Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Panels Aluminum or Steel?

Old 04-15-2016, 06:50 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Door Panels Aluminum or Steel?

I have a few HPDE events coming up and want to order new magnetic numbers for the doors. I am at work and don't have my GT3 with me so I can't take a magnet to test. Are the door skins aluminum or steel?

Thanks for your insight!

Adam
Old 04-15-2016, 06:58 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by alevine
I have a few HPDE events coming up and want to order new magnetic numbers for the doors. I am at work and don't have my GT3 with me so I can't take a magnet to test. Are the door skins aluminum or steel?

Thanks for your insight!

Adam
Door are aluminium. I use stick on vinyl numbers, and end up never removing them between track days.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:01 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

rear window pillars and rear quarter panels are steel in 991 body including 991 GT3, basically everything else in aluminum.

I stick my magnetic numbers to the rear pillars
Old 04-16-2016, 03:07 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

My magnetic numbers go on the steel rear quarter panels, just behind the doors which, as has been mentioned, are aluminum.
The following users liked this post:
Jesseb (11-05-2022)
Old 04-16-2016, 05:19 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

My Numbers are stenciled onto a 5X7 inch Index card using a black Magic Marker and taped to the inside
of the small rear Side Window with 3 M Blue Masking Tape for HPDE Events. I remove them for reuse after
each Event. IMHO, I've found Displayed numbers are seen as a challenge by many would-be Road Warriors and create more interest in my driving than I want when passing the Boys in Blue. Cost per event is about a Penny. I carry extra Index Cards, a Stencil and a Magic Marker so I can make new numbers in a few minutes if I am assigned a different number. Works Great, Put on and taken off in minutes and costs almost nothing.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:23 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

When people ask me at my vinyl business, twojokersgraphics.com, I usually dissuade from magnets just because of the risk to the paint. If not taken care of properly, they will fly off, too. Given the cost of the events when you factor everything in, I usually recommend the rounding-error cost of simply putting new white vinyl numbers on the rear quarter window every weekend. ~$10 or so per event, look nice, won't fly off, won't hurt paint, etc.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
When people ask me at my vinyl business, twojokersgraphics.com, I usually dissuade from magnets just because of the risk to the paint. If not taken care of properly, they will fly off, too. Given the cost of the events when you factor everything in, I usually recommend the rounding-error cost of simply putting new white vinyl numbers on the rear quarter window every weekend. ~$10 or so per event, look nice, won't fly off, won't hurt paint, etc.
Not a problem for autocross but at track speeds I'd probably consider something besides magnetic too.....
Old 04-18-2016, 07:51 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Great info guys. Thanks for your feedback and insight. No magnetic numbers for me. I will opt for the vinyl ones!
Old 04-19-2016, 05:04 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Not a problem for autocross but at track speeds I'd probably consider something besides magnetic too.....
That was my issue. At track speeds the magnetic numbers come off the rear quarters. Not a problem on steel doors of my 997. Airflow is different in back of 991 body.

Had problem with residual too from stick-on numbers. Now I just use painters tape. Two strips make a nice easy to remove #11.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Panels Aluminum or Steel?