Sponsored by:

Finally got to drive the RS...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 10:50 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 516 Posts
Default Finally got to drive the RS...

A small group of us went out yesterday to Bear Mountain for a morning drive. Raclaims had his new Mexico Blue RS (stunning), I took the Spyder and another who joined us had a 997.1 RS. I had the opportunity to get a little seat time in the 991 RS both on some twisty mountain roads and for the highway drive back to our meeting point.

I started the day in my Spyder. Setting out on the highway the Spyder was able to stay with the RSs while accelerating to high (but, of course, legal ) speeds. Once on the twisty mountain roads the Spyder performed impeccably. Never did I feel I needed more power to stay with the other cars. The transmission performed flawlessly and the exhaust note kept me more than entertained. It was a blast to be able to finally get the car into the element it was designed for.

We switched up cars and I got to drive the 991 RS for about an hour. First was through the twisty mountain roads. I immediately noticed how compliant the ride was. Don't believe for a minute that the car can't be driven every day. Not as I understand that maybe the attention could get tiresome (although, truth be told, the green 997.1 RS got far more attention). The seats, once in the car, are extremely comfortable. Getting in and out is difficult, but not as difficult as reading on RL might make you think. Getting out of the car is harder than getting in, primarily because you need to fight your natural instinct to use the steering wheel to get leverage.
The PDK-S is incredible. While in sport mode I tried it in full automatic mode, with the paddles and shifting with the stick. I had no issues with the paddle placement, but I could see how trying to shift with the wheel turned could be an issue. Extensions would probably be a worthwhile investment for aggressive driving. Automatic mode was surprisingly capable.

The car doesn't feel fast on the roads. Don't get me wrong - it is fast. It just builds speed so linearly and feels so stable that you don't get the feeling that you're travelling at the (legal ) speeds you are. You can definitely feel the aero at high speeds. This, of course, must have been an anomaly because everyone says you would never notice the aero driving on the streets. When people say that you can't get close to the limits of the car on the street, believe them. With the Spyder I could get it to drift slightly around a tight curve and then easily bring it back in line. With the RS it almost seems like the car is glued to the road.

The sound - this is where I was a little surprised. The exhaust on the Spyder is much louder. The RS has more mechanical noise going on on. It also smells different. I have no idea why or what it is, but it doesn't smell like any other car I've driven. Could be the PDK-S, but something so trivial actually stood out to me as part of the experience.

I really wanted Raclaims to drive the Spyder on the mountain. I think he would have had a blast. I actually think it more fun on those roads, but there's no doubt the RS is far more capable. I now understand why a few RL members have both the Spyder and the RS. They perfectly complement each other and, in my opinion, is the perfect combination to own.
The following users liked this post:
jimdillard (12-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2016, 11:58 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Some pics
I'll write more later

Photo cred to @topgearnj<br/>

Old 06-13-2016, 12:02 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Great pics! I'm glad you guys had an enjoyable drive. All very nice cars.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:15 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

That green looks good, but that blue is HOT!
Old 06-13-2016, 12:17 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

So I got to drive that 997.1 RS for the first time and it's all I can think about!

It quickly reminds you how much nicer a place to live the new RS is vs the 997.

It's freakin' ancient feeling...BUT...wow...it's a hyper active, intensity machine. From the get go it's like a bull ready to buck...the 991 is much more of a gentleman until you push it to the point of anger.

The clutch on the 997 is reminiscent of my old 996 cup car...it's VERY heavy. I did get used to it but my hip and knee hurt by the end of the day and so did my back.

So, long story short...the 997.1 is soooooooooooooooo much fun. However, it's a car that would collect a lot of dust waiting for opportunities to be driven vs the 991 that I literally drive every single day right now.

But I have to admit, I can't stop thinking about the 997!

Now I need to drive a 997 RS 4.0...perhaps the perfect blend of the two??
Old 06-13-2016, 12:36 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like you all had a great time. Do it every week if you can. We do that every Sunday. raclaims Press enter and add two more spaces under your signature and add the .1RS and 4.0 and be done with it.

Cheers.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:48 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

hahahahah...yeah silverrules...you know me well don't you?!! hahahaha
Old 06-13-2016, 02:32 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
So I got to drive that 997.1 RS for the first time and it's all I can think about!

It quickly reminds you how much nicer a place to live the new RS is vs the 997.

It's freakin' ancient feeling...BUT...wow...it's a hyper active, intensity machine. From the get go it's like a bull ready to buck...the 991 is much more of a gentleman until you push it to the point of anger.

The clutch on the 997 is reminiscent of my old 996 cup car...it's VERY heavy. I did get used to it but my hip and knee hurt by the end of the day and so did my back.

So, long story short...the 997.1 is soooooooooooooooo much fun. However, it's a car that would collect a lot of dust waiting for opportunities to be driven vs the 991 that I literally drive every single day right now.

But I have to admit, I can't stop thinking about the 997!

Now I need to drive a 997 RS 4.0...perhaps the perfect blend of the two??
7.1rs and 4.0 are related for sure but still very different cars. I have both and once upon a time had a 7.1rs with a 4.0 clutch. Not only was it one of my fav all time driving experiences, a 4.0 clutch is so much lighter and so much easier to engage/drive. It made my 7.1rs feel considerably more modern (which can be a plus or a minus but sounds like a plus for your hip and back).
Old 06-13-2016, 03:04 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Jrtaylor9 can you move to NJ so I can drive them???? LOL
Old 06-13-2016, 03:08 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
Jrtaylor9 can you move to NJ so I can drive them???? LOL
Well, I am moving to nyc later this summer but think a few of the cars are staying behind in Houston. I need to look up AC for storage outside the city.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:22 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Bring em!!
Old 06-13-2016, 08:08 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those are definitely three of the best. So Doc, does this now mean you're still planning on getting the 991.2 RS? Thanks for the write up.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:27 PM
s14roller
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, so here I am looking at 991 GT3/GT3RS and what do I find? These clowns.

Nice meeting you, G.

J, next time I'm not giving it back!
Old 06-13-2016, 10:30 PM
s14roller
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful!
Attached Images  

Last edited by s14roller; 06-14-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:06 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Those are definitely three of the best. So Doc, does this now mean you're still planning on getting the 991.2 RS? Thanks for the write up.
Definitely still planning on the .2. Also planning on getting a lift, because I think the combination of the Spyder and RS will leave me wanting little more on the sports car front.

After seeing Mexico Blue in person I'm really torn about color choice. My dealer is confident that because I have his first allocation I will be able to order while the PTS window is open. My original choice was gelbgrun. Then I was pretty set on Nogaro blue. Now I'm thinking Mexico. Looking forward to seeing what the final color will be.

Quick Reply: Finally got to drive the RS...