Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:56 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Dont understand why people think a detuned 4.0 is not an option for the GT4?
Well, what would a detuned 4.0 that makes ~430hp look like? Let's say the GT3 engine is around $60k and an X51 3.8 is about $30k. To maintain positioning and pricing with a GT3 based engine, we need to cut $30k and 70hp out to the existing engine. If we lower the redline to say 8k rpm. We can drop the dry sump, design a new cheaper crank, design a cheaper head - no finger followers, new cams, no dlc anything -and basically strip everything off the engine that makes it special and then end up with a detuned 4L that meets specs. Or, Porsche could do no design, engineering, or testing and just drop in an existing tested X51 3.8 at the same power level.

If a 4l did happen, I could see a stroked x51 3.8 engine rather than a detuned GT3 engine. Just need to steal the crank and rods from the RS engine and you get a 4L 450hp budget option....
Old 01-19-2017, 12:29 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries
I think you should call the development team and tell them to place the RSR motor found in the $800,000 race car into the $80k GT4, let them know it won't cost much. Then call the engineering team and tell them instead of placing the 3.8L engine from the GTS which is almost identical to the Carrera S and requires little additional cost for research and development to place this RSR motor and spend a few million tweaking all the bugs out. They may give you a GT4 for free for this tip they overlooked.
The costs of manufacturing scale inversely with the quantities produced. More engines means cost per engine are reduced.

Porsche were obviously prepared to invest the R+D to fit the Carrera S engine into the original GT4. Why would they not do so for a new engine for the .2 GT4? Particularly as they know now they can sell a lot more than they were expecting to sell of the .1 GT4.

Originally Posted by ajw45
Well, what would a detuned 4.0 that makes ~430hp look like? Let's say the GT3 engine is around $60k and an X51 3.8 is about $30k. To maintain positioning and pricing with a GT3 based engine, we need to cut $30k and 70hp out to the existing engine. If we lower the redline to say 8k rpm. We can drop the dry sump, design a new cheaper crank, design a cheaper head - no finger followers, new cams, no dlc anything -and basically strip everything off the engine that makes it special and then end up with a detuned 4L that meets specs. Or, Porsche could do no design, engineering, or testing and just drop in an existing tested X51 3.8 at the same power level.

If a 4l did happen, I could see a stroked x51 3.8 engine rather than a detuned GT3 engine. Just need to steal the crank and rods from the RS engine and you get a 4L 450hp budget option....
Whilst GT3 engines may cost $60k for people to buy, they don't cost that much for Porsche to make. In any case, any increased costs of the 4.0 would be more than offset by the costs of spinning up an engine assembly line to produce an engine that was discontinued several years ago.

I'm simplifying things, but to detune it to 430HP could be as simple as an engine tune with intake and exhaust restrictions, no more work required.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:53 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

I could see now the after market Mfgs licking their lips for this
Old 01-19-2017, 01:47 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

I get that, but I know this dealer principle quite well. He is a genuine guy with no BS. When he told me that Porsche Australia had communicated to Australian dealers that it would be a 3.8, I absolutely believe that that is what he was told.
I agree with Whoopsy. Your dealer is either making things up or mis-heard the info. I reported that the next GT3 would be 4.0L with manual back in April 2016. That info came from a couple of resources including two large European dealers who were told it would be a 4.0 way back then, someone who works for a company in the supply chain to Porsche and one of the largest collectors in the world who had the info well in advance of anybody I know. Its a 4.0.. Nothing changed.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:03 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 292 Posts

I think you should call the development team and tell them to place the RSR motor found in the $800,000 race car into the $80k GT4, let them know it won't cost much.
You missed an important part of the rumor/news which is it's a GT4RS, not GT4, and would be priced accordingly.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:15 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I agree with Whoopsy. Your dealer is either making things up or mis-heard the info. I reported that the next GT3 would be 4.0L with manual back in April 2016. That info came from a couple of resources including two large European dealers who were told it would be a 4.0 way back then, someone who works for a company in the supply chain to Porsche and one of the largest collectors in the world who had the info well in advance of anybody I know. Its a 4.0.. Nothing changed.
All I'd like to add is that there are many types of cleaning ladies, of varying shapes, sizes, and veracity. However, I realized awhile ago that the dealer is almost never the cleaning lady (pic 1). now the dealer may dress up like the cleaning lady to get your interest, but dressing up like one doesn't mean they got the goods.. in fact they sometimes get their info from a google search.. and they might even be searching Rennlist.. you might even be the person they inadvertently quote... circuitous info at best.

A supply chain person, or a really good p-customer who spends a lot of money with the company is the hottest cleaning lady. (Pic 2)

One last point.. once Porsche have sold a car to you, the only who is worried about values and "not stepping on toes" is you.. they're just worried about selling you the next car. That's why the whole concern about preserving 911R supremacy was so funny.. no such thing.. it's all about what it would take to sell you the next GT3. VIP customers of all types have known exactly what this car was going to be for almost a year.. namely, an R without the plaque on the dash. It's crazy how that very basic fact got lost in all the noise, but I guess that's the fun and nature of forum speculation. Pure Entertainment chaos.

Driving over to Killarney racetrack now and gonna see what I can scoop.. I'm with my cleaning lady right now. ;-) .. we sometimes get into interesting Porsche events when she dresses hot like this.
Attached Images   
Old 01-19-2017, 02:25 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Guess there was a miscommunication somewhere in between.
I'll go with this - seems the most likely explanation given the facts.

For the record, my cleaning lady looks more like this

Name:  JwYGnfz.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  28.9 KB

than this:

Old 01-19-2017, 02:38 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I'll go with this - seems the most likely explanation given the facts.

For the record, my cleaning lady looks more like this

than this:

Yes, I was protecting identities.. mine also looks like a large man with a beard. Just for fun, here we are today racing: https://instagram.com/p/BPb5yMggUFc/
Old 01-19-2017, 03:01 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Yes, I was protecting identities.. mine also looks like a large man with a beard. Just for fun, here we are today racing: https://instagram.com/p/BPb5yMggUFc/
I believe you are with my home building friend right now in South Africa, please say hi to him
Old 01-19-2017, 03:44 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Would the 3.0t engine from regular 991.2 not fit in the gt4gen2?
Old 01-19-2017, 04:55 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Would the 3.0t engine from regular 991.2 not fit in the gt4gen2?
Apparently not in the .1 (can't find the quote but there is one somewhere). I don't think the 718 is different enough than the .1 to suggest it would fit in there.

Apart from that, Porsche are on the record as saying the next gt4 will be NA.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:58 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Didn't see this posted earlier, gts with stickier tyres (which will be an option for any 911 with 20 inch wheels) does 7:22 lap of ring.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ps-ring-in-726
Old 01-19-2017, 07:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

These are the specs on the 2017 991.2 Porsche GT3 Cup on which the 991.2 GT3 road care is "allegedly" based. 485 bhp and max rpm 8500. More torque than the 991.1 RS in the medium rev range...I cant see 9000 rpm for this engine...

Also the obvious argument against the GT4 with 4.0L is cost. De-tuning and down rating a 4.0L GT3/RS engine to fit the Cayman and run reliably and cool enough would be vastly more expensive than taking the outgoing 991.1 GT3 engine and updating it for 6.5 Euro compliance...
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2017, 08:38 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I think you should call the development team and tell them to place the RSR motor found in the $800,000 race car into the $80k GT4, let them know it won't cost much. Then call the engineering team and tell them instead of placing the 3.8L engine from the GTS which is almost identical to the Carrera S and requires little additional cost for research and development to place this RSR motor and spend a few million tweaking all the bugs out. They may give you a GT4 for free for this tip they overlooked.

The durability of the engine is much higher, the components have a higher degree of long term tolerance. Look up articles on the crankshaft comparing the GT3 and GT3 RS from the 991.1 to get a glimpse into some of the engineering involved. The cost and time to produce components increases.
I guess that was part of the appeal of the 997 GT road cars. Same Mezger engine in the 997 GT3, GT3RS, GT3 Cup, GT3R and GT3RSR.

Will wait for Macca and Whoopsy to sort things out on what engine is in what car!
Old 01-19-2017, 08:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im with whoopsy on the 4.0L in the new GT3.

However I dont buy into the "completely new valve train" marketing speak. Yes compared to 2013 MA175 991.1 GT3 Geneva launch car the valve train is heavily revised (DLC finger followers, lash adjusters, valbe springs, DLC coated cam lobes, additional oiling in the heads etc). However compared to the G engine replacements that are in my car and now many others...nah! The latest G engine in the GT3 and 911R are I would bet what we will get in the next GT3. There may be an additional oil squirter on the exhaust valve side of the head and perhaps a better scrubber for oil windage and closer resolution monitoring for crank case pressure, sure, but this is not a revolution just a mild evolution in what has become a long chain of series changes...Id love to be wrong but I dont see the baby going out with the bathwater on this...

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update