The modegrau / Fashion grey thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 03:23 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Speaking of unusual grey colours, and following up on this older post:

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
Some interesting claims here. According to this Instagram post, the colour on this RS is neither Fashion grey nor Sport Classic grey. Poster says it's a new, as yet unnamed, colour. I can't imagine it would be PTS and have no name. I suppose it could be aftermarket paint??? Does anyone have more info? Anyone in the Stuttgart area know this person/car.

Anyway, here's the (very nice looking) car.

I wonder if this was actually the new colour "Chalk" as seen on this Panamera???

Old 09-30-2016, 05:33 PM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Not sure where to post this--here vs 911R thread. But since I'm a fashion grey junkie, I guess this makes the most sense!!!

From PTSRS's IG:

Fashion grey 911R!!!!!
From the regsitration number, I would guess that this is #888/991...
Old 09-30-2016, 07:57 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fashion Grey is my favourite of the grey bunch b/c to me it's just so rich in colour.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:45 PM
<3mph
Drifting

I like how you think, bronson!
Old 10-05-2016, 09:56 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, everyone. First off I have to say thread thread is amazing. I stumbled across it while researching PTS colors for a C4S. I have a soft spot for grey cars but the currrent standard options don't get me excited. Agate is a bit boring and I'm waiting to see a car in Graphite Blue but I think it'll be too blue (shocking) and I found it hard to pair with most interior leather at the dealership. Thus I have a bunch of questions…

I love Modegrau in photos but I've yet to see it in person. Because of this I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger, especially given the long wait for PTS. I know this is a long shot but does anyone know where I might be able to see a 911 in Fashion Grey in the NYC metro area?

Also trying to figure out interior colors. Obviously Black leather works, and maybe Agate? but I'm curious if the natural leather in Espresso would be a good combo?

Finally, does anyone know if the new Panamera's Crayon/Chalk color is likely to come to the 991.2? Seems like a decent proxy for Fashion Grey.

Any thoughts/info would be much appreciated. Save me from ordering a car in a non-PTS color : )
Old 10-05-2016, 10:08 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

I'm sure lessthan3mph (Daniel) can help you.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:16 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Hi nimprojects, welcome to Rennlist!! I'm glad you found the thread useful. Good luck with your new C4S and congratulations! I would personally advise you (as many others here seem to feel too) that PTS is some of the best money you can spend to make a Porsche special and unique. There are quite a few wonderful greys to choose from. Fashion grey is really nice. But consider also Sport Classic grey (from the rare and desirable 997 of the same name) and Grigio campovolo. And there are many other greys too, including two Slate greys, Nardo grey, Grey black, etc etc.

As far as seeing a Fashion grey car in person, there should be around 10 Fashion grey 991 GT3's in North America. However, the only known one in the northeast may not be easy to see (unless you have friends in the stand-up comedy business!!) since that one was supposed to go to Seinfeld's collection. That's the rumour anyway. (See Eduardo's excellent posts appended below) BTW if anyone is able to help update the list by telling us where the other Fashion Grey GT3's went, please let us all know.

Furthermore, there were 25 special Rennsport Reunion Edition GTS's built (worldwide), all in Fashion grey, and at least one or more will have been bought by customers in your area. You may want to reach out to PatrickC23 (that's his username on Rennlist) by Private Message to see if you might arrange to view his car; I believe he's in NJ, although I don't know him personally. Another option is to reach out to some of the other owners who have a RRE GTS as they might know of another one in your neck of the woods. Apparently RL user JEI-Porsche was considering a registry of these cars, but I'm not sure how many have been identified of the 25 known cars. Maybe try contacting JEI-Porsche.

Originally Posted by JEI-Porsche
Picked one up too & I am curious where they all are. PM me, I'd like to start a registry.
Best of luck!! And please update us with your decision on which colour you choose to go with!

Originally Posted by Z356

Of all the three late allocation PTS gt3s, these have been the most elusive to find in the US dealer network. I posted the following on 5/22:

"Of the possible ten (max) late '15 allocations to be done in 'Fashion Grey / Modegrau' for the US market, we have identified one for a Rennlister sold via dealer in Las Vegas, one ordered by '918 Anonymous' via the 918 VIP program, one at Champion in Florida, one at Rusnak-Pasadena (the color blind folks!), one with the Todd Blue 'IndiGo' Porsche dealer organization and a possible one destined for Jerry Seinfeld in Connecticut. None of these, to our knowledge, has yet been delivered to their customers here in the US. If anyone knows of another one of these late '15 gt3s in 'Fashion Grey' that is not mentioned in the list above, please let us know!"

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post12302203

This is the one we previously mentioned heading to Todd Blue's 'IndiGo Group' at Porsche of North Houston'. It was first reported to us as a vehicle reserved for GM Kelly Wolf's use & not initially meant for sale. But they apparently changed their minds & put it up for sale when it arrived...albeit at a hefty $20K mark up over sticker! The other late PTS gt3 obtained by 'IndiGo Group' was Msmatt's 'Signal Green' at Porsche of Rancho Mirage in California.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Originally Posted by Z356
Yes, it doesn't surprise me. One of the ten 'Fashion Grey/Modegrau' late allocation PTS gt3s we have been tracking on the thread linked below, although we didn't know Porsche of Stevens Creek was going to get one.

Fashion Grey/Modegrau'
Core Base Standard & Options
4-way Sport Plus Seats,
Extended Range Fuel Tank (082)
Seat Heating (342)
Front Axle Lift (474)
Sound Package Plus (490)
LED Headlights (602 or XEY)
Sport Chrono (643)
Sirius/XM/HD Radio (690)
Floor Mats (810)
Auto Dimming Mirrors/Rain Sensor (P13)
PCM w. Navigation (P23)
Ornamental Porsche Crest (ZAB):

Plus the following particulars:

Leather/Alcantara Interior, Platinum Stitching (078)
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell (581)
Brushed Aluminum Interior Package - Anthracite (P1B)
Wheels Painted in Black (XDG)
LED in Black (XEY)
Seat Belts in Silver Grey (XSH)
Sports Plus Backseats Shells in Leather (XWK)
Doors Sills in SS, Illuminated (XXB)

MSRP for the 'Fashion Grey/Modegrau' gt3 is $155,765.
Destination and guzzler tax 1,995.
Total $157,760

This is the most expensive of the specs and the one with the most options.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...grey-gt3s.html

Frankly, we should see several more 'Fashion Grey' gt3s in the US dealer network shortly since we had a hard time identifying all ten of them initially:

'Fashion Grey / Modegrau'

1) Champion Florida. (Available. Asking $178,000 or $20K over MSRP)
2) Rusnak Pasadena (Available. Asking $198,000 or $40K over MSRP). Rusnak initially claimed it was 'Mexico Blue' and not 'Modegrau'!
3) New Country - Porsche of Greenwich. Supposedly will be sold to Jerry Seinfeld.
4) Gaudin Porsche of Las Vegas - (Sold to Rennlist user)
5) Porsche of North Houston (Sold)
6) Porsche of Stevens Creek (Available as of today)
7) ?
8) ?
9) ?
10) Assigned to customer known as 'Anonymous918' & who has two 918's on order! He is the only PTS gt3 in this group whose specs were totally modified from original. He is getting LWB, PCCB, etc. Along with the North Carolina buyer, I believe this PTS 'Modegrau' is an extra build and does not count against the original 10 'Modegrau' that PAG/PCNA originally thought to allocated to the US dealers on the reward program. But I don't have confirmation of that at the present time and is only speculation.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Currently in the Hood Canal, WA
Old 10-06-2016, 01:38 AM
nimprojects
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Thanks

Thanks bronson7.

Lessthan3mph, thank you so much for the very detailed reply…

I have come across the other greys you mention during my research (this forum is a treasure trove of info). Sport Classic does indeed look great, but from what I gather is a little bit lighter than Fashion grey and I've only seen a couple pics so I'm even less confident of choosing it. Also curious what colour it tends towards, Fashion Grey looks a bit yellow in many pics.

Grigio Campovolo also looks good, but I've only seen one pic, and I think I'd rather have a historic Porsche colour.

I really like the non-metalic Slate Grey, but I think I might save that one for my next car.

I fell in love with modegrau as soon as saw it on the PTSRS Instagram. I even like the name (in German and English). A friend recommended the color without knowing I was already thinking of PTS. Seems like I should go with my first love : )

Thanks for the tips regarding seeing a car. Will let you know what I decide.

Cheers
Old 10-06-2016, 01:54 AM
<3mph
Drifting

You're welcome! I think you'll be very happy with Fashion grey then.

And yes, it does tend towards the yellow / beige in certain light. In this respect, it feels a little "richer" than the more neutral greys like Sport Classic grey. Some people who prefer a more "pure" grey will not like Fashion grey for this reason (looks "dirty," like "smog," etc).

I forgot to answer your question about leather. I have only seen black in person with Fashion grey. But a combination with Espresso has been done before, and I think it looks extremely handsome.

Red has also been done.

As for Agate, I suspect it is quite close to Fashion grey, so it would provide much less contrast.

Lots of options. As they say, to each his own!

I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts and some photos once your car arrives!!
Old 10-06-2016, 03:04 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Oh, and as to your final question about the new colour, Chalk M9A (seen only on the new Panamera so far), I really don't have any information about whether it will be available for the 991.

If my wild guess about the "new and unnamed" colour on the RS (above, see post #351) is correct, and that RS is indeed Chalk (zalasin said it would appear on a new model which the new Panamera indeed is!!), then I would imagine Chalk should (note my emphasis here) be able to pass the factory paint testing and thus potentially be available as PTS. However, rumour has it, this very very special RS is owned by a VVVIP, perhaps even more so than zalasin himself, who clearly is quite the VVIP to even have viewed that RS and learn that it was neither Fashion grey nor Sport Classic grey! So who knows what rules applied to get this colour painted for this one of a kind RS and VVVIP??!!

From the photos, FWIW, Chalk may be a little lighter than Fashion grey. I'd guess closer to Sport Classic grey.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:18 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

As for Agate, I suspect it is quite close to Fashion grey, so it would provide much less contrast.
I don't have a pic handy but Agate grey is definitely not close to Fashion grey, it's much darker. Hopefully someone can post a pic of Agate.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:58 AM
<3mph
Drifting

You must be right, bronson7--thanks for picking up on my mistake! I haven't seen Agate grey leather in person. Here's a link to a thread with some photos and discussion about it. While Fashion grey is one of the darker light greys (!!), Agate leather is likely dark enough to still provide some contrast with it.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:24 AM
<3mph
Drifting

nimprojects: FYI there is a Fashion grey GT3 RS that was reported as sold through Roslyn Park NY. Perhaps the dealership can put you in touch with the owner if the car is still local. Might be worth a try.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:02 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

Agate is also a metallic colour.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:38 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Yes correct. There are two agates: the metallic exterior paint, and the interior leather.

Quick Reply: The modegrau / Fashion grey thread