-smash...ium=socialflow
Old 03-05-2017, 10:18 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Financial damage to the shop now is way more than one RS.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:29 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
So crazy. I just hope that as the evidence piles up, Ccapx's chances for satisfactory compensation goes up.

The way this is unfolding, it wouldn't surprise me if this was picked up by Jalopnik at some point.

Called it!

And there it is. BHR is in a world of hurt now.

What a crazy thread.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Schmed
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 57 Posts

That said - I'd never DREAM of doing this with someone else's property, especially in a professional capacity.
Yes! It's very disrespectful to treat someone's property this way. Especially given the value of the car and how us enthusiasts care about our cars. Not just bad judgement, but also lack of respect for a customer.

And this is why many of us choose to work on our own cars when we can.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:39 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

They can attempt to survive this by being stand up and going beyond all reasonable measures to make it right, and issue a statement that it will never happen again, create written agreements that a car will not be road tested.

I have video of a Porsche tech driving my 997 4.0 at over 100mph....
Nothing happened. The engine was warm and he didn't drive it any different then I do, so I let it go..
Old 03-05-2017, 10:42 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
^^^^ You're missing the point here. Surprise, surprise.

Taking risks with your OWN toys or property is one thing and you have to take responsibility if anything goes south.

Acting like an as*hole with someone else's property takes it to another level. Go troll elsewhere.

A stupid car until it's your own
Well said. I have followed this thread with admiration for the way the OP is dealing with this immensely stressful situation and disgust for the owner of the shop. Yes we may have all crossed the line at some point, and the point at which is becomes foolhardy is subjective but for the owner of the shop to treat a customers vehicle this way should demand prison time IMO.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:43 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

This is something a child would do. Unbelievable amount of liberty to take with someone else's $250k car.

I'm usually a "two sides to every story" kind of guy, but there really is no rationalization for turning off TC and flooring it in traffic. So stupid.

And I'm glad the idiot's teenage son wasn't driving. What a nightmare claim that would be.
Exactly why I suspected a teenager was driving. It is difficult to understand how the business owner would abuse a customer's car.

Originally Posted by consolidated
Financial damage to the shop now is way more than one RS.
The one-star reviews are already hitting their Facebook page.

Anyone looking to buy a shop at a deep discount? It is obviously a very tight-knit community, so word of this will spread like wildfire. The owner will be lucky to get a job at Jiffy Lube after this incident.

Edit: Posting Facebook link does not seem to work.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:14 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Son of a bitches!!!

This is why when I have performance mod work done on my car I take it to a national shop. In my case mine goes to Champion Motorsports jnbut I'll Beach Florida even though I live in New York. GMG in So Cal. is another great option. Believe me it's worth shipping your car to have the best work on it. Your car was clearly a novelty to this local shop and they decided to have a joyride and maybe do donuts in it.

A national shop that does nothing but top-flight Porsche mods wouldn't view your car is some sort of a novelty to be joy ridden.

I am sick for you my friend.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS Wrecked while at Speed Shop