Sponsored by:

Llumar paint protection film

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 12:44 PM
Asco
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Llumar paint protection film

My UV RS is arriving in two months and I was thinking of wrapping the whole car in clear paint protection film. The installer I would prefer to use is heavily suggesting Llumar film and would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has experience with this one.

Can I get a word of advice from some of the installers here on rennlist as well, as if I understood correctly most of the PPF's are actually folded over edges and my installer is saying that it is basically impossible to do it that way due to the thickness of the film and he is saying they cut the film at the edge or just before the edge and it is impossible to see it if you don't look for it.

I would prefer a nice clean look without seeing any edges anywhere and would like the paint to be close to perfect under the film. I was also told that coatings can't be applied to the paint itself as the film will not stick properly.

Now before rocks start flying my side, I did search and did not find answers to my questions, so if there is a thread answering the questions above, please link it here.

I am located outside of US and choices are pretty limited. Any word of advice/suggestions/instructions etc are highly appreciated.

P.S. The car is going to be tracked, if this info is required.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Never heard of llumar PPF. They make window tint did not know they were making PPF
Old 09-29-2016, 01:37 AM
Asco
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Never heard of llumar PPF. They make window tint did not know they were making PPF
Same here, would appreciate if anybody had any feedback...
Old 09-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Bartron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some installers will tell you anything to sell their preferred product. I'm not sure where you are in the world but do you have access to any other high-end car guys? where do they get their work done?

To me, wrapping edges is a non-brainer. Wrapping corners is very difficult and not always done. Usually wrapping edges means more custom work (without cutouts) or stretching the cutouts - some of which already are cut to accommodate edge wrapping.

If the stuff is so thick that you can't wrap it around a corner, what will it do to the look of the paintwork on your car? PPF is a balance of protection and visibility. Ideally, anyone looking at the car shouldn't be able to tell you have film on.

Xpel is tried and true. Do you want your car to be a test case? I can see that if this is your preferred installer you may feel conflicted.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Asco
Racer

Originally Posted by Bartron
some installers will tell you anything to sell their preferred product. I'm not sure where you are in the world but do you have access to any other high-end car guys? where do they get their work done?

To me, wrapping edges is a non-brainer. Wrapping corners is very difficult and not always done. Usually wrapping edges means more custom work (without cutouts) or stretching the cutouts - some of which already are cut to accommodate edge wrapping.

If the stuff is so thick that you can't wrap it around a corner, what will it do to the look of the paintwork on your car? PPF is a balance of protection and visibility. Ideally, anyone looking at the car shouldn't be able to tell you have film on.

Xpel is tried and true. Do you want your car to be a test case? I can see that if this is your preferred installer you may feel conflicted.
90% of the car guys trust this installer, but I am pretty sure its because they don't have the info on how its done in the rest of the world..

I asked the installer about the looks and he said that it is better and clearer compred to Suntek or Xpel and does not become yellow... Go figure..

There are no other installers that have a reputation as these guys and everyone I ask, push me towards him. I guess I've been reading rennlist too much.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:43 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The strange thing about film on whole front end is it doesn't seem like a "car" anymore.

Almost like that sofa at your relatives house covered in plastic.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:04 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw
The strange thing about film on whole front end is it doesn't seem like a "car" anymore.

Almost like that sofa at your relatives house covered in plastic.
I have Xpel and you can't tell the whole front end it wrapped. People don't believe me when I tell them. So no, it's not anything like grandma's plastic wrapped sofa
Old 10-01-2016, 05:08 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you do a lot of paint correction before applying Xpel?

Quick Reply: Llumar paint protection film