On my '03 (Supercup Champ!):

Sweet ride Doc!
Old 05-25-2016, 08:09 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Sweet ride Doc!
Thanks! I'm not sure if you noticed how excited I was that Frank Stippler was one of the instructors at the Nordschleife Scuderia S7 event we were at together in September. He won the Porsche Supercup in '03 in this car, so it was fun to meet him and talk with him about the car at that event.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:03 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
If you happen to have a Trailex with a tire rack, I've found I need to use the chassis tie down method on the front to prevent the hood from hitting the rack on extreme bumps.
Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Ouch! Not a nice lesson to learn. Sorry about that.
It's a great point ... I've had a couple minor events when hauling tires, tool cases, etc. I use an enclosed trailer, but it doesn't matter. You load the extra stuff static, but the travel to and from is dynamic. Things can happen - so do your best to account for them. Buffer space is your friend.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:30 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting thread, thanks all. I have been considering an enclosed trailer. I assume - and hope - 20' X 8.5' with a V-front is long enough. It's very useful to benefit from the experience of others.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:53 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I cannot in good conscience recommend a 20'. Go 24'. 24' is the sweet spot for bumper pull trailers. Even if you think it's overkill... do it for the potential resale value down the road. And... I'll bet money that sooner than later you'll be buying an even larger trailer! I sure wish I did.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:55 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Those who trailer your GT3/RS...

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I cannot in good conscience recommend a 20'. Go 24'. Even if you think it's overkill... do it for the potential resale value down the road. And... I'll bet money that sooner than later you'll be buying an even larger trailer! I sure wish I did.
This.

Banango you should take a look at my trailer sometime this summer
Old 05-26-2016, 10:59 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

One track day and next thing you know your shopping for a 3/4 ton diesel truck and 26'+ enclosed trailer w/ac, winch and genny, it happens.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:00 PM
MMbtu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
On my '03 (Supercup Champ!):

Brings back good memories. Some of the best of my life ruining a late 996 cup in amateur races. Ex world challenge car that made me look like a much better driver than I was.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:11 AM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlanka
This.

Banango you should take a look at my trailer sometime this summer
We shall do that, thanks. More than happy to take advice on a tow vehicle too.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i am on trailer #8. each bigger than prevoius.
getting < 24' is major mistake. i bought a brand new top line 20', one tow, sold it at loss.
24' one year sold at lost
u dont want to k now how big i have now.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:48 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i am on trailer #8. each bigger than prevoius.
getting < 24' is major mistake. i bought a brand new top line 20', one tow, sold it at loss.
24' one year sold at lost
u dont want to k now how big i have now.
+1

I went straight to a 30' enclosed and after 3 years it is not big enough. I just moved from a 3/4 ton to a 1 ton dually, prepping for a trailer upgrade at some point.

Ryan
Old 05-27-2016, 01:22 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by reidry
+1

I went straight to a 30' enclosed and after 3 years it is not big enough. I just moved from a 3/4 ton to a 1 ton dually, prepping for a trailer upgrade at some point.

Ryan
Ryan: brand and model? Diesel? I am guessing 4x2 not 4x4?
Old 05-27-2016, 03:48 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

So for the 991 GT3, 24 footer should be fine (IMHO). AFA tow vehicle, I'm looking for a diesel 2500 Pickup (Dodge/Ford/Chevy) 4x4. Dualie is not necessary for that combo. General consensus seems to be Dodge is the best one engine-wise due to the Cummins.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:27 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Thanks Jeff. I'll start looking at what's around. We haven't actually started haunting any dealerships yet so all guidance is really useful.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:32 PM
S.White
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Another take...

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for but here's my experience: I've been running a 18' Kwik-Load open trailer with fairing and E-Track under each corner of the loaded vehicle. The Kwik-Load is a roll-back type trailer with steel frame and aluminum deck. I also use RaceRamps 5" trailer ramps to help with the approach angle further. The nice thing about the roll back is there is no "break-over angle". The bad thing is, once you drive the car onto the trailer, you have to get out while it's on an incline... That's coming from a flat lander, though... Streets in SF can be much steeper. It's strapped down with Mac's over-the-tire straps with idler pulley and tire blocks. Super easy to use and lots of clearance for really low vehicles. I haven't seen hardly anyone else using them but I highly recommend them.

I tried the tie down brackets at the jack points and found I couldn't easily get to them and there was interference between the ratchets, the trailer deck, and the car.

Tow vehicle is a 2012 Sequoia with a 4" drop hitch. I'm able to keep up with Texas highway traffic without huffing and puffing. It stops close to as quickly as without a load. (the Sequoia has IMO terrible brakes from the factory and I am running Hawk HD pads and slotted stoptech rotors to help with that. Though they squeal. Bad.) I load my car nose first and don't have any issue with swaying due to light tongue weight.

The trailer has a winch but I've never used it for a car that moves under it's own power. It also has removable fenders which I've never needed to use because the door of the GT3 ends up being "behind" the fender when the trailer is in the loading position. (No tire rack offered and I don't currently need one. I'll need one in about 4 months and will have one built at that time)

A larger trailer and tow vehicle would be nice but isn't necessary for me. I can fit everything I need in the back of the Sequoia including folding table, chairs, air tank, compressor, tools, jack and stands, cooler, canopy, ramps, luggage, etc. That still leaves the middle row open for the dog too.

If I were to do it again, I'd likely do it exactly the same. Although, an all aluminum enclosed 28' trailer with A/C, generator, pit cart, and Denali 2500 would be nice.... I personally can't justify it for a casual DE rig. Yet.

Regarding tow vehicles, I can't speak very highly of Ford diesels as we've had some serious quality and reliability issues with our fleet trucks over the past few years. It's too bad because they have great power and the most comfortable seats for long hauls IMO. YMMV

Quick Reply: Those who trailer your GT3/RS...