Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 03:09 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Nick, have you considered a horse?
LOL!
Alan,you always " pick " on me but I'm always LMAO behind the screen reading your posts,I wish you could see me. It's all in good fun,I love it!
Unfortunately many of my posts have proven to be correct. That's why I get PMs every once in a while from members who agree with me but don't want to do it publicly.
Going back to the GT3 engine,don't get me wrong,I am not singing its demise and I certainly do not feel any kind of " satisfaction " reading about its problems. I've always kept an open mind and tried to understand what's happening before forming an opinion. I continue to believe Porsche will somehow fix these issues so that everyone can enjoy their cars without worries.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Going back to the GT3 engine,don't get me wrong,I am not singing its demise and I certainly do not feel any kind of " satisfaction " reading about its problems. I've always kept an open mind and tried to understand what's happening before forming an opinion. I continue to believe Porsche will somehow fix these issues so that everyone can enjoy their cars without worries.
Nick, I think your last point is the key. Would I rather that none of these issues had arisen? Sure. Still, Porsche dealt with the initial rod bolt problem in a way that could hardly have been any better or more complete. I fully expect that they will stand behind any future issues that arise.

In the meantime, my car is used vigorously, continues to run perfectly, has thrown no codes or had any mechanical issues, and is a delight to own and drive. When and if it does have a problem, I'll deal with them. Life is too short to worry about what "might happen".
Old 01-28-2016, 03:24 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Nick, I think your last point is the key. Would I rather that none of these issues had arisen? Sure. Still, Porsche dealt with the initial rod bolt problem in a way that could hardly have been any better or more complete. I fully expect that they will stand behind any future issues that arise. In the meantime, my car is used vigorously, continues to run perfectly, has thrown no codes or had any mechanical issues, and is a delight to own and drive. When and if it does have a problem, I'll deal with them. Life is too short to worry about what "might happen".
Old 01-28-2016, 03:36 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Nick, I think your last point is the key. Would I rather that none of these issues had arisen? Sure. Still, Porsche dealt with the initial rod bolt problem in a way that could hardly have been any better or more complete. I fully expect that they will stand behind any future issues that arise.

In the meantime, my car is used vigorously, continues to run perfectly, has thrown no codes or had any mechanical issues, and is a delight to own and drive. When and if it does have a problem, I'll deal with them. Life is too short to worry about what "might happen".
well said^

Those of us that spend a bit of time at the track are all aware of the risks. Risk of hitting oil or fluid on track. Risk of making a mistake. Risk of car braking down. If car still under warranty? One less thing to worry about. My track car have no warranty. Brakes down, fix it and drive again.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:32 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Nick,

I may well have taken the GT4 I passed on if I had experienced all of the issues some members have had to deal with. I consider the exchanges fun. Always assumed you did as well.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:48 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok the horse comment cracked me up....but does it have a manual?

It is interesting that the problems are coming about with the first Porsche to have a track warranty. Maybe that was the risk management decision.....benefits of field testing in lieu of racing? Seems logical, and fair as long as it is honored without question.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:38 AM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry if this has already been answered.

You probably have worn camshaft lobe(s) due to lack of lubrication. I believe they upgrade the oil rail with a larger one. Is this not a recall?!?!?

Last edited by mm450exc; 01-29-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:59 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So decided to bring this thread up, as had the limp mode happen during the smokies event. Took it in today. They found a misfire on cylinder 5 and they changed plugs and coils but problem still there. So what can I expect will be the next step? And if it comes to a new motor, how long has this been taking others? from time you bring it in to getting the work done? Also is it common to get any compensation? Really just want to get the car back in a timely matter with the issue resolved and not to happen again. Start to question the longevity of these motors. I kept my 997tt long after warranty but not sure 991 gt3 is a one to keep. Do love the car.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:07 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
So decided to bring this thread up, as had the limp mode happen during the smokies event. Took it in today. They found a misfire on cylinder 5 and they changed plugs and coils but problem still there. So what can I expect will be the next step? And if it comes to a new motor, how long has this been taking others? from time you bring it in to getting the work done? Also is it common to get any compensation? Really just want to get the car back in a timely matter with the issue resolved and not to happen again. Start to question the longevity of these motors. I kept my 997tt long after warranty but not sure 991 gt3 is a one to keep. Do love the car.
Sorry to hear that, Chris. Not the thing you want happening, especially at the Smokies! Maybe post your info here, as it is the thread most are monitoring.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-repalced.html
Old 04-18-2016, 07:12 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robmypro
Sorry to hear that, Chris. Not the thing you want happening, especially at the Smokies! Maybe post your info here, as it is the thread most are monitoring.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2016, 08:36 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Chris sorry for your problems. Hope it gets resolved quickly and too your satisfaction

Tal
Old 04-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

I think PCNA is doing head swaps now not full engine swaps.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:46 PM
MoeGt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let them check on the wiring harness. That was the problem with my friends car that started this thread. Good luck with the fix

Originally Posted by robmypro

Old 04-19-2016, 09:58 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
I think PCNA is doing head swaps now not full engine swaps.
My only concern with this, is will happen again? Doesn't the G motor have better oiling?
Old 02-17-2017, 01:43 AM
mlkissel1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure where to post this, but given tracking my GT3 might end up with a misfire, and subsequent top end or engine replacement, should I be worried about this line in my Certification paperwork? The car came with the track book with the owners manual, but has this exclusion caused any issues with warranties? My dealer is great, and was going to have them do my track inspection form, now I'm thinking, maybe not......The line I concerned with states "Abuse, Accident, acts of nature, problems caused by competitive racing or track use.

Quick Reply: 2015 GT3 misfire engine - help