Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:11 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Boy, it would certainly be nice to know how many engines PAG has had to deal with so far? What does it take to justify a total recall, anyone?
I don't have any real evidence, Bronson, but I would think that if Porsche thinks replacing the top end fixes it, then maybe the major changes from E/F to G are primarily to the top end itself. If that is the case (not saying it is), Porsche might just plan on doing the top end and then wait and see if it caused damage to the cylinders when they tear it down. If so, new engine.

If this really is a top end issue, it would be nice if they just issued a recall and did it while the engine isn't fubar. But they are Porsche, and who am I to argue?
Old 04-04-2016, 12:30 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Reading all these posts is upsetting. Think about it, owners of 14 went through the engine recall and some of our cars sat at the port for 6 months and now this. The right thing to do is buyback or replace engine to G with compensation. We might need another action group. Just something to think about.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:34 AM
silverrules
Drifting

or lemon law.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:34 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Yeah be nice to have a whole new engine to replace under warranty but if it's rebuildable that's really a good thing especially when the time warranty runs out- I like to know its rebuildable vs a whole new motor when warranty runs out. Mike
True, rebuildable is a nice option. However, PAG did not rebuild the above engine. They put on a couple of bandaids and added a dab of Neosporin.

Sad to say the customer doesn't know if this is a batch problem or is it endemic in the design.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:59 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Reading all these posts is upsetting. Think about it, owners of 14 went through the engine recall and some of our cars sat at the port for 6 months and now this. The right thing to do is buyback or replace engine to G with compensation. We might need another action group. Just something to think about.
Agree 100 percent
Old 04-04-2016, 01:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike. Thats an interesting question. I dont know the answer but I would suggest that the new head on the RS & G engines has redesigned oil passages which improve the oiling on the furthermost cylinders (3&6). Id also suggest there has been a change to finger rockers. I have heard but cannot substantiate there has been a change to the springs and the rings on the G engine also (my G engine is definitely using far less oil and after 6800km is yet to smoke on start up which would suggest redesigned rings). We know the G engine has a redesigned oil filer, larger filter neck and an upgraded oil pump but these may be more related to duty cycles (i.e. less duress on the components at higher nominal mid range oil pressure). The interesting thing would be to know if an E engine having a replacement G head also receives a new ECU program that increases the mid rpm oil pressure. My laymans logic would suspect with a redesigned oil passage in the head an increase in pressure may be required.

All of this is speculation. I think I would happily run my car with a redesigned head but I would rather a new engine if that was a possibility. Whatever "fixes" they applied to the F engine, Im a firm believer they did not address the root cause of the issue (oiling) so I would not be surprised by the end of summer to start having more of these appear on the database...
Old 04-04-2016, 01:41 AM
ablee2323
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Distressed.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:08 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Mike. Thats an interesting question. I dont know the answer but I would suggest that the new head on the RS & G engines has redesigned oil passages which improve the oiling on the furthermost cylinders (3&6). Id also suggest there has been a change to finger rockers. I have heard but cannot substantiate there has been a change to the springs and the rings on the G engine also (my G engine is definitely using far less oil and after 6800km is yet to smoke on start up which would suggest redesigned rings). We know the G engine has a redesigned oil filer, larger filter neck and an upgraded oil pump but these may be more related to duty cycles (i.e. less duress on the components at higher nominal mid range oil pressure). The interesting thing would be to know if an E engine having a replacement G head also receives a new ECU program that increases the mid rpm oil pressure. My laymans logic would suspect with a redesigned oil passage in the head an increase in pressure may be required.

All of this is speculation. I think I would happily run my car with a redesigned head but I would rather a new engine if that was a possibility. Whatever "fixes" they applied to the F engine, Im a firm believer they did not address the root cause of the issue (oiling) so I would not be surprised by the end of summer to start having more of these appear on the database...
Mark, thanks for your insight. I want to believe that Porsche is on top of this and making replacement decisions based on good engineering analysis and not financial considerations. But it's frustrating to be in the dark about so many aspects of this issue and unfortunately no one who is really in the know at PAG or PCNA is talking to us about it.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:50 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca View Post
Great to hear you got the outcome you were looking for!

Out of 20 recorded examples there are no G engine failures, although its early days. In two weeks time I'll have 6 track days plus over 4000 fast road miles on the new G engine. So far very good.

4000 rpm in 5th gear under load registers 58/59 psi for those asking....

Post by fxz
Hi Macca and All

my F engine mid range oil pressure
without any service at porsche since Jan2015 delivery

looks higher than G engine you mention above

for reference my 2015 M.Y. F0 engine
5th gear manual mode , oil water temp 90 C (194 F)

at 4k rpm is 63 psi (4.4 bar)
at 3k rpm is 53 psi (3.7 bar)
at 2k rpm is 43 psi (3.0 bar)
Old 04-04-2016, 10:58 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Macca, don't know if you have this info in all your data you have collected so far, but my question is this. Of the engines that have been replaced, were any of these fitted with after market exhaust or any other additional add-ons? To the RL's out there who have had issue's with their engines, did you have any after market products added or removed? If so, has the dealership said anything?
Old 04-04-2016, 11:02 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Macca, don't know if you have this info in all your data you have collected so far, but my question is this. Of the engines that have been replaced, were any of these fitted with after market exhaust or any other additional add-ons? To the RL's out there who have had issue's with their engines, did you have any after market products added or removed? If so, has the dealership said anything?
Good question, Bronson.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:12 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Is there a statistic of the effected engines that are using stickier tires vs oem? As someone mentioned that owners who only street drive will probably not have an issue or will be delayed. Just wondering how affective the dry sump system and it's plumbing etc on the 991 gt3. The Z06 has a dry sump but it has issues on the track. Mike
Old 04-04-2016, 01:02 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Mine has sherkworks exhaust and dealer said nothing about it besides the fact that it sounds really good....
Old 04-04-2016, 01:44 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Kamal, this action group you are referring to was before my time of interest in this car. What exactly did you owners do and do you think it carried any weight?
Old 04-04-2016, 04:11 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Hey Bronson, Action group made a huge difference. I am sure there is a long thread out there about it. Macca and one other RL memebr from UK lead the action group. I wonder if they will make a use of the data being collected to help the E engine owners. Need to be pro active and get something started.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?