Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Post: Looking for advice on allocating a 991.2 GT3 at sticker.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 03:44 PM
JQ11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When will the 991.2 GT3s start being delivered?
Old 02-17-2017, 04:11 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Secure an allocation at some amount over MSRP. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. Probably very little chance of getting one at MSRP.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:47 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by freshness
Looking for advice on allocating a 991.2 GT3 at sticker.
Buy a Porsche dealership.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:32 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Meaning 2018 and 2019 models?
Correct.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:41 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Guys, the .2 GT3 will be produced for more than one model year. I think the chance of someone getting a car at MSRP for the 2nd year of production is pretty high!
This will for sure mean that they will produce more .2GT3s than they did .1GT3s or .1GT3RSs. They might bang out close to 10,000 units worldwide if the demand is there. If people are patient, you'll get one at MSRP. Stay away from the first allocations as those will mostly be 918 owner/dealer flips. I'll be more than happy to get a 2019 in mid to late 2018, I'm not paying over MSRP again.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:12 AM
siswati
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freshness
Sorry if i'm beating a dead horse, I am really new to the Porsche world at the moment (at least compared to most on here). I picked up a 991S two years ago and a Panamera shortly after. Needless to say I am hooked!

I come to you to today in need of help, I visited my local dealer, Auto Gallery in Los Angeles, this past weekend and the salesman was very elitist, spewing BS about how GT3's never sell at sticker, that they only import 200 to the US a year (i know i know, wow). Even if they don't sell at sticker, at least say realistic things so you can sound reputable.

Anyways, that all left a bad taste in my mouth and I don't appreciate him making me feel like I am not good enough to own one of these cars, considering I already own a loaded 991.1S and a Panamera Hybrid that all came as a huge surprise.

Could you guys please teach me the ropes? On how to get into a GT3, get an allocation however difficult that may be? Are there particular dealers here that Rennlister's tend to go to exclusively? I know it was like that on the BMW forums, but again, I am really new to this. All I know is that I want a GT3, and that i'm patient enough to wait, but not willing to deal with the price-gouging that seems so common in southern california.

Thanks for your help, and my apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. Happy to hear about your guys' experiences as well if you happened to go through something similar. I mean we've all been new to the hobby at one point right?
Freshness - not all CA dealers are stealers. Two years ago, I spent some time looking for a GT Silver 991 911 GT3 and finally tracked one down in Santa Barbara. I made contact with a salesman at Santa Barbara Mercedes / Porsche by the name of Jimmy Trieste, and concluded the deal at list price, when everyone said that there was no way to get it at sticker price. He was great to deal with, shipped the car all the way to Fort Lauderdale, and i have been a happy GT3 owner since.

So just spread your search a bit - don't just limit it to the area you live in.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Daggie
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If markup is that bad .. Why don't you find a European friend that buys one at MRSP for you and you take care of delivery yourself? I'm pretty sure you'll find interested parties if you offer a minimal markup. That way you'd have one very early that you could spec yourself.

You will have to take care of importing it and maybe some mods for the fuel difference. That'd still beat a 40k markup!

It's actually not that uncommon for American or Japanese cars to get imported to Europe, so maybe the other way around is worth investigating.

That being said .. in less then 6 months, I'm getting mine
Old 02-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

I'd try to get one from Canada before I tried to get one from Europe!
Old 02-18-2017, 12:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Daggie
If markup is that bad .. Why don't you find a European friend that buys one at MRSP for you and you take care of delivery yourself? I'm pretty sure you'll find interested parties if you offer a minimal markup. That way you'd have one very early that you could spec yourself.

You will have to take care of importing it and maybe some mods for the fuel difference. That'd still beat a 40k markup!

It's actually not that uncommon for American or Japanese cars to get imported to Europe, so maybe the other way around is worth investigating.

That being said .. in less then 6 months, I'm getting mine
You can import a Canadian vehicle and register it in the US. You can't register a new European vehicle in the US, or a new vehicle from any country for that matter
Old 02-18-2017, 01:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
This will for sure mean that they will produce more .2GT3s than they did .1GT3s or .1GT3RSs. They might bang out close to 10,000 units worldwide if the demand is there. If people are patient, you'll get one at MSRP. Stay away from the first allocations as those will mostly be 918 owner/dealer flips. I'll be more than happy to get a 2019 in mid to late 2018, I'm not paying over MSRP again.
Another possibility is that they'll raise the MSRP materially and just move up the demand curve rather than increase supply much. I'm sure they have some Finance folks studying what happened the last time around and estimating the best supply/pricing equation for Porsche. I wouldn't be surprised if they just raise the base price $25k.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:33 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Another possibility is that they'll raise the MSRP materially and just move up the demand curve rather than increase supply much. I'm sure they have some Finance folks studying what happened the last time around and estimating the best supply/pricing equation for Porsche. I wouldn't be surprised if they just raise the base price $25k.
That's a real possibility. Porsche bumped the price of Turbo S 911s hard around 2-3 years ago, and Turbo owners weren't trying to blow up the engine to claim a new motor, either.

Pricing the new 991.2 GT3 with a MT version at 991.1 base price plus $10k seems like a minimum bump to Porsche's "first sticker." Those willing to pay a second sticker may go to the front of the line, but I'm patient.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:41 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yeah, that could happen. I think the base price will be $150k+ so I just don't see many people willing to pay $200k for a GT3 when RSs can be had in the low $200s.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Why are you all assuming all the dealers will mark up the .2GT3? I know some do but many don't.

Look at this way. The early buyers of hot Gt models like the GT3 are typically terrific customers of the dealership. They have purchased many Porsche's over the years and have been loyal to that dealer. Why would a dealer try to pry money over MSRP and possible loss that customer? It does not make good business sense.

Now I can understand a premium if the buyer is not a regular customer which the dealer may never see again. But with a long standing customer? Very doubtful.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Why are you all assuming all the dealers will mark up the .2GT3? I know some do but many don't.
If you know any California dealers that are making .2 allocations available at MSRP to non-VIP customers, please provide a list of their names here in this thread. I'll give them all a call on Monday and find out how long their list is and if they're taking deposits. I've already played dialing for dollars a bunch and got nothing but talk to the hand so far.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:22 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick

Look at this way. The early buyers of hot Gt models like the GT3 are typically terrific customers of the dealership. They have purchased many Porsche's over the years and have been loyal to that dealer. Why would a dealer try to pry money over MSRP and possible loss that customer? It does not make good business sense.

Now I can understand a premium if the buyer is not a regular customer which the dealer may never see again. But with a long standing customer? Very doubtful.
Because this is Rennlist. Typically only the bad gets posted too.

Quick Reply: First Post: Looking for advice on allocating a 991.2 GT3 at sticker.