Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 05:46 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
I can not answer about the GT4 but the RS was not configurable: My dealer didn't get the order forms until the car was launched.

But the GT4 was revealed about a month before Geneva 2015 (3rd feb)
so it might have been configurable at that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGVWojMMeg4
Interesting, thanks
Old 12-11-2016, 06:59 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
GT3/RS does NOT have to go turbo, they have cars to compete with those, its callled a GT2/RS and a TT/S. Even automotive publications know this and is making the shift. Not sure why this is so hard for people to understand. The market clearly shows demand for NA and they will keep producing them. Porsche will keep producing NA homologation cars as they are still committed to NA motors for customer racing programs, as they are exponentially less expensive to own and operate, especially in endurance settings. They aren't going away anytime soon. It's that simple.

People need to start understanding that just like way back in the early 996 gt3 days, there was no direct comparing cars.....we are once again heading in that direction. No direct peers for the gt3/rs and its fine. Great in fact. Porsche sees the vacuum and is filling it.
I don't get get it either man, I really don't. What is is about the statement bolded above that people just can't seem to comprehend.

GT3/RS will fit within it's own segment in the marketplace. Period. It doesn't have to compete with the 488, P14, Ford GT, etc...etc... i.e. anything with turbos.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:34 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus

GT3/RS will fit within it's own segment in the marketplace. Period. It doesn't have to compete with the 488, P14, Ford GT, etc...etc... i.e. anything with turbos.
+1 Exactly
Old 12-11-2016, 11:23 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
I don't get get it either man, I really don't. What is is about the statement bolded above that people just can't seem to comprehend.

+1. Although, I wonder why PAG made the GT3RS with ONLY PDK. And, from what people have stated thus far, PAG doesn't appear to want to offer a manual in the GT3RS. The reason? PDK produces faster lap times and is superior to a manual. By that logic, couldn't PAG also make a similar statement that a turbo produces faster lap times and is superior to NA? And, therefore, not produce any NA.

Just a thought...
Old 12-11-2016, 11:33 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^ And that's why they created the "funner slower" R and the manual GT3 like it.
They will keep manual, they may keep some NA. But the RS will be top dog on track.
It used to be GT3RS and GT2RS but with everything and everybody going Hybrid TT, etc there just is no room for a slow RS. Well, there is but it's called R..
Old 12-12-2016, 05:56 AM
camjan
Rennlist Member

any intel on which colors will be offered (not paint to sample) on the .2 GT3?

I have a hunch miami blue will be offered, but that is just a hope of mine.

Edit 1: Also do you think there will be an option for Clear taillights? Current .2 configs only offer tinted taillights, not clear.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:01 AM
oc997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
^^ And that's why they created the "funner slower" R and the manual GT3 like it.
They will keep manual, they may keep some NA. But the RS will be top dog on track.
It used to be GT3RS and GT2RS but with everything and everybody going Hybrid TT, etc there just is no room for a slow RS. Well, there is but it's called R..
Can't agree with this more the RS is known for track time and "performance value" against more expensive sports cars like the Ferrari, Lamborghini and McLaren's.

If the future RS does not have a competitive track time around the ring it's a "nostalgic" marketing play.

The RS staying with NA engines and manual transmission for the sake of creating a purist driving experience is NOT how I see Porsche want to position the RS in the sports car marketplace against its rivals.

I think trakcar is spot on his viewpoint that there is a reason why the R brand was revived and why the GT3 has gotten back the manual transmission option but the future of the RS IMHO is driven primarily by having one of the quickest track times and not just fun purist driving experience.

I simply cannot see how the NA engine will provide the most competitive track times for the RS without going hybrid or Turbo engines.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:51 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Maybe they position the 960 as the hybrid, turbo, top track star in the future. 4 turbo, 8 electric motors, cold fusion, flex capacitor super beast.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:21 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 913 Posts

There's no room for slow RS? Why? Because they can't sell all the GT3/RS/R/GT2 RS they can make so they have to eliminate one?
Old 12-12-2016, 11:30 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Its one thing when the new 991.2 GTS is faster than a GT3, another if its faster than an RS.
The GT3 being slower than a GTS they can fix with a manual being positioned as a pedestrian R.

Its another thing for the RS to be slower than non GT cars..
Old 12-12-2016, 11:45 AM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Amazing how many have cleaning ladies, I can't afford one, so I decided to get married.
LAUGH OUT LOUD
Old 12-12-2016, 06:31 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Sorry guys. I can't see guys spending $200K + on an RS when in the same ballpark you will have TT cars outrunning that NA car. Remember we are talking 2020. Likely TT technology far advanced beyond today with lighter more progressive turbo systems and even with exhuaust enhancers to make it sound like NA

Just MHO.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:27 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by camjan
any intel on which colors will be offered (not paint to sample) on the .2 GT3?

I have a hunch miami blue will be offered, but that is just a hope of mine.

Edit 1: Also do you think there will be an option for Clear taillights? Current .2 configs only offer tinted taillights, not clear.
I'd like to know this as well. I also think Miami will be offered along with Carmine. I suspect a high take rate if Miami is offered. Maybe they wanted to slowly introduce Miami into the rest of the lineup and that's why they kept it pts for the Rs? But I know carmine was a gt4 offering and not gt3 rs offering or 16 gt3 offering.

The more I'm typing the more I'm saying to myself who knows? LOL.

I do know that Eduardo thinks highly of Miami (if I interpreted his posts correctly).
Old 12-12-2016, 08:15 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Its one thing when the new 991.2 GTS is faster than a GT3, another if its faster than an RS.
The GT3 being slower than a GTS they can fix with a manual being positioned as a pedestrian R.

Its another thing for the RS to be slower than non GT cars..
Well said Peter.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:31 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Originally Posted by MEM82
I'd like to know this as well. I also think Miami will be offered along with Carmine. I suspect a high take rate if Miami is offered. Maybe they wanted to slowly introduce Miami into the rest of the lineup and that's why they kept it pts for the Rs? But I know carmine was a gt4 offering and not gt3 rs offering or 16 gt3 offering.

The more I'm typing the more I'm saying to myself who knows? LOL.

I do know that Eduardo thinks highly of Miami (if I interpreted his posts correctly).
If I can't PTS and Miami Blue is available as a color for the GT3 then that's what I'm getting.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update