Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 05:26 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

how does the acr lap time compare to your other cars?
Old 10-08-2016, 04:31 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
go 8 or 9/10ths with some safety margin.
I think this is a dangerous mentality. I suspect your 8/10 or 9/10 is still fast enough to hurt. **** happens. Tire blowouts, oil on track, debris on track, suspension failures, CV joint failures, other drivers, whatever.

I talk from experience.

That's not to say I don't bomb around tracks with three points and a helmet. I tracked my 991 GT3 at the 'Ring and Spa and didn't hold back. No cage, no belts, no special seat, no Hans, no fire suit/shoes/socks, no window net, no internal net. And I survived! I just made the decision knowing that **** happens and I could die. Literally. But I did so with no false sense of security if I "took it easy". Frankly, at *any* DE you should leave some buffer. But the speeds even with a buffer can kill you. If you want to go 10/10, go racing.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:03 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

When I say drive at 8 or 9/10ths, I mean of the drivers ability which is probably at most 80% of cars abilities. That leaves the safety margin. If want to push to max should have a race car with all safety systems
Old 01-10-2017, 03:09 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

quality issues (including cracking welds in subframe on a new car ) discussed, as well as some of the performance advantages. quite in depth and informative except for the street driving portion which is irrelevant to this car's purpose.

Last edited by CAlexio; 01-10-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:47 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

cool to get a builders opinion on the workmanship but they clueless regarding driving it. its a track day weapon, not a suburban strip mall cruiser like the hellcat. they need to feel it on a high speed track like Watkins glen and they talk about how organic it feels
Old 01-10-2017, 04:12 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 199 Posts

TRUE, and I think ICON builds a tiny old jeep inspired retro-rig with no roll bar and a chevy cruze engine for $100k. A different world where impractical and absurdly useless/expensive is good. BUT, ICON's craftsmanship is incredible. I just want to slowly destroy cars on track through repeated use, my Viper ACR-E is perfect for that mission.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:47 AM
Snakebit10
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

From the get go you knew this was going to be a nitpicking whine-fest lol. It seem like all the journalists/automotive shows are all reading from the same script. What happened to enthusiasts that hankered for true drivers car? Dying breed.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:35 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

Might interest some folks in this thread. Neat stuff.

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads...513#post272513
Old 01-19-2017, 11:57 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Snakebit10
From the get go you knew this was going to be a nitpicking whine-fest lol. It seem like all the journalists/automotive shows are all reading from the same script. What happened to enthusiasts that hankered for true drivers car? Dying breed.
I subscribe to Ward's Youtube channel.

I think he is an enthusiast hankering for true driver's cars -- albeit not sports cars -- more then nearly anyone on this forum. His attention to detail is incredible and if you watch his Youtube channel when he's discussing a new build you see it firsthand.

Watching him pick apart the Viper was incredibly interesting and helped me to understand how Dodge is selling it at such a low price for the performance. I wish he'd do a similar video with a GT3.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:45 PM
Snakebit10
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I get that destaccado but once he compared a Dodge build quality to a Pagani he lost me and it was obvious how hard he was going to try lol. On top of that not one ounce of actual performance evaluation to put things in perspective.

Its like me comparing a Civic with a Bugatti Veyron in terms of fit and finish and build quality and materials then panning the Civic that had a much different design philosophy and budget than the Veyron. I doubt you would take my argument and anything I said after that very seriously even if I was an authority on said subject because it reveals a subjective opinion that's a bit obvious.

He also complained the steering wheel is too close when he got in the car then in the same breath after he adjusted the seat he complained its too far lol. Trying too hard is what I got from most of his subjective rants. Tear the car apart that's fine because there are a lot of things about the car that a lot of high end buyers would not go for. The weld thing was a very legit complaint. More of objective things like that would have been welcomed. Just seemed like he was trying real hard to exaggerate issues on a "track car" that were mostly subjective.

Just the way it came across to me.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:24 PM
jpgunn
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Great Video of a Viper having some fun with a GT3 (love the GT3s, but they are just in totally different performance leagues).

https://youtu.be/FaNfT44FDCs

The Viper ACR-E is just about as fast as a 991 Cup Car (especially if you put them on the same tires).

Last edited by jpgunn; 01-22-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:33 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you for sharing. That is an awesome track run by the Viper-ACR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaNf...ature=youtu.be

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

(love the GT3s, but they are just in totally different performance leagues).

https://youtu.be/FaNfT44FDCs

The Viper ACR-E is just about as fast as a 991 Cup Car (especially if you put them on the same tires).[/QUOTE]
Old 01-30-2017, 05:18 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 143 Posts

Mine smokes my Cup car on track and then I drive the car to dinner . I couldn't ask for anything more its insane
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2017, 01:20 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm happy to announce I just picked up my GTS-R this week. I must say, the handling is very go kart like, and mimics the 997.2 GT3 RS in overall seriousness towards the serious enthusiast. Had no idea the ACR and it's special edition cousins nailed the handling department that well. Pleased to see that the car feels very special from the moment you step inside and take a hard corner fast. Also surprised that it sounds better in person than online in videos. Can't wait for warmer weather to see what this car is capable of. Very happy, and quite the privilege to have one of these. Would definitely recommend one for the driving enthusiast out there. Thanks for creating this thread as it really encouraged me to pursue the Viper.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:47 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Nice purchase. Your post reminds me again of what an amazing sales tool forums are. Smart Auto manufacturers should use the KGB/Putin strategy of planting clandestine representatives on forums to pose as well-heeled enthusiasts who gush about cars, must-have options etc in order to increase sales, as this clearly works well. Even cross-pollinating into different brand forums and having secret agents start "OT:" Topics like this one.. how many Vipers has FCA sold on this Porschre thread?

Porsche could even go as deep as planting an expert-agent posing as a super-informed and detailed enthusiast just to secretly educate the forum on otherwise complex or secretive subjects like PTS... Hmm...

Quick Reply: OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR