Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Interesting.

Thank you for your feedback
Old 10-14-2016, 12:05 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
Would be interesting to know how many owners drive without the sport button engaged. I've found heel and toeing is most effective under hard braking (ie. at a track), and not under street driving conditions. My guess is that most manual Porsches with a sport mode are essentially driven like PDK's anyways, with the added task of pressing the third pedal.
Oh heel and toe at a good driving pace on a mountain twisty road is some of the most fun one can have. Especially when you get it right! I forget everything : the phone,the radio,the views etc. I just need the steering wheel with no buttons on it and a nice rifle action stick shift,windows down so I can hear the exhaust as it bounces off the mountain walls and the tires as they're fighting for grip. There's nothing like it,it's like I'm in Heaven...my Heaven.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:32 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
its that human emotion called jealousy and you can see it at work a mile away. he didn't / can't get one. so he vents and shts on other ppl's threads to make himself feel better about it. but it doesn't work. i think there are a few of these sad sobs on here that have emerged this year and its making this forum lame.
Now I'm a sad sob? Jealous? Nope. Perfectly happy with my RS and wouldn't trade it for an R except to sell it buy another R and bank the difference. Just pointing out his "driving impressions" voiced subjective views as "fact" as to the R being more "special".

So small minded people start with the personal attacks. I didn't want an R and still don't. No interest in one. See I don't sht on other peoples threads unless there's something in there shting on what I own then call BS when I see it. If the forum is so lame help yourself out.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:43 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Dude, the title of the whole f$cking thread is 911R Driving Impressions! You're the only one in this thread interpreting his comments as if they were statements of fact. And I'm not accepting anything he said as fact, rather I'm reading those as his impressions, because I have a reasonable command of the English language and i know the difference between the word impression and fact.
Dude, you may have a reasonable command of the english language but I have a great command of it. Your level of command apparently hasn't gotten you to the point that you can decipher between a statement of fact and a statement of opinion disguised or couched as fact.

Some of what he stated would be driving impression. The part I took issue with was not driving impression but his "opinion" stated as though it were fact. I have no issue with anyone stating their opinion is X. Thats fair. But don't make a statement which is opinion as though it were fact.

Wtdoom's post also points out the OP driving impressions were a little over the top hyperbole drifting far afield from "driving impressions". GT4 are also now "puppys".

Brush up on your "command" of the english language.

Oh, and by the way I received PM's from some other RS owners agreeing with me and taking issue with the statement in question.

I call BS when I see it. Just called it.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:45 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 63 Posts

Interesting reading everyone’s comments, especially stout's - thank you.

I certainly did not intend to put RS or CGT owners on the defensive, but it seems like car passion is unnecessarily clouding civility when my comments were labelled BS by someone who hasn’t driven an R, and labelled sensationalist by someone who refers to his car as a "dragon" and has one hour of seat time in the R.

With 2k km of seat time in my R, and 2k miles of seat time in my CGT in the last 12 months, I would absolutely agree on the CGTs greatness as the ultimate analog supercar along with the F40, F50, McLaren F1 and Zonda. The CGT used to be my favorite road car until the R, but for me the CGT is a little too "old school LeMans" to attack a backroad with abandon with – lower ground clearance, stiffer suspension, dated tires (the latest PSS on mine), spiky handling, and slower turn-in. And unlike the R, the CGT will bite your head off if you get it wrong – hence the grim reaper comment. The R is my current favorite road car – the R revs almost as freely, sounds better inside, and is much more fun to attack back roads with.

And as far as the RS goes – it does feel a lot more "bolted to the road" at 250+ km/h than an R which moves around quite a bit. And the instant gearshifts make the RS sound like a GT3 race car. However, I would prefer a raw analog car on the road, and a true race car (e.g. Porsche Cup car) on the track.

So the RS doesn’t quite work for me. But, I love the CGT and I love the R.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BusDriver
Interesting reading everyone’s comments, especially stout's - thank you.

I certainly did not intend to put RS or CGT owners on the defensive, but it seems like car passion is unnecessarily clouding civility when my comments were labelled BS by someone who hasn’t driven an R, and labelled sensationalist by someone who refers to his car as a "dragon" and has one hour of seat time in the R.

With 2k km of seat time in my R, and 2k miles of seat time in my CGT in the last 12 months, I would absolutely agree on the CGTs greatness as the ultimate analog supercar along with the F40, F50, McLaren F1 and Zonda. The CGT used to be my favorite road car until the R, but for me the CGT is a little too "old school LeMans" to attack a backroad with abandon with – lower ground clearance, stiffer suspension, dated tires (the latest PSS on mine), spiky handling, and slower turn-in. And unlike the R, the CGT will bite your head off if you get it wrong – hence the grim reaper comment. The R is my current favorite road car – the R revs almost as freely, sounds better inside, and is much more fun to attack back roads with.

And as far as the RS goes – it does feel a lot more "bolted to the road" at 250+ km/h than an R which moves around quite a bit. And the instant gearshifts make the RS sound like a GT3 race car. However, I would prefer a raw analog car on the road, and a true race car (e.g. Porsche Cup car) on the track.

So the RS doesn’t quite work for me. But, I love the CGT and I love the R.
That's fair comment and driving impression. Thanks. Were good. Enjoy the R. Great car.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Dude, you may have a reasonable command of the english language but I have a great command of it.
Then I'm guessing you know the definition of the word butthurt.

Becauz youz haz it.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:05 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

BusDriver, thank you for your impressions of the R and other cars. This forum is normally quite civil, informative, and fun, and I hope you'll continue to participate in it.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:23 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

^
BusDriver, I too appreciate your thoughts on the R. My friend will be getting his in December. I can't wait to drive it.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:26 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Then I'm guessing you know the definition of the word butthurt.

Becauz youz haz it.
Dude, good come back!!! thats so mean. Ouch.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:00 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoyed your impressions BusDriver on the R and glad we're all back getting along. Remember boy's, tomorrow is never guaranteed so enjoy what we have today.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:22 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

All sounds good except the rev matching. Might as well drive an automatic at that point IMO.

It'll be interesting seeing what kind of actual acceleration numbers the R puts up vs the RS when we finally get instrumented tests.

BusDriver, congrats on securing a car. That must be an awfully nice bus you drive.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:43 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Geez us, what started out as a great post from the op has turned out like a 928 vs 944 thread.

Thanks for sharing Busdriver.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:18 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rickman_fr
Impatient to compare with my 997 gt3 RS 4.0

I also have a 991 RS and what I can say is that if the RS 991 is bluffing, the 997 RS 4.0 Gt3 is absolutely stunning and completely visceral. in terms of pleasure, I prefer the 997 GT3 Rs 4.0 even if the RS 991 is really a very efficient car
Rickman,
I drove them back to back this week. Aside from realizing how lucky I am to experience it my impression in short is this - after 100 miles I realized R is a better car than 997 4.0. After 200 I wished R had a 9974.0 engine
Other than that I second BusDriver in all he said. His impressions and feelings are spot on. Took me a while to realize why the car blips the throttle on upshifts. R is just a much better car than 991RS in everything except lap times (but not lap enjoyment).
Old 10-14-2016, 10:32 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

The new "R" is certainly a great car and in years to come will be extremely valuable

But it is a dull looking car. Give me that engine and a Manual in a GT3 and that is what I desire. No- do not want a soft clutch ect... the GT4 has the best Manual, PERIOD, for me from what I have heard about the R.

I am excited they made the "R" because it will all trickle down and up and for those 918 Owners who want a low-key beast they got what they wanted.

Quick Reply: 911R Driving Impressions