Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 10:02 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^Mark
awesome for you as well timeline , Macca will chime in on your new G #erd motor my bet

also great that it was you reviving this thread with good news ,it's been thankfully quite and was three pages back

standing by for any impressions worthy of post
Old 10-22-2016, 10:09 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Here is a picture of the engine #
Nice!

Maybe bring it up on the 5th to get some break in miles on her!

I think 60xxx is DLC coated everything!
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 10-22-2016, 10:15 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
^Mark
awesome for you as well timeline , Macca will chime in on your new G #erd motor my bet

also great that it was you reviving this thread with good news ,it's been thankfully quite and was three pages back

standing by for any impressions worthy of post
Thank you. Engine actually arrrived 2 weeks ago but my favorite Porsche technician was on vacation so opted for him to come back and work on my car rather than have someone else work on it.

It took about 10 days from me dropping the car off to Sunset to receiving the new engine. Had I not opted to wait I would have had my car back in about 2 weeks time from time I dropped it off. Really impressive turn around. Will keep u posted with my impressions. Mark
Old 10-22-2016, 10:15 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Nice!

Maybe bring it up on the 5th to get some break in miles on her!

I think 60xxx is DLC coated everything!
Sounds like a plan. Looking forward to meet you in person. Mark
Old 10-22-2016, 10:51 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Great news on the new G engine!
Old 10-22-2016, 11:10 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Great news on the quick turnaround on the new engine, Mark!
Old 10-23-2016, 02:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well done Mark on the new engine! Sounds like you have been treated well with quick turn around etc.

Well the "G6" is a new designation but I assume just a G iteration given to the latest replacement engines out of stores. We have now got somewhat ahead of the latest online PET on these numbers now - if you had the replacement engine crate part number we can probably look a bit deeper etc.

Rest assured it will have the DLC cams etc so should last a very long time for you I should think.

We had a fifth engine show the "missfire" codes here in NZ. I believe that's 5 out of 30 now. So far all early E series cars. I should think those % pretty much reflect the global situation.

Enjoy stacking the miles up on it and dont baby it during break in ;-)
Old 10-23-2016, 08:15 AM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
MY15, F engine, 17500 km, some track usage (1500-2000 km on track, AFAIK).

Update: Coils swapped, still misfire in the same cylinder. Rebuild or new engine, up to PAG. One more car is officially "in the club".
Update 2: No new engine for that car. It's being rebuilt with new top-end under warranty.

Next summer will be a real doomsday IMO, with A LOT of 991 GT3s joining the bad apple list and probably RS cars will start failing the same way.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:08 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great news Mark. Enjoy the new engine and please let us know if anything feels any different compared to the previous engine. Did you ask or have any idea what they will do with the removed engine? I assume send it back to Porsche to investigate, but I'm sure they've gone through more than enough by now to really know what the real problem is.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:44 AM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by levd
Update 2: No new engine for that car. It's being rebuilt with new top-end under warranty.

Next summer will be a real doomsday IMO, with A LOT of 991 GT3s joining the bad apple list and probably RS cars will start failing the same way.

Update on misfire on the lad's car. re-built on E engine only. Asked to get new engine but they denied.

Another engine issue happened on another guy, he will get the answer in the coming days. Automatic E engine swap is not anymore!

they are maybe convinced that DLC coat is the solution whatever the engine...

I have sold mine, waiting for the new one.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:09 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Great news on the new G engine!
Originally Posted by jfr0317
Great news on the quick turnaround on the new engine, Mark!
Originally Posted by bronson7
Great news Mark. Enjoy the new engine and please let us know if anything feels any different compared to the previous engine. Did you ask or have any idea what they will do with the removed engine? I assume send it back to Porsche to investigate, but I'm sure they've gone through more than enough by now to really know what the real problem is.
Thanks guys. I got my car back today. Hard to tell if there is any difference. Engine feels strong, and I have noticed oil pressures are higher than before. I will continue to update u about my impressions. Mark
Old 10-24-2016, 08:13 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Well done Mark on the new engine! Sounds like you have been treated well with quick turn around etc.

Well the "G6" is a new designation but I assume just a G iteration given to the latest replacement engines out of stores. We have now got somewhat ahead of the latest online PET on these numbers now - if you had the replacement engine crate part number we can probably look a bit deeper etc.

Rest assured it will have the DLC cams etc so should last a very long time for you I should think.

We had a fifth engine show the "missfire" codes here in NZ. I believe that's 5 out of 30 now. So far all early E series cars. I should think those % pretty much reflect the global situation.

Enjoy stacking the miles up on it and dont baby it during break in ;-)
Thanks Mark...
Here is a picture of the label that came on the crate. Not sure if it can tell you more about the engine.

I am really glad I got a new engine, and after couple of gas refills I am planning to drive it hard. Unfortunately the rain season has arrived, but I will take the opportunity evrytime we have a little break in the weather to drive this baby really hard. Thanks again my dear friend. Mark
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2016, 09:41 PM
TBC63
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

A few semi- noob questions:

A top end fix will keep the the engine serial # the same as originally issued..right?

A new engine will have a new serial #...do other areas on the car have original serial #'s that tie back to the original engine serial #?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Thanks Mark...
Here is a picture of the label that came on the crate. Not sure if it can tell you more about the engine.

I am really glad I got a new engine, and after couple of gas refills I am planning to drive it hard. Unfortunately the rain season has arrived, but I will take the opportunity evrytime we have a little break in the weather to drive this baby really hard. Thanks again my dear friend. Mark
Thanks Mark. Great work. Valuable data point. You replacement engine supersedes the latest online PET which show the same part number with "DX" as the final two digits. You have the very latest MA175 engine on offer with all the enhancements of the 911R and July onward 911 GT3RS engines! This must be costing PAG a fortune...
Old 10-25-2016, 12:46 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

This whole thing about matching serial numbers is wildly over blown. Who really cares? And if you do, why?! It's a freaking car. Just drive the damm thing for crying out loud.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?