Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update

Old 01-21-2017, 12:44 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I agree - the GTS does 7:22 with Corsas which are not as fast a true R-compound DOT track tire. Pretty stunning for a fairly heavy car with only 450hp and only 6 performance gears on street tires. I expect the new GT3 to be faster than 7:22 (I'm not sure where GTS would fall with equal tires relative to current RS and next GT3, but I guess that's why Porsche doesn't offer them with equal tires )
Either way good for us. The faster and better performing they make the lower models, the better the GT models will be.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:57 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
you know, if I could start over and choose another career, it would be one of those guys testing new Porsches. Man, what a gig! my life must have taken a wrong turn somewhere?

Yeah. Sign me up too!!!!!
Old 01-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Apolo1
Don't forget the target for the 91RS was a 7.20, They did it on damp track that's it Job done. On another day whilst optimising aero on a dry track day, my understanding is that it set a faster time, by quite a bit....
The RS is quite a ride. Punches WAY above its weight.

See Avatar to left. Sums RS up.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Porsche would raise their prices to pass the vast majority (not all) of the tariff on to us consumers, and they would also sell less cars here. Meanwhile, the collected tariff would go into government coffers and effectively be a large added tax.

Could it be that Germans are successful at selling cars around the world because they know how to make good cars and deserve their success? Does any car made in America truly rival Porsche in terms of design, performance, proven trackworthiness, durability, etc.?
You're still struggling to understand the effects of the tariff.

A producer/manufacturer/seller CANNOT "pass along" the entirety of a tax or tariff unless the demand curve is vertical, i.e. inelastic, i.e. consumers are not sensitive to price. E.g., a life saving pharma drug (topical example)

In the GT3 marketplace (as well as the marketplace for essentially every product ever made), demand declines as prices rise. If Porsche could sell x units of a GT3 at $150K, they can only sell some number less than x at $202.5K (135% of the previous price) - that is how the manufacturer suffers, as they are only collecting $150K of revenue on some number of units less than the original number x.

As far as whether or not any car made in America can compete with the holy grail of Porsche, I think it's fair to compare what the engineers can do with similar or unconstrained budgets (ie, factory racing).

Similar street car budget - do you want a 4 banger Cayman with a few options that are standard on any other car in the price strata? It will also sound like a Subaru... vs. ... a C7 Grandsport or stripper Z06?

Similar factory racing budget (ie, unconstrained) - Corvette finished 1-2 at Daytona last year and won the title in IMSA. Porsche has a brand new car. We'll see.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:29 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,725 Likes on 2,165 Posts

^ I don't see any contradiction - tariff means Porsche sells less cars here, and we pay more for them, while the government collects money. Both manufacturer and consumer suffer.

Regarding comparing cars, racing outcomes are nice, but we're comparing production cars for use on road and track. US offers nothing that truly competes with Porsche, considering all factors. For that matter, neither do other manufacturers, though AMG may be getting there, and M4 GTS was also a decent effort. Viper ACR dominates on the track, but not well liked for road use. Vette is a muscle car which can put down fast laps when the car works, but I see too many of them being worked on in the paddock rather than circulating the track. GT350R appeals, but a big car, so not in the Porsche niche either.

We need cars that are smallish, light, fast, reliable/durable on track, precise, fun, and priced well below exotics. Porsche continues to dominate here because their engineering expertise is superior.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:39 PM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
^ I don't see any contradiction - tariff means Porsche sells less cars here, and we pay more for them, while the government collects money. Both manufacturer and consumer suffer.

Regarding comparing cars, racing outcomes are nice, but we're comparing production cars for use on road and track. US offers nothing that truly competes with Porsche, considering all factors. For that matter, neither do other manufacturers, though AMG may be getting there, and M4 GTS was also a decent effort. Viper ACR dominates on the track, but not well liked for road use. Vette is a muscle car which can put down fast laps when the car works, but I see too many of them being worked on in the paddock rather than circulating the track. GT350R appeals, but a big car, so not in the Porsche niche either.

We need cars that are smallish, light, fast, reliable/durable on track, precise, fun, and priced well below exotics. Porsche continues to dominate here because their engineering expertise is superior.
I am no fan of the Z06 but their 7MT even when they were having over-heating issues didn't have any issues. The 2017 7MT is doing well and has faster lap times than the GT3, GT3 RS, TT, TTs... No engine failures and it is warrantied for track use. Just saying.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:53 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

How about getting the 991.2 gt3 in manual with personal sills
Or at the side skirts
"Flappy paddles are for grandmas" -Andreas Preuniger
Old 01-21-2017, 04:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Grant. Thanks for the tire update. I do look forward to that. Id liek to try those new tyres om my 991.1 GT3 before I get a 991.2 GT3. Hopefully they will release them before the cars start arriving...I believe the rims will be the same size/design.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:37 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Grant, I'm assuming the stickier tires are better for quicker track times, so does this mean they will wear quicker?
Not necessary but likely...
Old 01-21-2017, 04:39 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Hi Macca - yes, I have be told to expect new tires from both Michelin and Dunlop. Not sure if it's simply a matter of a new N designation, but should be significantly quicker.

The N1 for the RS is grippier then the N0 for the 918 ... so as you say, even a new N2 could be very interesting.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
The N1 for the RS is grippier then the N0 for the 918 ... so as you say, even a new N2 could be very interesting.
We have been waiting a long time. I suspect this is the most likely path Michelin would take. Hopefully the price doesn't increase. It's sending me broke already!
Old 01-21-2017, 06:14 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963

There is something very special coming. The rumours about a certain car linked back to a particular 997 are true.
Originally Posted by Birel22

"Something very special" in my mind means a sport classic or speedster.

Very, very close.

Beyond Geneva.
Originally Posted by squid42

I wonder of a manual naturally aspirated convertible. In the past Porsche was willing to cut off some windshield, put in a GT-ish engine, charge a lot and call it a "Roadster".

you're thinking of a Speedster. Could happen (Convertible version of 911R), but only rumors...
Originally Posted by Guest89

Speedster

Speedster is coming.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:36 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

What is it about the speedster i dont understand?
Maybe a build flirting w the 993 gt2 that would be something!
Old 01-21-2017, 07:37 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by 80s
What is it about the speedster i dont understand?
Maybe a build flirting w the 993 gt2 that would be something!
Agree. I don't get the fuss about the speedsters. They do nothing for me.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:55 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree. I don't get the fuss about the speedsters. They do nothing for me.
I agree. The big hump in the back to me ruins the complete shape of a 911. Just not my cup of tea.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update