Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: AMG GT R

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 02:45 AM
kingjr9000
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From RT: Just had a chat with my mate, VLN champion 2011, 24 hours winner N'Ring 2016 in an AMG GT3 and he thinks the lap by Gebhard is great, still 3-6 second faster is possible
Old 12-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,785 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
AMG R is meh. Don't care for the styling. Like a sport luxury coupe inside. Heavy. Big power yes so at the Ring big power means great times. Try Watkins Glen or other shorter tighter tracks.
Power helps, but grip usually is the biggest factor. When grip is increased by aero, the power is needed to overcome aero drag. This is the formula for the king of the hill, the Viper ACR. It's the main reason for the RS being faster than the GT3. And it's the reason why the GT4 isn't a lot slower than the GT3 (especially when the GT4 is set up well), despite being down 90 hp.

I predict that the AMG GT-R will beat the RS at every track.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:21 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Power helps, but grip usually is the biggest factor. When grip is increased by aero, the power is needed to overcome aero drag. This is the formula for the king of the hill, the Viper ACR. It's the main reason for the RS being faster than the GT3. And it's the reason why the GT4 isn't a lot slower than the GT3 (especially when the GT4 is set up well), despite being down 90 hp. I predict that the AMG GT-R will beat the RS at every track.
This ^ Ask the Weathertech boys what they think of the AMG GTR based car vs the GT3R these things have been winning VLN races for years an putting the hurt on Porsche. Once you get past their unique look you kind of start liking them. The new Weathertech car looks hella cool...
Old 12-10-2016, 10:10 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Having seen this car in person and the race car...this time is legit no doubt. No doubt this car will be faster for a lot of people vs the 3RS or next gen 3RS.

BIG ISSUE: will it stand up to the abuse that an RS does?

The Mercedes has:

Rear steering
Active aero including an F-duct for drag reduction
Monster lower diffuser for way more grip than the car should have
100 HP extra vs the GT3RS
Way more sophisticated TCS/ ESC and Suspension electronics.

The GTD IMSA car will be pretty unstoppable especially with Riley running it.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:35 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Having seen this car in person and the race car...this time is legit no doubt. No doubt this car will be faster for a lot of people vs the 3RS or next gen 3RS.

BIG ISSUE: will it stand up to the abuse that an RS does?

The Mercedes has:

Rear steering
Active aero including an F-duct for drag reduction
Monster lower diffuser for way more grip than the car should have
100 HP extra vs the GT3RS
Way more sophisticated TCS/ ESC and Suspension electronics.

The GTD IMSA car will be pretty unstoppable especially with Riley running it.
CJ: As always thanks for the info. You definitely have your finger on the pulse of this stuff.

I don't doubt the performance envelope with a TT 4.0 and some of the tech advantages of the AMG R over the '16 GT3RS.

MB will be producing as many as they can. I expect them to be quite prolific and you will be seeing them at your local car wash in 2 years.

To me its a Nissan GTR wtih a TTV8 and even more whiz bang tech.

Guys here complain when a GT3 has PDK and pee in their pants at the thought of TT. Do you want ever increasing speed or the driving experience? Seems like we have reached the "fork in the road". Either you want the driving experience and feel or you want ever faster and faster regardless of whether it takes human input out of the equation to get there.

Pick one.

Even with the AMG GT R's tech advantage and power advantage the RS will still be competitive at various tracks my bet. Plus the driving experience of an RS or GT3 is part of the package you buy with a Porsche. MB hasn't figured a way yet to deliver that driver experience and feel. The old slogan comes to mind. "Porsche..There is no substitute".

So who here would trade their RS for the AMG GT R? Post up.

Not me.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:47 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Either you want the driving experience and feel, or...
I left the 'or...' open because most cars now (at any price) are devoid of the driving experience Porsche offers, whether more powerful or not. Since I can only afford one sports car, the driving experience will always take precedence over power or speed, no matter how bigger the differences are. And yes, it's also more enjoyable to drive a slower car fast, than a super fast car slow.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

CJ: As always thanks for the info. You definitely have your finger on the pulse of this stuff.

I don't doubt the performance envelope with a TT 4.0 and some of the tech advantages of the AMG R over the '16 GT3RS.

MB will be producing as many as they can. I expect them to be quite prolific and you will be seeing them at your local car wash in 2 years.

Guys here complain when a GT3 has PDK and pee in their pants at the thought of TT. Do you want ever increasing speed or the driving experience? Seems like we have reached the "fork in the road". Either you want the driving experience and feel or you want ever faster and faster regardless of whether it takes human input out of the equation to get there.

Pick one.

Even with the AMG GT R's tech advantage and power advantage the RS will still be competitive at various tracks my bet. Plus the driving experience of an RS or GT3 is part of the package you buy with a Porsche. MB hasn't figured a way yet to deliver that driver experience and feel. The old slogan comes to mind. "Porsche..There is no substitute".

Not me.
Well said!
Old 12-10-2016, 05:17 PM
jpohill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pick one.

Not me.
Just some insight - There will be less than 200 GT R to the US per year - that is the plan. I'm sure that could change but unlikely. Approx 3 year run.

I had one of the 1st GT S E1 cars and it faltered on the track - typical Turbo car issues, and frankly I broke it bad enough AMG bought it back. But I will say it was a Ton of fun on the track - very engaging car.
Can I say my RS is better - Absolutely - but R is so different then GTS

What AMG has done with this car is impressive. I will get one of the 1st R's this spring and will run it side by side with the RS and give my honest feedback - but I have a feeling the R will be faster most of the time based on what I know. Feel / Fun factor is a bit subjective but I'll gladly tell you my thoughts once I drive it. I think AMG engineering has something to prove.

P.S. - Wouldn't trade my RS unless they threw in an S-coupe
Old 12-10-2016, 06:43 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Pick one.

Not me.
Didn't mean to post but can't delete so....Hey!
Old 12-10-2016, 08:22 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by jpohill
Just some insight - There will be less than 200 GT R to the US per year - that is the plan. I'm sure that could change but unlikely. Approx 3 year run.

I had one of the 1st GT S E1 cars and it faltered on the track - typical Turbo car issues, and frankly I broke it bad enough AMG bought it back. But I will say it was a Ton of fun on the track - very engaging car.
Can I say my RS is better - Absolutely - but R is so different then GTS

What AMG has done with this car is impressive. I will get one of the 1st R's this spring and will run it side by side with the RS and give my honest feedback - but I have a feeling the R will be faster most of the time based on what I know. Feel / Fun factor is a bit subjective but I'll gladly tell you my thoughts once I drive it. I think AMG engineering has something to prove.

P.S. - Wouldn't trade my RS unless they threw in an S-coupe
JP: By all means let us know. I'm am sure the AMG GT-R will go great guns on the track. My opinions are just my opinions and other's opinons are just as legit.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:12 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Either you want the driving experience and feel or you want ever faster and faster regardless of whether it takes human input out of the equation to get there.

Pick one.
AMG GT R runs a hydralic rack - so if you want steering feel you should buy the AMG GT R...
Old 12-10-2016, 09:21 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
AMG GT R runs a hydralic rack - so if you want steering feel you should buy the AMG GT R...
True- now why did Porsche go electronic??
Old 12-10-2016, 09:32 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
True- now why did Porsche go electronic??
Yep.. same question. Then you drive a mclaren and see what a steering rack SHOULD feel like
Old 12-10-2016, 09:40 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So are we implying Porsche knows hydraulic is better than electric but chose to put something second rate in? I don't get it.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:50 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
So are we implying Porsche knows hydraulic is better than electric but chose to put something second rate in? I don't get it.
Easy: Much cheaper, better fuel economy, and more reliable. Even one of those would have been enough for cheap Porsche to switch. The good news is the newest rack is reportedly (never owned a Porsche before my 2016) as good as any hydraulic unit.. and it feels that way to me.

Quick Reply: OT: AMG GT R