How to get one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 01:25 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get one?

Dear All,

I have been a member of the Porsche family for about 13 months, daily driving a 991 C2S which I upgraded to a 991.1 Turbo 4 months ago.

I do love those cars, I use them almost "as a beater" except that I take great care of them. 25,000mi/smile a year has no price.

I have recently contacted the 2 P. Dealers I maintain relationship with to try to get positioned for the next 991.2 GT3 RS, and possible the "4.0" one.

All of them had the same answer: "if we are to get one, it is already sold."

> My question is:
"has the factory anything to say about this?"
Ferrari for example, allocates limited editions, based on their review of the client, and also dealer feedback.

> I'm sure Porsche, as a factory/company, would value more to see a fairly young new client to the brand, with a passion about cars, daily a GT3 RS for about 20kmi+ plus a year, and collect it, with a potential to "grow with the brand", rather than seeing those models allocated by dealers to clients who will not drive the car of flip it quickly to make some profit.

Let me know what you guys think, how you got to get one slot, how you became your "favorite dealer client".....

Thanks
Old 01-15-2016, 01:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

1. pay 100k over msrp, you increase you chance greatly. this is no a smart *** comment, but reality.
2. after buying 20 porsches from same shop, you increase you chance SLIGHTLY.
sad but true
Old 01-15-2016, 01:36 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I hope you don't live in California,Texas or Manhattan Ny. That's where money grow on trees.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:51 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mooty
1. pay 100k over msrp, you increase you chance greatly. this is no a smart *** comment, but reality.
2. after buying 20 porsches from same shop, you increase you chance SLIGHTLY.
sad but true
I'd had that in mind...but that does not help my case as:

1. I want to configure mine as I want to keep it.
Finding a dealer who will take 100k above sticker at order may be a possibility but likely to be hard to find.

2. I'm not interested in buying 20 Porsches and wait 15 years to have access to the best models.
I want the brand to show they have interest in me, as I have special interest in them.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:14 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baronm69
I want the brand to show they have interest in me, as I have special interest in them.
Porsche does that but it's with cars like the 918.

The RS is a dealer-oriented relationship. Depending on where you live, I'd say, based on your buying pattern, you could accomplish this over a 2 year timeframe in a small dealer that operates outside major centers. I'd also suggest you put a deposit now on the 991.2 and let the dealer know you understand it will only happen if their base of loyal customers don't consume the entire allocation. This will move you up in the ranks.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:25 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

I still don't get why people would daily drive a GT3/RS. How young are you
Old 01-15-2016, 02:29 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tqevo
I still don't get why people would daily drive a GT3/RS. How young are you

Why? ...... Why not?
Old 01-15-2016, 02:32 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alaint101
Porsche does that but it's with cars like the 918.

The RS is a dealer-oriented relationship. Depending on where you live, I'd say, based on your buying pattern, you could accomplish this over a 2 year timeframe in a small dealer that operates outside major centers. I'd also suggest you put a deposit now on the 991.2 and let the dealer know you understand it will only happen if their base of loyal customers don't consume the entire allocation. This will move you up in the ranks.
That seems like a very reasonable advise. thanks
Old 01-15-2016, 02:33 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by baronm69
Dear All,

I have been a member of the Porsche family for about 13 months, daily driving a 991 C2S which I upgraded to a 991.1 Turbo 4 months ago.

I do love those cars, I use them almost "as a beater" except that I take great care of them. 25,000mi/smile a year has no price.

I have recently contacted the 2 P. Dealers I maintain relationship with to try to get positioned for the next 991.2 GT3 RS, and possible the "4.0" one.

All of them had the same answer: "if we are to get one, it is already sold."

> My question is:
"has the factory anything to say about this?"
Ferrari for example, allocates limited editions, based on their review of the client, and also dealer feedback.

> I'm sure Porsche, as a factory/company, would value more to see a fairly young new client to the brand, with a passion about cars, daily a GT3 RS for about 20kmi+ plus a year, and collect it, with a potential to "grow with the brand", rather than seeing those models allocated by dealers to clients who will not drive the car of flip it quickly to make some profit.

Let me know what you guys think, how you got to get one slot, how you became your "favorite dealer client".....

Thanks

Establish a good relationship with your dealer. Stop in and talk to the sales guys whenever you're in the area. Let them get to know you and your passion. I bought 2 cars from a dealer - 1999 and 2003. Since then, I've been taking my cars in for service and have a great relationship with all of them there. They happen to be a great group of guys/gals. I get involved with many of their events and send them referrals.

You never know how things turn out.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:44 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

The nature of the car makes it a dull experience around town.

I don't think Porsche cares about attracting and keeping younger clients since they assume that most don't have the $$$, and they want $$$. I contacted almost every dealer in the country before I found an allocation at MSRP, but it wasn't for the RS. Placed a nonrefundable deposit and waited 2 years for the car... just sharing my experience as a younger buyer.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:50 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Google gt3rs + allocations + Rennlist and you will have a couple of nights to read. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:00 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would aim for a Gt2 or Gt2 RS at this point as that is pretty much happening. No one knows if there will be a .2 Gt3 or RS. If there is one it may be turbo charged. If it isn't turbo charged it will be too slow compared to its competitors at that time.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:00 PM
16'991GT3
Pro

I would call around some of your local dealers and see who has lists with less people on it as well as find the ones that are high volume, and you may luck into an allocation, it is better to be on a list than not
Old 01-15-2016, 03:18 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tqevo
The nature of the car makes it a dull experience around town.

I don't think Porsche cares about attracting and keeping younger clients since they assume that most don't have the $$$, and they want $$$. I contacted almost every dealer in the country before I found an allocation at MSRP, but it wasn't for the RS. Placed a nonrefundable deposit and waited 2 years for the car... just sharing my experience as a younger buyer.
Interesting feedback. Thanks.

> What car was that for?
> Was this a long time ago?
There is a lot of hype now around limited editions from any brand, making longer lists of clients...

Not so long ago, when the Challenge Straddle and 996 GT3 RS came out, no one really cared. You could them fairly easily, there were not limited: the number of potential buyers were making them limited runs.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:39 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have multiple P dealers in your city, pick one (that you like) and stick to just one. Dealers work hard to build a customers loyalty so repay the favor and be loyal to them. If they like you and your don't act like a complete D-Bag and your a humble 32 year old they will respect you. Also, since you have along way to go to show your loyalty to them, I suggest you volunteer $$ for them to hold as a deposit. A lot of guys will disagree with this bc you wont make any interest on it, but it shows your a serious buyer.... Better than the market right now

That's how you should go about it, but using a RS as a DD is just dumb. Have you ever been in a RS, or scud? Don't buy a car bc it's the "cool" or you want to impress someone. I'm telling you now you will hate DD a RS! If you are in the position to spend 200K+ on a car you should be able to spend 230K. If you do get a chance to buy a RS do it, and go take the other 30K and buy a car you can DD. Trust me, I've been down this road

Quick Reply: How to get one?