RS headlamp question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:52 AM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RS headlamp question

Hi Guys ,
When I was offered my allocation a couple weeks ago I pretty much knew how I was going to spec it ( only had a year and half to think about it ! ) , but I have one question that I am second guessing myself about . I wanted a very low option build so I deleted the stereo , no lift , no chrono , steel brakes , etc . I chose to add nothing related to the headlights so there is no cornering feature . The car will be driven rarely at night so the basic xenons will be fine I'm sure . Is this a major mistake ? I've already heard from the sales manager that you need the lift , ceramics etc for resale , but I don't really care . I figure if the day comes that I did want to sell the car somebody who thinks like me is out there . This isn't a cost consideration either ; to me these cars should be as simple as possible and the idea of the servos for the cornering lights bugs me - I have no problem with them in a daily driver . The first build sheet ( less the one from Exclusive ) has already come back so things are coming together quickly so I figure if I'm going to make any changes and not make a PITA of myself I should do it now .
Thanks for the input ,
Bryan
Old 08-27-2016, 12:37 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

There was a thread recently discussing this, most seem to be more than happy with base lights, maybe add the PDLS option if you want swivel or black if it matches your car. I opted for LEDs and in retrospect I wish I hadn't, mostly just a waste of money as I don't drive it often at night either, and in the US at least LED light output is limited by law.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Base lights are fine in the dark, even on track
Old 08-27-2016, 12:46 PM
Four Liter
Pro

^ Thanks guys - that's what I was hoping to hear .
Old 08-27-2016, 01:04 PM
SC62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were going to build a stripped car, I would add the Bi-Xenons in Black, the lift, floor mats and the smoker's pack.

PDLS is nice but if you are going to spend the money, black headlamps look great and are just a bit more. I had them on my GT3 and have them on my RS.

The lift is a life saver. You can get by without it but it is a lot more work to ensure you don't scrape the front.

The other two are no cost options and are nice to have. The smokers pack makes the center console look much cleaner.

Enjoy the process. You are going to love the car...
Attached Images    
Old 08-27-2016, 03:36 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Originally Posted by SC62
If I were going to build a stripped car, I would add the Bi-Xenons in Black, the lift, floor mats and the smoker's pack.

PDLS is nice but if you are going to spend the money, black headlamps look great and are just a bit more. I had them on my GT3 and have them on my RS.

The lift is a life saver. You can get by without it but it is a lot more work to ensure you don't scrape the front.

The other two are no cost options and are nice to have. The smokers pack makes the center console look much cleaner.

Enjoy the process. You are going to love the car...
Yes - I did take both the mats and smoking package . Going to take my chances leaving the lift off .
Old 08-27-2016, 04:03 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 957 Likes on 428 Posts

I went without the lift on my RS build. My GT3 has the lift option, after nearly a year I have never used it. I'm building my RS for me, not the next person. Screw that guy!
Old 08-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Originally Posted by disden
I went without the lift on my RS build. My GT3 has the lift option, after nearly a year I have never used it. I'm building my RS for me, not the next person. Screw that guy!
Bravo ! I view it as one more thing to break .
Old 08-27-2016, 04:34 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, get what you want, after all you're paying for it. Enjoy the build.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:40 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I highly recommend test driving a car equipped with LED light at night before you make your final decision. Try the high beam as well. My BMW motercycle LED light cost $1700 so $3400 for a $200K car is ehhhh.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:35 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

The LEDs are for blasting everyone out of the way with the 4 marker lights
Old 08-27-2016, 06:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^ Good point, works in Europe where people actually move over, instead of the blissful oblivious here...
Old 08-27-2016, 08:02 PM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure the stand lights are awesome but I ordered the black LED's anyway. I waited nearly 2 years for an allocation and will not leave anything behind. I checked all the boxes and then some.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:00 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

The only options I considered necessary on my RS were the Extended Range Fuel Tank, Fire Extinguisher, Mats, Smokers package and the Sound package plus. Since I intended tracking it, I found the PCCB $25,000 Rotor replacements too intimidating and never missed not having a Front Lift on my GT3 in the 17,000+ Miles I drove it.
My E63S has LED lights as standard, and in the U.S. I can't see any difference over the standard Halogens.
I second the advice above in speccing the car for YOUR use and not some future hypothetical buyer.
Congrats on getting the allocation. Needless to say, you will LOVE the car, even lightly optioned.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:09 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 957 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
The only options I considered necessary on my RS were the Extended Range Fuel Tank, Fire Extinguisher and the Sound package plus. Since I intended tracking it, I found the PCCB $25,000 Rotor replacements too intimidating and never missed not having a Front Lift on my GT3 in the 17,000+ Miles I drove it. My E63S has LED lights as standard, and in the U.S. I can't see any difference over the standard Halogens. I second the advice above in speccing the car for YOUR use and not some future hypothetical buyer. Congrats on getting the allocation. Needless to say, you will LOVE the car, even lightly optioned.
Agree on the PCCBs. Spec the replacement price out on suncoast-yikes. I also plan to track on occasion, and since I totally suck there is no way my amateur skills would ever feel the difference. So, instead Of PCCBs I added extra stitching and leather everywhere so that my wife feels more special in the car on date nights, and if I'm lucky perhaps more frisky at end of night.

Quick Reply: RS headlamp question