Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911R's rear diffuser

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 06:30 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I don't understand how this vestigial diffuser has any meaningful effect at all on creating downforce. To do so it would need to accelerate air underneath and create a Venturi effect, this requires height and actual tunnels/channels... with a high exit at the end which can't exist on a rear engines car.. (unlike with a midengine car where the rear is unencumbered). These are little more than small appendages, with little depth to create channels and no height. Seems so much like a marketing gimmick to me... not much different from a zero angle of attack flat spoiler on the back of modified Japanese hatchbacks
Old 10-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by UAEGT3
installation looks easy. clearance is not an issue. But would like to know if it will lead to any imbalance on a GT3.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...01.html#agal_8

look at above link and pic. The new GT3RS or GT2RS God knows what it is seems to have a similar diffuser as the 911R

thanks
That's GT2RS, which is coming next summer, which they got correct, the only part of the article that's correct.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:38 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I don't understand how this vestigial diffuser has any meaningful effect at all on creating downforce. To do so it would need to accelerate air underneath and create a Venturi effect, this requires height and actual tunnels/channels... with a high exit at the end which can't exist on a rear engines car.. (unlike with a midengine car where the rear is unencumbered). These are little more than small appendages, with little depth to create channels and no height. Seems so much like a marketing gimmick to me... not much different from a zero angle of attack flat spoiler on the back of modified Japanese hatchbacks
Agreed, unfortunately. When looking at the WEC cars running rear diffusers, they all are 4-5 inches tall (fins). And keeping the car close to the ground is part of the effectiveness. Now, that doesn't mean they haven't made a small effective diffuser, maybe the minimum amount needed to avoid excess lift, rather than create a true downforce addition (over the movable 991 spoiler).
Old 10-12-2016, 01:40 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a pic of the BMW M6 entry from Lone Star LeMans this year.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:17 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

I can tell you from my 2 days of driving the R press car on the autobahn that the R has almost non-existence downforce at 270km/h+. It's a little unstable 300km/h. Not sure what the diffuser does, but I can't feel it working.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:17 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
I can tell you from my 2 days of driving the R press car on the autobahn that the R has almost non-existence downforce at 270km/h+. It's a little unstable 300km/h. Not sure what the diffuser does, but I can't feel it working.
Looks cool, sounds cool. It's called marketing at it's finest.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:01 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Looks cool, sounds cool. It's called marketing at it's finest.
Yup, just like building a numbered parts bin car which makes it uber exclusive and expensive.
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (10-08-2021)
Old 10-13-2016, 07:10 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Yup, just like building a numbered parts bin car which makes it uber exclusive and expensive.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:38 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

The answer might be to build a carbon fiber undertray with removable fins that can be had in different sizes.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:58 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Diffuser...
Come on people! Buy and modify! That should be actually 4000EUR option from the factory. Porsche missed that one

I am looking forward for track reviews!

I could think of some vendors already offering this in carbon, slightly improved over the factory and except giving tons of downforce actually giving also thrust!
Old 10-22-2016, 06:40 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

the diffuser starts lower and gradually goes upwards. This creates down force just like the shape of the top of a 911 creates lift. Is also starts narrow and directs air into a wider area, this also creates downforce. Not sure what the confusion is, this is pretty much aero 101 basics.

1. Just because it is a rear engine car doesn't mean from the low point (oil pan) to the high point (near back of headers/exhaust) it doesn't slop up. It's does, look closely

2. Just because you "can't feel it" doesn't mean it doesn't create downforce. Did you drive the exact same car without it? this is like when patients tell me the pain medication isn't working but they have 5/10 pain. Well, go without the meds and then tell me, because it may end up 10/10 pain.

3. Just because the car might feel "unstable" at high speeds doesn't mean it isn't working. It might be more unstable without it. What is your reference point, a GT3 RS? It isn't going to produce the same downforce as a huge wing and Porsche doesn't claim that it does.

Why is there so much skepticism, it isn't like Porsche is making this out of Asian carbon fiber and charging $10k for it.
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (10-08-2021)
Old 10-22-2016, 07:04 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Would bigger fins be better or will that only be known by extensive testing?
Old 10-22-2016, 07:10 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Would bigger fins be better or will that only be known by extensive testing?
larger fins could add a bit more, but you don't want them larger to the point where it extends lower than the fins at the front or beginning of the diffuser as this adds no benefit and may only create clearance issues
Old 10-22-2016, 07:11 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH

Why is there so much skepticism, it isn't like Porsche is making this out of Asian carbon fiber and charging $10k for it.

the material and the cost are irrelevant... to how much downforce is created. hardly worth addressing..

Pain is visceral, subjective, impossible to be measured objectively unless you think you can measure a VAS score to gauge pain across multiple subjects. (and we both know the answer to that one). Downforce is objectively and precisely measured.. your analogy is broken at the start line.

The issue is that the when form factor is not functional, then there this just an appendage which doesn't work for it's intended job.

since you understand aerodynamics 101.. check out how large the difference between the low point and highpoint of a diffuser has to be on a racecar to create any meaningful downforce.. and also how low the fins have to be to the ground to maintain the vacuum. maybe real world function isn't taught in 101 class.. that's just theory.

Last edited by CAlexio; 10-22-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:04 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

the material and the cost are irrelevant... to how much downforce is created. hardly worth addressing..

Pain is visceral, subjective, impossible to be measured objectively unless you think you can measure a VAS score to gauge pain across multiple subjects. (and we both know the answer to that one). Downforce is objectively and precisely measured.. your analogy is broken at the start line.

The issue is that the when form factor is not functional, then there this just an appendage which doesn't work for it's intended job.

since you understand aerodynamics 101.. check out how large the difference between the low point and highpoint of a diffuser has to be on a racecar to create any meaningful downforce.. and also how low the fins have to be to the ground to maintain the vacuum. maybe real world function isn't taught in 101 class.. that's just theory.
100% correct regarding pain. Similar to how one could "feel" like there is no downforce with this diffuser. I agree, it is science, it can and calculated, Porsche knows exactly what it is. I highly doubt there is "no downforce" with the diffuser. Continuing on with the topic and science, even if a driver were convinced it produces "no downforce" wouldn't he have to drive the exact car without the diffuser to make that claim (I think in Jr High we would say that the diffuser is the "Variable"). While I highly doubt it produces massive downforce, I bet it produces something. Similar to the diffuser on the werks1 diffuser for the 997. It has been proven to produce actual downforce but probably nothing like a massive wing.

Carry on

Quick Reply: 911R's rear diffuser