Sponsored by:

GT3RS window window film tinting

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 11:07 AM
alberthyc
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT3RS window window film tinting

Hi guys, did anyone face any issues when tinting RS rear windshield?

I tinted my RS rear windshield twice. First time, it only lasted 5 months. During that 5 months, i had issues with tint bubbles. For your info, i am using Raytech tint which is considered as a high quality tint. Film applicator is also experienced and did all of my cars. When peeled off for replacement, he told me the poly windshield seems to produce some sort of oil causing the film to not be able to stick. Also, i thought it was due to the thickness of the film.

So i switch to a thinner type of window film. However, after only 1 month, small tiny bubbles start to resurface again.

So did anyone of you faced the same issues like me? Or if you tinted your RS and all so good. i will appreciate some advise from you guys. As my RS is with roll cage so tinting is a hustle for my guys and also me fearing my poly will sooner or later say good bye.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2016, 11:39 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

This sounds like an installer and film issue.... You have pics?
Old 09-28-2016, 11:59 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by alberthyc
Hi guys, did anyone face any issues when tinting RS rear windshield?

I tinted my RS rear windshield twice. First time, it only lasted 5 months. During that 5 months, i had issues with tint bubbles. For your info, i am using Raytech tint which is considered as a high quality tint. Film applicator is also experienced and did all of my cars. When peeled off for replacement, he told me the poly windshield seems to produce some sort of oil causing the film to not be able to stick. Also, i thought it was due to the thickness of the film.

So i switch to a thinner type of window film. However, after only 1 month, small tiny bubbles start to resurface again.

So did anyone of you faced the same issues like me? Or if you tinted your RS and all so good. i will appreciate some advise from you guys. As my RS is with roll cage so tinting is a hustle for my guys and also me fearing my poly will sooner or later say good bye.

Thanks
If I recall correctly, you are not in North America. As such, you probably have a Plexiglas rear window, right? I wish you had mentioned that in the thread title.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Derek RS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 20 Posts

If your rear windshield is not glass the tint won't last long...that's what I was told by another tint shop that have done a few rs
Old 09-28-2016, 12:12 PM
alberthyc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fastmd
This sounds like an installer and film issue.... You have pics?
hi, unfortunately i do not have any pics as the bubbles issue were repaired few days ago. I will post then if this problem happen again. Finger cross.

It is just those normal badly done tint bubbles. But the same film is applied to my whole car and only the rear windshield had this problem. And my rear windshield is not glass as mine share the same spec as Europe version.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:14 PM
alberthyc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alpine-al
If I recall correctly, you are not in North America. As such, you probably have a Plexiglas rear window, right? I wish you had mentioned that in the thread title.
yes i am not in North America and my rear window is Plexiglas. Sorry to not mentioned it. I thought its called poly glass.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:18 PM
alberthyc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Derek RS
If your rear windshield is not glass the tint won't last long...that's what I was told by another tint shop that have done a few rs
will you happen to know the duration they last?

I googled some RS picture online and found some RS in europe which will have the non-glass rear windshield. And i couldnt really spot any issues with their tint. Their windows are definitely tinted too.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:05 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Traditional window tint film will not work for very long on plexiglass (as you have found out). There are specific films meant for plexiglass, but I have not used them personally.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 09-28-2016, 01:15 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Never thought I'd ever appreciate having back glass; now I have one, small reason.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:30 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 860 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by alberthyc
yes i am not in North America and my rear window is Plexiglas. Sorry to not mentioned it. I thought its called poly glass.
Unfortunately, you can't tint plexiglass. The plexiglass under hot sun will twist and warp, causing the tint film to stretch and create air bubbles from all that movement.

Quick Reply: GT3RS window window film tinting