Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faults on brand new RS after 128 miles from takin delivery

Old 09-18-2016, 01:43 AM
JRCNRING
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Faults on brand new RS after 128 miles from takin delivery

Today started out to be an excellent day, I took delivery of my 2016 GT3 RS(07/2016 production date).
The car is awesome...... only to become a total disappointment 128 miles later. Incredibly frustrating that the car has issues on my first day of ownership. Definitely not expected this from Porsche.
For no reason what so ever on my drive back home the car started throwing several faults and went in to limp mode.

The codes I got are the following.

"Transm. fault Poss. No R gear Drive on poss"
"Rear-wh steering fault Adapted driving permitted"
"ABS/PSM failure Adapted driving permitted"
"Fault parking brake"

Car intermediately went into limp mode, gearbox made very jerky shifts, I imagine it has to do with limp mode.
I made it home and managed to park it safely. Looks like Reverse works and parking brake does engage. Now I have to wait, my closest dealer is 3 hours away from home. Very disappointing

Has any one around here had a similar issue. I would appreciate any feedback.

Here are some photos of my car and the faults.
Attached Images      
Old 09-18-2016, 01:59 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Is your battery low?
Old 09-18-2016, 02:01 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I would recommend you plug your car in (trickle charger) overnight and see if those faults recur in the morning.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:08 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had the same set of alerts go off with a shaking steering wheel. Gets triggered over uneven terrain.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:05 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I was with him on the way back from picking up the car. Highway driving for hour and a half, so extremely unlikely it was the battery. Happened dead straight. Tranny was shifting horribly. Car was making a metal on metal noise behind us since leaving. We thought it could be the wing, but was dead solid when checked at lunch. We thought maybe some of the cargo behind the seats, so didn't worry after that. Then BAM!, christmas tree 5 minutes after leaving.

Anyway, for those with those episodes, what happened after that? We're particularly worried about the tranny warning. Anybody else had exactly that? I was hoping to get hooked to GT3s, but I'm more scared of them now. Suggested to JRCNRING to disconnect battery, charge it, and try again tomorrow and see what happens. I read a few days ago of TWO tranny failures, but it was on an unrelated thread, and can't find them now, to follow up on that. We're aware of numerous engine failures on GT3s, but no PDK issues. And no RS engine or PDK failures that we know of. Hope it's not a new trend. Thank you folks.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:09 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

There was a recall recently on GT3 and RS cars built in a specific window. You should be able to call a dealer and get the VIN checked against that.

Who did you buy the car through?
Old 09-18-2016, 03:15 AM
Larryf
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the same thing happen with mine: lith battery was faulty, basically died on the test drive
Old 09-18-2016, 04:45 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
There was a recall recently on GT3 and RS cars built in a specific window.
Do you happen to have a link to that recall? Or at least what it's exactly for?

Originally Posted by Larryf
i had the same thing happen with mine: lith battery was faulty, basically died on the test drive
Did you have the exact same 4 faults? This car has regular battery. Didn't sound weak when starting, and after hour and a half of highway driving (3K+ rpm), it must have been fully charged. But if you had the same 4 faults (especially the tranny one), and nothing happened ever again, sounds promising. I'm sure JRCNRING will update us tomorrow.

As a side note, I was surprised by a heavy momentary moan (got to be from the intake) upon initial acceleration from a dead stop. It was pretty loud from both outside (me following), and inside. Then goes quiet, and sounds aggressive again after rpm climb (PSE ON). This car sounds similar to my Cayman GTS with the 'symposer' intake tube into the cabin, but mine only sounds loud at 4K+ rpm. Assume that behavior must be normal. By the way, this car sounds a lot nicer than a GT3, for some reason. At least to me. Can't imagine how much louder it'll get at redline. It already sounds like a race car; just incredible.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:47 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
There was a recall recently on GT3 and RS cars built in a specific window. You should be able to call a dealer and get the VIN checked against that. Who did you buy the car through?
As CJ said there is a campaign going on. My car was flagged although no issues. 1(800) PORSCHE then option 3. Have your VIN since the car is not assigned to your name from the sound of it.

The campaign is for a new PDK tranny on '16 GT3. I'm not sure if GT3 RS are involved. All the info I have- dealer has the transmission just waiting until they can fix my car in a couple days.

Best wishes-
Old 09-18-2016, 06:56 AM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Series of different fault messages are usually battery related.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:18 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Regardless it under warranty. Have it shipped back to the dealer for a full diagnostic.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:38 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCNRING
Today started out to be an excellent day, I took delivery of my 2016 GT3 RS(07/2016 production date).
The car is awesome...... only to become a total disappointment 128 miles later. Incredibly frustrating that the car has issues on my first day of ownership. Definitely not expected this from Porsche.
For no reason what so ever on my drive back home the car started throwing several faults and went in to limp mode.

The codes I got are the following.

"Transm. fault Poss. No R gear Drive on poss"
"Rear-wh steering fault Adapted driving permitted"
"ABS/PSM failure Adapted driving permitted"
"Fault parking brake"

Car intermediately went into limp mode, gearbox made very jerky shifts, I imagine it has to do with limp mode.
I made it home and managed to park it safely. Looks like Reverse works and parking brake does engage. Now I have to wait, my closest dealer is 3 hours away from home. Very disappointing

Has any one around here had a similar issue. I would appreciate any feedback.

Here are some photos of my car and the faults.
Hi
I had this exact same problem( all the exact same faults in the display) on track day at around 5k miles, turned out it was the LH side rear ABS wire loom that had come lose...took 15 Mins at OPC to fix, never happened again. If you need any help PM and I will pass on the tech details at my OPC.

Good Luck....

Old 09-18-2016, 10:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,478 Likes on 2,268 Posts

^ the power of Rennlist!
Old 09-18-2016, 11:41 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there somewhere to check for all updates/recalls on our cars ?
Old 09-18-2016, 11:54 AM
GT3 Jockey
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I just saw an RS blow an engine on the track. So much about German reliability

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Faults on brand new RS after 128 miles from takin delivery