Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what does your wife/girlfriend think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by H82BL8
My wife "claims" she has no interest in cars or my car hobby.

she is very quick to remind me that she has the most powerful vehicle in our garage....
Likewise... last year I had an itch for a hot Audi as as my DD, showed my wife the pics to get her buy in, and she said, "sure, I'll take it"! Now she tools around in the a Misano Red Audi RS7 with Miltek sport exhaust. Wakes the neighbors every time she fires up the ignition. She gets no end to the double takes when guys see a small Japanese woman driving up in it.

As as far as her take on the P-cars, I'm lucky to have such an understanding wife.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:03 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My other half is over it pretty much. She enjoys the Smokies events but she's bored with GT3 this, GT3 that. Lol.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

My wife has two Caymans, is a PCA DE instructor, and can't stop smiling when she drives the GT3.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Wife could care less. She's fine with my passion for them, but she has no interest in cars, has never asked to drive any of my Porsches, and only chimes in when I start talking about $250,000 cars to remind me of the house she wants to retire in down in Carmel. She'll suffer the passenger seat sometimes when we drive down to Monterey, but she'd much rather we were in the Tahoe.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:57 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

My wife is not a car enthusiast but is just happy for me. More than that she's thankful that my passion for these cars enabled us to be part of a special community, Smokies GT. We've met amazing people and developed very close friendships that may not otherwise have happened. If that were not enough, she is very supportive of the fundraising that Smokies does for Cystic Fibrosis.

As a side note, last night The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation presented the Smokies GT group with an award for our achievements last year. It was a proud moment for us all. The 3 lava RS boys and their wives were present and I'm sure that each of the wives were thankful that their men are so passionate about their GT cars.

Last edited by Haku; 02-11-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

wow your wives are all supportive.

fk me.

married 20 years dated her 8 years before that.
she know i loved cars.
she can't understand the fascination.
but knows happy hubby happy life.
i get moody without cars.
when mooty is moody, ppl around me get hurt.
she used to bug me about cars.
now i just dont ask dont tell.
i park them off site now.
they are all my friends' cars.

she drives a POS odyssey.
i dont wash it
it's PTS gray dirt. i think that's what honda called it.
she loves it and kisses curbs, sidewalks and other cars often.

she does think i am insane..
not just with cars
but bikes, shoes, sweat pants, gund snuffles.....
Old 02-11-2017, 04:24 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
My wife has two Caymans, is a PCA DE instructor, and can't stop smiling when she drives the GT3.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:46 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

She knows it's an expensive hobby, but she cool with it. She will go for a drive, but I can't go fast makes her naucious, and rather watch paint dry .........
Old 02-11-2017, 08:30 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I have my lady infected by the same desease I'm suffering, so we do everything related to our car passion together. Recently we even bought her taylormade FreeM fireproofs so she will be joining me at the track as a driver from now on.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:16 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Been together 15 years.....she knows I am a car junkie...occasionally, she will show me a pic of a car that she likes....wants an Audi S7, next "when she is done with her Subaru." She is my needle in the haystack, amazing lady! I routinely tell her I need to thank the first putz, who dropped the ball!
She drove my car, twice, at Lime Rock, enjoyed it but, not passionate about it...whew....... On account of the car, I have met some great people, and have some great friends.

The recent sale of my baby of 14 years has me at the precipice of depression, getting moody, displaying withdrawal symptoms......an empty garage sucks. She knows it and she knows what I am looking at.......no comments, yet...... I will begin in earnest, for the hunt for the replacement very shortly. Mild pushback at best.......surmountable...see what she says once she drives "it"
Old 02-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

My wife loves my 997S, we go on dates with it usually or just nice beach cruising. We also have driven across the USA and back in it always great for roadtrips. The Shelby GT350 she likes a lot but also I know it's a bit loud and crazy for her, definitely not a passenger friendly car like the Porsche. I know when I was shopping for the GT350 she didn't really understand my fascination but when she saw and heard the car in person she immediately understood.

She personally drives a really nice Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas I bought for her used about 3 years ago and loves it. She has hinted she wants to add her own Cayman someday to the stable which I fully support of course.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:00 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Wifey is a keeper, 36 years so far. Zoom in on the door to see her name. I don't think I have ever told her I was going to buy a ***car. It is usually weeks to months that I tell her or somebody tells her. Months after I signed for the GT4 I told her. She was all over the internet reading everything about it. When it finally arrived I took her to the dealer in the GT3 RS and let her drive the GT4 out of the showroom and home. Not Porsche sports car driving here at present, but taking wifey to Ford dealer tomorrow to look at a Nitros Blue Focus RS. Almost need to, got to keep her from taking mine.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:26 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife was very happy when we got the Porsche, and she loves that I enjoy it. She drives it on the track, but rarely on the street. It is a fine car in which to learn technique. She has her own sports car for the street and, increasingly, for the track as well: something she chose and spec'ced for herself. The car hobby is one we enjoy together very much, but it is only one of many shared pursuits and enthusiasms. Through it we have met some pretty wonderful and, unfortunately, some pretty awful people too. We both find that it's much more about the driving, the passion, and the good society than it is about the cars per se.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:12 AM
VaclavSV
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only single guy on the forum!?

My ex used to snap me when she'd take my black series out...

Name:  Ds0s5ZQ.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  103.8 KB

I actually ended it with her on our way back from F1 in Montreal 2 years ago for other reasons but she was very supportive when it came to embracing this passion of mine! And no she wasnt into me for the car aha... we met when I owned a pontiac and she'd put up with my terrible drifting at the time

Now I have more fun being single and I actively try to hide the cars when I meet girls. But the fact is every girl I take out in my Macan Turbo LOVES it!! So most might not care for the GT cars but toss them in the Macan and its a different story!

Anyways hearing about your wives though makes me wonder who Ill end up with in due time ahahah
Old 02-12-2017, 04:01 AM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My wife is like, "you can have as many p-cars as you want as long as we retire to California". This knowing that I'll be able to drive the car more than a couple months a year as currently in NJ and also get a bigger garage. I don't like Florida weather. So where do you get a good chopped liver and pastrami on rye in California?

Quick Reply: So what does your wife/girlfriend think?