Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Things Can Always Be Worse

Old 02-19-2017, 04:40 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Default OT: Things Can Always Be Worse

I got a call from my brother last week. Mom was in the hospital. She is 78 years old and had fallen. She was also suffering from confusion, and the doctors thought she may have had a stroke. I briefly spoke with her on the phone, and she was in pretty bad shape mentally. The doctor told me that her white blood cell count had "skyrocketed" so she had a bad infection.

I flew to California last Wednesday to be with her. I was feeling really down, as we talk every Saturday and have always been close. I just had this bad feeling, but I wanted to be strong for her.

I arrive in Sacramento and head to the hospital. She saw me and had a big smile, then started crying. She was semi lucid at times, but she said some things that made zero sense. I spoke with the doctor, and he said the fall may have caused some damage, although the tests didn't show anything. He also wondered if she might have had a stroke, because a test showed that her heart levels were "elevated."

The next day I go into her room and she doesn't even know me. They said that there was nothing seriously wrong with her, and that a skilled nursing facility would be her best chance of recovery. They had called around, but due to the floods and evacuations, only one facility was available. They were going to transfer her there at 1:30pm, so I planned on going to the facility around 3pm. My daughter, brother, sister-in-law and 9 year old niece were planning on coming around 5pm.

I drive into the parking lot and notice that this place looks like a jail. There's fencing all around, with a gate to enter with a big STOP sign. I walk into the first gate without issue, as there was just a **** to turn. This seemed strange that a place screaming "maximum security" would have such a simple way to get in, but then I got to the next gate. This one has a dead bolt on both sides, and I had to ring the doorbell to get buzzed in.

As I walk in the building there was a 20 foot hallway leading to another set of double doors. The walls were void of anything, and it had a Soviet / Chernobyl sort of vibe to it. I am thinking that this place needs some repairs, when I open the second door...

The hall must have been about 150 feet long, with doors/openings all along the sides. The place is crowded. The first woman I pass was frozen in her walker, just staring at a picture on the opposite wall of an Oakland A's baseball player (his jersey said Cust). Coming directly at me is a woman saying something I didn't quite make out, partially because my attention was drawn to a crowd gathering up on the left. Someone was on the ground, and 3 staff members were attending to them. I walked around them and got to the end of the hall, where I went left. Up ahead was a nursing station, with a man in front of the counter, along with two staff members.

I walk up to the counter, waiting for the female staff member to get off the phone so I could ask her some questions. At this point I am sure I am having a bit of PTSD when I notice the guy next to me is dialing imaginary numbers on the phone receiver. I hear a woman speaking behind me, so I turn to see an elderly woman in a wheelchair saying "where's my baby" over and over.

As I turn back towards the staffer, hoping to god to confirm i am at the wrong facility, she says "are you Rob?" I reluctantly say yeah, now confirming the worst. Mom was here somewhere. She reaches behind the counter and grabs my mom's purse. She tells me these aren't safe here, so I need to sign for her belongings, and then take them with me. She also informs me that there are no televisions in the patient rooms, but if i wanted to bring one in, they'd be happy to bolt it down for me.

She takes me to my mom's room. There are 3 beds in the room, along with a bathroom that is shared with the next room. No television. No phones. The room didn't resemble a hospital room. It was stripped, rundown, and void of anything, except for 3 beds. My mom is sleeping in the middle bed, and the nurse asks her "do you know who this is?" My mom looks at me and says no. The staffer tells me that she was asking about her husband, who she said was coming to visit her. I informed her that he had died a few years ago.

At this point it hits me. My family is going to be here any minute, including my daughter and 9 year old niece. I contact everyone and tell them to wait outside. My brother walks in alone and enters the room. He gives me that WTF look, and I just said I know.

I go speak to the administrator, and inform her that there has been a terrible mistake. Why was our mom sent to an insane asylum? She told me that this facility treats a broad spectrum of patients, blah blah blah. I stopped hearing her. I told her we were taking my mom out of here, but she told me that going against medical advice was not a good idea. Where would she go? She couldn't care for herself, so who was going to change her when she soiled her clothes. She told me to give it a few days, as they help a lot of people.

We all leave the facility and go to a restaurant to have a liquid dinner. We replay the crazy **** we saw, and tried to put a strategy together. How are we going to get mom out of here, and where is she going? And what if she never gains her mental capacity again? A lot of really difficult decisions are going to need to be made, and quickly. The other complication is that I cannot stay here forever. So we need to figure this out quickly. I told my brother that one of us needs to visit her every day, because if she ever does regain her senses, she is going to be pissed that she is in this place.

One glimmer of hope. My sister-in-law knows somebody in the elderly placement industry, and we can meet the next morning. The next morning we meet with Rebecca and discuss a bunch of options, and decide to go visit the facility and assess the situation. We arrive and go to her room. I am unable to wake her. I now fear that she is getting worse, and there may be a serious medical condition. We go back to the nurse's station and ask to speak with someone about her condition. Ultimately we end up in an office where we are assured that everything is being done to help her, and to give it a few days.

We head back to her room, so we can show the staff her condition. The three of us walk into the room and I touch my mom's shoulder. She sits up and says "EVERYONE OUT" except me. The administrator and Rebecca leave, and my mom looks at me and asks how could I put her in a place like this, and to get her the hell out. I explained what had happened, and that I was trying to get her out, but she hadn't exactly helped her cause by telling everyone her dead husband was coming. Evidently the infection caused a lot of confusion, and once the antibiotics had some time to work she snapped out of it.

After a lot of back and forth with the staff, we agree to transfer her to another facility, but i needed to go have a look first this time. We drive over to a sister facility and the place is decent. I am not seeing anything resembling the zombie apocalypse at this place, so we decide to initiate the transfer. We head back to the facility my mom is at, to arrange for transport to the new place. When we get back it is around 4pm, and very little has happened since we left. Paperwork still needs to be signed by the doctor. It's Friday afternoon.

My mom is afraid she will be here another night, but i told her we are working on it. At this point the administrator walks in and says "good news, and not so good news" regarding the transfer. Everything is approved, but it won't happen until tomorrow morning. There is nothing they can do, but I can stay as late as i wanted to help ease her mind. I ended up staying until around 9pm, at which point she had fallen asleep, and I drove back to her apartment. I picked up a 6 pack of Guinness the night before, and had a couple to try to unwind. How does something like this happen? At this point it is 11pm so I get some rest, as I had promised my mom I would be there early.

I get to the facility around 8:30am this morning. My mom is awake and happy to see me. She didn't sleep much, as the woman next to her kept screaming. As I sit down I hear a man a room or two down the hall yelling "the baby's dead" every 15 seconds. This guy had Swiss-like precision too. This went on for a good 90 minutes. I was thinking maybe this guy should get with the woman asking "where's my baby" so one of them gets closure. Meanwhile, another guy is yelling "help me" so the two screams had an almost rhythmic quality to them. Another man walks into our room and asks "where am I?" All the while soothing music is playing over the loudspeakers.

It is 20 minutes after we were supposed to leave, so I figured I would go ask the front for a status. I don't like being "that guy," so I gave it 20 minutes. As i get to the front desk I look down and see a big blood puddle maybe 4 feet by 2 feet long, with 4 or 5 big chunks of something. Right then one of the nurses yell "where did that come from?" She repeated again "where did that come from?" I could tell in her voice that she was alarmed.

I walk back to the room, trying to erase from my mind what I had just seen, when a siren started going off. Staff were running. There was clearly a medical emergency. I slowly sat down, and my brother could see I was shaken. He asks me "what happened?" and I told him "you don't want to know." Seconds later over the PA someone says "Juan, cleanup at the front." I saw a guy grab a mop from a closet across from our room. He didn't look good when he came back.

About 15 minutes later one of the staff walks in and says "you guys are still here?" I told her we were waiting for transport, but we know there is an emergency as i just got back from the nurse's station. She looked at me and said "you didn't see the floor, did you?" Oh yeah I did. She just shook her head, with an OMG expression, and we both agreed we did not want to talk about it.

Finally the transportation guy shows up, wearing headphones listening to music. At first I thought he was kind of rude, but drowning out the environment with music was his coping strategy. I head to the nurse's station to fill out some release forms, and get medications to take to the new facility. I asked the head nurse "so how's your day?" and she started laughing. I thanked everyone there, even had a couple hugs, as these people are literally heroes to deal with an environment like this every day. I don't know how they do it, but I am very impressed with them. Incredible people. I know I would be a raging alcoholic in a week. Probably less.

I walk out the gate, being buzzed out, thinking how glad I am that my mom (and I) are out of this place. My brother and I head to the new facility, and decide to grab a quick bite to eat. I sit down at the table, unable to say much, as I was just trying to calm down a little. Then my cellphone rings. It was the main nurse at the facility i just left. Evidently, they forgot to give me my mom's antibiotics, so could i come back and pick them up? I said I'd be right there.

I arrive at the facility, get buzzed back in, the whole time thinking to myself that you have got to be kidding me. I walk down that long hall, avoiding the traffic jam that had now developed about half way, walk up to the nurse's station and asked...

Hi, do you have any vacancies?

Everyone laughed, and then i took the meds, said my final goodbye, and headed for the gates. As I am walking down that long hallway a woman crosses my path, looked me right in the eyes with this crazed wide-eyed stair. I can still see her lifeless bulging eyes. I keep walking, and they finally buzz me out. As i exited the last gate I turned back and gestured goodbye to the camera, as this is visible from the nurse's station.

I pass a family walking up to the gate. There was a man and woman in their 40's with a young girl. She was maybe 10. I looked at him and said "good luck" which made him chuckle "thanks" back at me. As I got to my rental car I questioned why I hadn't warned them? I guess I was so focused on leaving that it just hadn't dawned on me fast enough.

Here's the latest. My mom is resting at the new facility, and she probably has 2 weeks of rehab before she can go home. It took a lot of effort to work through the system, and my mom could have easily been stuck at that place. Here's a scary thought. One of the staff told me yesterday that there was a woman that just got released who was totally sane, yet it took her 1.5 years to get released from that facility. I don't know how anyone sane can come out of a place like that unscathed. I felt the impact after just 2 days, and my total exposure was maybe 7 or 8 hours.

I never knew facilities like this still existed. I guess i thought these places were more clinical. More hospital like. Not sure what I was thinking, but how many places like this exist across the country? Rebecca told me most skilled nursing facilities are about the same.

In some ways writing this post is therapeutic, so I guess that is part of sharing this. I also think there is a good chance many of you have no idea something like this can happen. I would strongly recommend that you never agree to have a loved one transferred anywhere until you can visit the location. I never connected the dots that a skilled nursing facility could essentially be synonymous with insane asylum. This wasn't that, but i can only imagine what one would be like.

I will just close by saying regardless of how bad your day may be, or how tough things are for you at the moment, trust me when I say that things can always be worse.

A lot worse.

Last edited by robmypro; 02-19-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:32 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

What a nightmare...

I find it difficult to find the words for what I'm feeling when reading this.

I'm glad it worked out well in the end and it sure brings perspective to ones life.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:56 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Very sorry to hear that. Traumatic. Thankfully she's in a more comfortable place now. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:22 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

You're a good son, Rob... 'Wishing you mother a speedy recovery to full health.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:28 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Uhh, hard to read and shocking. Thanks for sharing and all the best for your mom.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:28 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

As our aging population increases, far more needs to be done about how society deals with caring for behavioural health issues. It's an issue that we instinctively block out and sometimes prefer to remain uninformed about.

Rob, I am glad your mother is in a better place and will be home soon. Well done for doing what you did.

Thank you for your post. It's a numbing read, but I am thankful you shared it with us.

Sending you a PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:31 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Gut wrenching. You are a good son. Getting her out was the most important thing. Not many make it out of these facilities and actually get worse. How could anyone get better in such an environment.
Wishing you and your family the best and a full recovery for your mom. God bless.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:37 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Best wishes for your mom Rob.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:42 AM
VictorH
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your saga. This is really sad but not really all that uncommon. I've been following on Rennlist for literally years, but only registered after I saw your note today. This is my first post, could be I don't have PM privileges yet, but if you want to PM me we can talk by phone.
I am professor and chief of geriatrics at USC (the South Carolina one) and if you want to talk, would be happy to discuss, though it sounds like things are a bit better. I know some excellent geriatricians in Denver (though don't know if that's close to you or not). Best wishes.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:44 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

She’s lucky to have such a good family, hoping for the best.
Our Mother who’s in her 90s fell on the tarmac driveway a few years ago, but without the horror show care facility yours endured.
She mostly recovered while the brain bleed receded, and is learning she needs to slow it down.
Their house has been redone with railings everywhere.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:45 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Hope things work out. My Mother going through similar things, falling, memory failing. Fortunately for her and us (her children), she was able to go to a good facility that takes good care of her.

Tough when parents get to this stage in life. Most of us will too, so treat them the way we want to be treated.

Yes, things can ALWAYS be worse, but sometimes they do get better...
Old 02-19-2017, 09:51 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is shocking, reminds me of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. So sad that your mother had to go through this experience. I'm so happy everything has worked out in a better direction. Thank you for sharing this, it certainly can do wonders talking it out. Well done Rob and give your mom our best from all your RL buddies.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:52 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Good luck with everything, Rob. I have been through your saga, it is beyond difficult and almost overwhelmingly stressful for all involved.......i wish you and your family the best......
Old 02-19-2017, 10:13 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow cuckoo nest scene for sure , Blessings to your Mom for speedy recoup ! And home soon!!

She raised a compassionate man , Good job Rob and thanks for the enlightenment to watch out for

such a trap for those of us here that still have parents ; both of mine now in the eighties .

This thread a good example of all various sh*t we endure, over come, fix , accomplish to be able to

succeed to play with GT cars . Good job to ALL . I guess now do I have enough tread
For another go around Sebring.

Rob stay strong and keep moving down field.

Last edited by R.Deacon; 02-19-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:38 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Rob you're an excellent writer, hopefully writing that post was as cathartic for you as it was sobering for us to read. Every day is such a blessing. I'm going to go call my mother now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT: Things Can Always Be Worse