Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 12:05 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, I remove all of that. My issue is simple releasing air from a super hot tire with my hand right next to super hot rotors. I fun these

Mechanix Wear CXG-L10-009 CarbonX Level 10 Glove, One Pair, Medium - Work Gloves - Amazon.com Mechanix Wear CXG-L10-009 CarbonX Level 10 Glove, One Pair, Medium - Work Gloves - Amazon.com
Old 02-08-2015, 01:45 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Track day at Sonoma today. On and off rain all day, so the cars got DIRTY and sideways. Not a great day to set a benchmark lap, but I'll post up video soon.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:03 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought because of the rain you were gonna leave the GT at home and take the Spyder? The temptation was too much for you eh?!!
Old 02-08-2015, 02:09 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
I thought because of the rain you were gonna leave the GT at home and take the Spyder? The temptation was too much for you eh?!!
Spyder in the rain with no roof? Nah. LOL.

I actually brought the BRZ and the GT3. Had to do one session in the BRZ because it was too wet and slippery out and couldn't put any power down with the GT3. Car control with a BRZ in the wet is perfect. The last session of the day was dry except for the berms and the edges of the track, so it was worth bringing the 3 for that.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:11 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Track day at Sonoma today. On and off rain all day, so the cars got DIRTY and sideways. Not a great day to set a benchmark lap, but I'll post up video soon.
Joe, who do you go to Sonoma with? Would like to meet you and others one of these days. I usually got to Sonoma with Trackmasters Racing.

My car should be here within the next 2 weeks. Hopefully can put some miles on it and make it to the next event.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:14 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gago1101
Joe, who do you go to Sonoma with? Would like to meet you and others one of these days. I usually got to Sonoma with Trackmasters Racing. My car should be here within the next 2 weeks. Hopefully can put some miles on it and make it to the next event.
For Sonoma I go with either TMR or HOD. I'll be at thill with HOD on 3/13. Com'on out with the new car!
Old 02-08-2015, 02:24 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

For Sonoma I go with either TMR or HOD. I'll be at thill with HOD on 3/13. Com'on out with the new car!
Never driven at the thill, but looks like an awesome track. 3/13 is a Friday, a little tough, but I'll see if I can make it. I do want to have about at least 800 miles before opening it up. I will be driving it up from LA when I get it, so I think I should be okay in terms of miles.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:24 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spyder in the rain with no roof? Nah. LOL
I thought you were that quick that no roof wouldn't matter even in the rain!!😃

I see there's a combo bike and car day at Sonoma the end of this month. That could be fun.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:37 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
I thought you were that quick that no roof wouldn't matter even in the rain!!dde03 I see there's a combo bike and car day at Sonoma the end of this month. That could be fun.
Lol!

Actually, I'm not a fan of the combo bike days. Not because of the bikes, but because tmr only has 2 run groups. That means limited spots. That means people start shoe horning themselves into run groups that they are NOT qualified for, but think they'll be ok. That means they get in over their head. That means unsafe driving and lots of crashes. It was really bad the last time I was there.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:00 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll be there both days!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:59 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gago1101
Never driven at the thill, but looks like an awesome track. 3/13 is a Friday, a little tough, but I'll see if I can make it. I do want to have about at least 800 miles before opening it up. I will be driving it up from LA when I get it, so I think I should be okay in terms of miles.
Cool! It's a long drive from socal for sure. Let me know if you decide to make it up!

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I'll be there both days!
Nice! With the new car?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:21 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

OK, here is my best lap at Sonoma. I will preface with a zillion excuses:

Heavy rain the day before, intermittent showers and rain throughout the day. We finally had some dry track at the end of the day, but even then there would be showering in random spots on the track. So, the line is nowhere near where it should be, I'm avoiding the paint/berms in many areas, and I'm not powering down in turns like 5 for fear of track debris. It got really scary when I touched the paint coming into turn 10 at one point, so the line through there is severely compromised on my best lap.

That being said, even in those conditions, I'm almost 3 seconds faster than the spyder in ideal conditions and barely squeezed out at 1:49

The car is a blast to drive fast. It really is an unfair competition against anything else out there right now, even in stock form. GREAT drivers in 997 GT3s can't keep up. I can only imagine what the RS will be like if they are making a larger gap between the 3 and RS than the past....

Some things to be aware of:

1) Street driving really is uneventful. The car behaves extremely docile at street speeds. It makes for a nice drive home from the track, but if you are just driving around town and looking for an experience, I think you will be disappointed. Sure it's fun to run up the engine here and there, but that's few and far in between with speed limits and traffic. It's more fun for me to tool around in the BRZ or spyder since I can at least wring out the engine and use a manual. The car CAN be used as a DD, but IMO it's a waste of miles on the car unless you have a commute with open roads. However, this works out just fine for me as I don't use the car as a DD.

2) The car more capable than almost anything out there right now, so it gets a little lonely on track sometimes...
Old 02-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Man those walls freak me out at sonoma. I'll stick w my slow car :-) these 991 are just insane for street car. Too fast almost wo full safety equipment.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:36 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Man those walls freak me out at sonoma. I'll stick w my slow car :-) these 991 are just insane for street car. Too fast almost wo full safety equipment.
You do make a valid point. I always leave something on the table at sonoma with turn 8, 10, and the exit of 11. It's not worth it. Hopefully the cantrell cage will arrive soon!
Old 02-08-2015, 11:40 AM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do make a valid point. I always leave something on the table at sonoma with turn 8, 10, and the exit of 11. It's not worth it. Hopefully the cantrell cage will arrive soon!
This is probably posted somewhere but what are you using for the camera and video with data overlay?

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal