Side muffler delete & throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 12:37 AM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Side muffler delete & throttle response

Hi guys,

I've just installed the FVD side muffler delete at my local Porsche dealer, pretty happy with the new found aggression.

It's been over 30 degrees celcius(86-100F)+ here in the past few days since I picked up the car but I feel like i've lost throttle response...I'm not sure if it's the weather or the lack of side mufflers that is causing this. Anyone have any opinions on this?

I've noticed it from 3-4k rpm in say 4th gear onwards, I remember the throttle used to feel sharper...am I going mad?

Might need to go to a third muffler delete instead.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:24 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jono809
Hi guys,

I've just installed the FVD side muffler delete at my local Porsche dealer, pretty happy with the new found aggression.

It's been over 30 degrees celcius(86-100F)+ here in the past few days since I picked up the car but I feel like i've lost throttle response...I'm not sure if it's the weather or the lack of side mufflers that is causing this. Anyone have any opinions on this?

I've noticed it from 3-4k rpm in say 4th gear onwards, I remember the throttle used to feel sharper...am I going mad?

Might need to go to a third muffler delete instead.
When you mention aggression, are you referring to power or sound? If power is the case, how does it tie into aggression? Is lost throttle response referring to a slower building of the engine revs? Thank you in advance.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
When you mention aggression, are you referring to power or sound? If power is the case, how does it tie into aggression? Is lost throttle response referring to a slower building of the engine revs? Thank you in advance.
Aggressive sound, it's way too tame stock. Very responsive though.

Throttle response, the throttle just feels a touch slower to react. I'll have to wait until the weather cools down a bit to work it out.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,121 Posts

It's the heat or your head :-)
Most likely the heat.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:49 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 779 Posts

Heat. Side muffler delete always made some power but perhaps a tiny bit of torque loss. That's the reason the flaps always close until 3xxx RPM.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:02 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Heat. Side muffler delete always made some power but perhaps a tiny bit of torque loss. That's the reason the flaps always close until 3xxx RPM.
Flaps the same as the exhaust valves? My car is currently in the shop and I asked them to keep them open all the time so they added some BB's to the line right at the valves so they're open all the time. Bad idea? Not too late to reverse.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Always loud is nicer but you loose a little TQ. On the 997's it was easy to plug in or plug out the cable that powers the flaps..

For now I've left them alone but the car is too quiet from idle to 3500 or so.
If you unplug, you make the 50lbs worth of side mufflers useless and might as well do side muffler delete. Should only be $1000 or so and easily reversible.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:11 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Always loud is nicer but you loose a little TQ. On the 997's it was easy to plug in or plug out the cable that powers the flaps.. For now I've left them alone but the car is too quiet from idle to 3500 or so. If you unplug, you make the 50lbs worth of side mufflers useless and might as well do side muffler delete. Should only be $1000 or so and easily reversible.
Thanks, I'll see if I like it but I'd give up a little TQ for sounding awesome all the time! All these header setups (Dundon) delete the side mufflers right? Thinking about going that route and retaining the stock center muffler. I had a center muffler delete, but decided to switch that up for a few reasons.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Always loud is nicer but you loose a little TQ. On the 997's it was easy to plug in or plug out the cable that powers the flaps..

For now I've left them alone but the car is too quiet from idle to 3500 or so.
If you unplug, you make the 50lbs worth of side mufflers useless and might as well do side muffler delete. Should only be $1000 or so and easily reversible.
The FVD side deletes are the best option for the money. $400 for the pair. Can't beat that for the weight savings.

I installed these on my car and I like them so far. No loss of throttle response detected. Slight drone when lugging on side roads under 3k RPM but nothing my wife complains about. Sound is definitely better than stock.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:24 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
The FVD side deletes are the best option for the money. $400 for the pair. Can't beat that for the weight savings.

I installed these on my car and I like them so far. No loss of throttle response detected. Slight drone when lugging on side roads under 3k RPM but nothing my wife complains about. Sound is definitely better than stock.
You able to hit up AMP this Friday? I'd love to hear it and we have a handful of RS guys going out if the weather ends up in the 60s+.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Right on the road you don't mind a few TQ's and on track you're never below 4K RPM.

Dundon headers are awesome and the best of all worlds.
If you you don't need cats like here in FL then they make big power, sound awesome and with a stock final muffler you keep the flaps working and can use the button.

With just side muffler deletes all you do is take out side cans and put 2 pipes in. Optionally you can keep the flaps working if you keep stock mufflers and side delete pipes with the valves.

On my 997's I did FVD aftermarket center, no flaps and side muffler delete.
So always loud, but not louder then a typical center muffler from Sharky.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas

I do that, or I go with a side muffler delete with valves and a stock steel GT3 center muffler.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:46 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I went through 6 different exhaust configurations.... IN MY OPINION..... by far the best balance of sound quality, sound level(loudness) and power was;
long tubes, no cats, valved side bypass pipes and factory center. The same configuration Dundon uses. I would love to try Akra center if it wasn't so damn expensive.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to Hijack but I have a set of these for sale.
Perfect condition $315 shipped
Old 01-07-2017, 02:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

A set of what exactly?
Why?

Quick Reply: Side muffler delete & throttle response