Sponsored by:

GT3 Tools and Gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 12:33 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
No. Probably easiest to just tow to your favorite shop. No one is likey the have the tire in stock near you.
Thats the best answer, unless you have a support team truck following you. All of the exotics, and now high performance cars pretty much exclude one from a quick repair. If small you could plug it can drive. I just can't see using that spray junk for any reason.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:16 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Does anyone have any better options for brake pad spreaders? The Lisle one seems to have some complaints on amazon that it's not strong enough. I use the generic one which is nice, but slow.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Red Dawg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Girodisc caliper piston spreader PST-01. A little pricey at $225.00, but I've used one for years and it is a beast. I got mine from Rennstore, but you can also order through Girodisc.com I think.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:54 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Red Dawg
Girodisc caliper piston spreader PST-01. A little pricey at $225.00, but I've used one for years and it is a beast. I got mine from Rennstore, but you can also order through Girodisc.com I think.
I did know ant that one (it's already listed) but $225 scares me away. At $100 it's a no brainer. Thanks for the recommendation though. I may still get one.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:12 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

Does anyone know of any other jacks that will fit under the GT3 with the jackpot stand caps?
There are a couple options in steel. The Omega 29023 has a 2.5" minimum pickup height (with the removable saddle in place). It works with the Jackpoint stands but it's a commercial long reach jack that weighs 100+ lbs. Omega manufactures this jack for Mac Tools. The Omega can be had for around $300 but shipping to a residence can get expensive (it generally ships freight). If you happen to find an Omega 29025 anywhere (discontinued but still supported by SFA) it is the short reach lighter version also with 2.5" minimum pickup height.

Sunex has a long reach jack that goes down to 2 3/4" (6602LP) and, I believe, has a shorter version that gets down to just below 3" (6613A). Harbor Freight has a steel jack that goes down to about 2 3/4" (61253). Weighs about 77 lbs. and works with the stands. Some of their jacks are quite good - at least for awhile. That jack has a coupon price of about $80 - $90.

There are many jacks that work with the Jackpoint stands that hit the industry standard 3.5" minimum pickup height and should work with the Jackpoint pad in place if your GT3 has 5" of clearance (to the lift point). Sunex, OTC, Torin, Omega, and Harbor Freight all make nice aluminum jacks that will work. All are imported - mostly from China. Some brands have their exclusive manufacturers others just buy and label a widely available jack. There's no guarantee you get a better Chinese jack for more money - one of the Sears aluminum jacks was well known for leaking - though it wasn't cheap. Other Sears aluminum jacks have bulletproof reputations. I have a Sears steel jack from China that is over 30 years old and still works fine.

Perhaps that's more than you wanted to know. In mass market, look for a jack that is ANSI and/or PALD rated (Sunex and Omega jacks are - as should be the OTC and Torin). They SHOULD be better.

That said, Brunnhoelzl Pro Series Jack is in a different class. It is a true race jack. The chassis and lift arm components are machined from billet aluminum rather than assembled from mass cast parts. Far as I know - it's the only US made aluminum jack available and at 2" minimum pickup height, it goes lower than any jack you can buy foreign or domestic. They're beautiful - kind of like a GT3 Cup Car of jacks.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:52 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jpoint
That said, Brunnhoelzl Pro Series Jack is in a different class. It is a true race jack. The chassis and lift arm components are machined from billet aluminum rather than assembled from mass cast parts. Far as I know - it's the only US made aluminum jack available and at 2" minimum pickup height, it goes lower than any jack you can buy foreign or domestic. They're beautiful - kind of like a GT3 Cup Car of jacks.
I thought Lar mentioned they needed modified versions of the JackPoint stands? My current craftsman has about 4.5" of clearance. The car hasn't arrived yet, but I suspect that combined with the Jackpoint plate, it's won't be low enough. I'd love to just find a lower version of that Craftsman. I've had it for 7 years, and it's still going strong.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:08 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

We can now get Brunnhoelzl Pro Series jacks pre-modified for Jackpoint jack stands. However - to your point - the Craftsman will be close based on what I was told today by a 991 GT3 owner. I'd suggest waiting until the car arrives and check before you buy another jack. You can continue to use the Craftsman or other jack using the method we us on Cup cars and others that are REALLY low. We just lift the car on the factory lift point without the pad in place. When the tire comes off the ground you slide a short piece of 2x wood or a Race Ramp jack assist ramp under the tire and let the car down. With the tire resting about 2" higher you should have plenty of room for your Craftsman jack and the Jackpoint pad. Once the first corner is up the other corner(s) will have plenty of clearance.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:03 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by JP Schnegg
In case of puncture, is the car equipped for a wheel change ?

Assuming we manage to bring her to any garage to change the damage tyre (supposedly while on a trip in another country and no Porsche dealer around) ?

If not what shall we buy to be equipped for such an occurence ?
For a tire puncture, something like this works well, as long as the puncture is in the tread, rather than the shoulder or sidewall:

Amazon.com: Victor 22-5-00106-8 Heavy Duty Tubeless Tire Repair Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Victor 22-5-00106-8 Heavy Duty Tubeless Tire Repair Kit: Automotive

I haven't heard of these types of repairs failing, even at the track.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:25 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jpoint
We can now get Brunnhoelzl Pro Series jacks pre-modified for Jackpoint jack stands. However - to your point - the Craftsman will be close based on what I was told today by a 991 GT3 owner. I'd suggest waiting until the car arrives and check before you buy another jack. You can continue to use the Craftsman or other jack using the method we us on Cup cars and others that are REALLY low. We just lift the car on the factory lift point without the pad in place. When the tire comes off the ground you slide a short piece of 2x wood or a Race Ramp jack assist ramp under the tire and let the car down. With the tire resting about 2" higher you should have plenty of room for your Craftsman jack and the Jackpoint pad. Once the first corner is up the other corner(s) will have plenty of clearance.
Thanks. I'll probably wait, and I supposed I can always got get the Harbor Freight 2" jack which is cheap. Btw, I just received the Jackpoint stands, and they look great. Very excited to start using them!
Old 02-16-2015, 01:40 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Bought a 30CF tank & regulator [1] and this gauge [2] from amazon. The gauge is pretty nice and does 1/10th lbs increments. Hopefully I will have the tank & regulator this week and will get to try it out this weekend. Worst case scenario I buy the prestaflator and use it on my bikes.

[1] http://www.portablenitrogen.com
[2]
Amazon.com: STEELMAN (97977) High Accuracy Digital Tire Inflator: Automotive Amazon.com: STEELMAN (97977) High Accuracy Digital Tire Inflator: Automotive
Old 02-16-2015, 03:49 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Mayor
We need to find a source for oil filters besides the stealership. I have looked high and low for comparable filter with no luck. Here is a photo of the filter on my car. I plan to keep looking. There must be a cross reference filter.
Users/edwardjenkins/Desktop/IMG_1064.jpg
sonnenporscheoemparts.com and gaudinporschparts.com have the oil filter for $28.27 plus $14.95 for shipping. So, you can get three oil filters for $100.

Last edited by alpine-al; 02-26-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-26-2015, 03:07 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Added Racingbrake (RB) Performance caliper piston rebuild for high heat applications: http://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7185.htm
Old 03-04-2015, 05:14 PM
wwlee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Walmart has 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 0W-40 for $27 (though not all stores may have this in stock)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W...5-qt./23636902
Old 03-05-2015, 12:19 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wwlee
Walmart has 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 0W-40 for $27 (though not all stores may have this in stock)

That's an amazing price. It's almost like they don't even pay their employees.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:10 PM
wwlee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wwlee

That's an amazing price. It's almost like they don't even pay their employees.
Sorry...I should have checked this earlier before my earlier post. There's a $12 rebate on 5 quarts of Mobil 1 oil, which if it works, brings down the px to $15 for 5 quarts. There's discussion on which Walmarts are considered participating retailers, but I figure it's an extra bonus if you can score on the rebate. My understanding is that motor oil does not go bad, so might be a good time to stock up (2 rebates per household).

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1430931/

Quick Reply: GT3 Tools and Gear