Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI: Ross Bentley & RSR Ring trip 5/30-31

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 04:28 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Grand Turismo is limited to 140 cars. I have friends that usually participate there and they say that they get a lot of track time. Especially day 2. I think the car standard is very high at GT. I guess that the participants are a mix of racing drivers, fast drivers, posers and tire kickers.

Here's my calculation if you do this trip yourself:

Arrive at Frankfurt
Rent a car for 5 days (to get to Nürburg): €200
Rent a car for the Ring for two days: €2600 (Renault Megane RS) (€900 for a BMW125)
Trackday fee (incl lunch, dinner, hotel): €3000 + VAT

FWIW: Normally RSR's cars are insured.

http://www.granturismoevents.com/gra...burgring-2017/
Old 01-04-2017, 01:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Can you guys expand on with RSR everything is good until it isn't??

Does the cost include track insurance? Is there insurance for a mishap?
PM'ed you.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Grand Turismo is limited to 140 cars. I have friends that usually participate there and they say that they get a lot of track time. Especially day 2. I think the car standard is very high at GT. I guess that the participants are a mix of racing drivers, fast drivers, posers and tire kickers.

Here's my calculation if you do this trip yourself:

Arrive at Frankfurt
Rent a car for 5 days (to get to Nürburg): €200
Rent a car for the Ring for two days: €2600 (Renault Megane RS) (€900 for a BMW125)
Trackday fee (incl lunch, dinner, hotel): €3000 + VAT

FWIW: Normally RSR's cars are insured.

http://www.granturismoevents.com/gra...burgring-2017/
probably a better way to go IMO. BTW while RSR cars are insured the deductables are significant, and determination of the status of the car is entirely their determination *not* the 3rd party insurer (whoever they are).
Old 01-04-2017, 09:46 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I kind of doubt Ron insures these cars. The speculation on the ground was that he just sells the wrecks, then goes on the secondary market and gets a replacement. Not sure how he manages the high-dollar cars. When I was at Spa last June, someone (never found out for sure if it was the coach or the student) put a brand new GT3 RS into the wall at La Source heading down the old pit straight. Significant damage and boy was Ron pissed!

Ron himself was hooning a Ferrari (can't recall which exact model) and boy was it fun to see him fully sideways out of the bus stop chicane and onto the front straight, and hear that unmistakeable glorious wail of the F-car's engine while he smoked the tires.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:20 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I wonder if that was the same RS that went off at Aremberg recently ... I think that was an RSR car also
Old 01-05-2017, 04:23 AM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I kind of doubt Ron insures these cars. The speculation on the ground was that he just sells the wrecks, then goes on the secondary market and gets a replacement. Not sure how he manages the high-dollar cars. When I was at Spa last June, someone (never found out for sure if it was the coach or the student) put a brand new GT3 RS into the wall at La Source heading down the old pit straight. Significant damage and boy was Ron pissed!
Hi,

We met at lunch on trackdays.de Nordschliefe day last June.

RSR insure their cars in Luxembourg which is why they are all on Lux. registration plates. I recall the new GT3RS backing into the outside wall coming out of La Source at Spa. Luckily the driver was an RSR employee so did not have to pay RSR the excess which would have been humungous.

As I recall, the excess on a Megan was €17k and €50k for a GT4...

Ralph
Old 01-06-2017, 01:20 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Rented a megane at rsr, it was not in good condition, worn tires plus different tires front and back.
overall experience i wouldnt rent there again.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mika911
I know RSR well and have rented with them on many occasions. I've personally never had issues but witnessed some disputes. I agree they are tough on people that have crashed, but they need to be or they'd go out of business. Their reasoning is that besides the cost of the damage (which many crashers try to wriggle out of) there's also a loss of income when the car is being repaired. Seeing how many people have tried the business model and failed, RSR may have the right approach.
I beg to differ, I dont believe that demanding you surrender your passport (because "Ron prefers that you do") until you pay up is "tough", its not good
business, its certainly not "in good faith", its not ethical IMO, and its
not legal (which is why I politely told them to go and f*** themselves when
they tried this ****e on with me). YMMV

Originally Posted by ralphmusic
Hi,

We met at lunch on trackdays.de Nordschliefe day last June.

RSR insure their cars in Luxembourg which is why they are all on Lux. registration plates. I recall the new GT3RS backing into the outside wall coming out of La Source at Spa. Luckily the driver was an RSR employee so did not have to pay RSR the excess which would have been humungous.

As I recall, the excess on a Megan was €17k and €50k for a GT4...

Ralph
I had forgotten that fact, I suspect there is probably a good financial reason for that

Originally Posted by 80s

Rented a megane at rsr, it was not in good condition, worn tires plus different tires front and back.
overall experience i wouldnt rent there again.
I far prefer Theo and Heide @ rentracecar.de
Old 01-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

They have had to deal with several cases in which damage was not recovered. So they try to make people aware of the consequences and are very firm when it does go wrong. In my business it's very normal to have security to cover liabilities so not sure why they should risk tens of thousands on someone's blue eyes.

You clearly had some bad experience (resulting from you crashing?) and it's OK to share that. I've used them a lot and have personally mainly had good experience (though did crash one of Ron's beloved Alfa's in the rain, which was settled fairly).
Old 01-06-2017, 03:03 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

They have had to deal with several cases in which damage was not recovered. So they try to make people aware of the consequences and are very firm when it does go wrong. In my business it's very normal to have security to cover liabilities so not sure why they should risk tens of thousands on someone's blue eyes.

You clearly had some bad experience (resulting from you crashing?) and it's OK to share that. I've used them a lot and have personally mainly had good experience (though did crash one of Ron's beloved Alfa's in the rain, which was settled fairly).
Not sure if you are refering to me, no i did not crash, didnt break the car at all. Still my experience w rsr is that i def dont recommennd renting here.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:10 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

I did a Spa event with RSR, which turned out to be some spots he bought from a Brit organiser. The Brit crew were very organised, but Ron turned up late and had no clue what was going on. Rubbish. I'd have gone direct and had a much better experience if I'd known.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:02 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by DaveGordon
I did a Spa event with RSR, which turned out to be some spots he bought from a Brit organiser. The Brit crew were very organised, but Ron turned up late and had no clue what was going on. Rubbish. I'd have gone direct and had a much better experience if I'd known.
That would have been last August? I was there. And that's when I suffered my sour experience. With RSR. The main event organizer had cars on track at 9 AM. RSR didn't get out until at least an hour later. That morning the skies were clear, but rain was forecast, so I was desperate to get out and put some laps in before the rain came. By 11 AM the final decision was in and I was not going to be lapping Spa (now in the rain). My choice was to sit and watch, or leave for Frankfurt a day early. I decided on the latter and had the good fortune of mostly sunny skies, clear roads and the orgasmic bliss of kilometer after kilometer of unrestricted Autobahn!
Old 01-06-2017, 04:10 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Ah, for me this was a couple of years ago, so a different event(!). I didn't miss any track time, but was just annoyed to have given them any business in the end.

Yeah, some of those empty, derestricted autobahn stretches around there are awesome
Old 01-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I do not wish to get into an argument with you, since its a matter of opinion (mostly) what is good/bad (and illegal) business practice (or not). However
in my opinion demanding the surrender of your passport until such time as
you fulfill a civil/business contract is *not* doing business in good faith,
and I suspect is also illegal.

I would not do business with RSR ever again as a result.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:37 PM
Ducatigirl848
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSR Nurburg & Spa

Hey,
I don't post very often but found this thread recently and have to comment. I have dealt with RSR for the last 4 years both at the Ring and at Spa. I started renting their cars for track days and then progressed to the RCN and VLN races in their Renault Cup car. I now race VLN in a Porsche Cup 991 that I own but still do the occasional track day with them for testing whether it is their day or not I've always had great service and super fun times.
This is just my experience but I know plenty of other people that have a great time with RSR so I wouldn't be too hasty to judge their outfit.

Quick Reply: FYI: Ross Bentley & RSR Ring trip 5/30-31