Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Old 03-21-2017, 02:47 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Lol! Thanks! That would require a license and a race car first! I am starting to consider it. A lot of money and time commitment that I'm not quite ready for.
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Not much time required Joe, focus on the "A lot of money" imagine the worst case and triple it.
When you say worst case I think of the off I had in my GT3- just under my track deductible of 20K (18K repair bill), reduced value of about 20K!

So money part is relative. That bill for one off in my GT3 is more than I spend racing per year.

Factor in the cost of the car- 50K vs 150K- plus the added benefit that it doesn't go down in value with track time, because it's a racecar.

My typical track cost per day with the GT3 was about $1000 including insurance, not including any incidents. Track cost for my Spec Racer with full on track support is about $1200 per day. Not much difference.

Plus wheel to wheel is just so much better!

Uh, yeah. That is the biggest hurdle!!! Lol
I'll look into the test day rules in April, if it's not by the SCCA, you can come down and drive my car for one session for free.

Like the pusher sez- "First one's free!"
Old 03-21-2017, 03:18 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

^^ you race cheap!!

Race fuel
Slicks that last 2 days
$1.50 per mile shipping
$500 a day support
Fly, rental hotel.
PCA race weekend fee is $800 etc
Push living daylights out of car breaks stuff.

Not all costs are exclusive to racing but street cars don't need much at the track.
Race cats always seem to need something.

I have 5% deductible but never pushed enough to spin let alone crash in 14 years but of course the risk is on the table..crashed a couple of times in two years of racing.

Of course it matters a lot how you race.
I think typical race cars depreciate more than RS.

Junky ...
Old 03-21-2017, 10:59 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
^^ you race cheap!!

Race fuel
Slicks that last 2 days
$1.50 per mile shipping
$500 a day support
Fly, rental hotel.
PCA race weekend fee is $800 etc
Push living daylights out of car breaks stuff.

Not all costs are exclusive to racing but street cars don't need much at the track.
Race cats always seem to need something.

I have 5% deductible but never pushed enough to spin let alone crash in 14 years but of course the risk is on the table..crashed a couple of times in two years of racing.

Of course it matters a lot how you race.
I think typical race cars depreciate more than RS.

Junky ...
Transportation and lodging not included, nor things that break. Correct on more things breaking on race cars, but not so bad on SRF and parts are cheap, think Ford cheap! Racing Porsches=paying Porsche part prices more often!

I don't see much difference in entry fees vs. Track Day fees.

SRF's don't really depreciate- most are over 10 year old, mine is new and it's worth maybe 10% less than what I put into it.

By the way, my GT3 off was during a Time Trial, not a track day. Really going for it and made an error.

SRF is probably the cheapest spec class out there since all parts are managed by the SCCA-no cheating, sealed engines etc. Spec Miata is comparable, but go fast "tuning" costs big bucks.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:09 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

All interesting stuff, guys so thanks! And thanks for the offer, Montoya! I think if I do race, spec boxster seems the most appealing to me.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:23 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

All interesting stuff, guys so thanks! And thanks for the offer, Montoya! I think if I do race, spec boxster seems the most appealing to me.
Talk to Alexander Bermudez- Raced POC Spec Boxster- now runs with us and is very happy with his decision. His rationale-

- more competition and fuller fields
- lower overall cost (he was on his 4th motor in two seasons)
- lack of rules consistency and enforcement

BTW I think he was club champion in Spec Boxster.

Also, just to further talk costs- tires cost us $900 mounted and last over ten heat cycles with no degradation in performance. Some go two weekends on them. All other parts are spec and must be bought through SCCA- no cheater motors, suspension etc. Pretty sweet. Your Customer Service Rep (CSR) for Spec Racer is MBi in Buttonwillow, or you can use Bulldog Motorsports in Sacramento. I would talk to either before you jump into any form of racing. They can share costs and relative value.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:08 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Talk to Alexander Bermudez- Raced POC Spec Boxster- now runs with us and is very happy with his decision. His rationale-

Also, just to further talk costs- tires cost us $900 mounted and last over ten heat cycles with no degradation in performance. Some go two weekends on them. All other parts are spec and must be bought through SCCA- no cheater motors, suspension etc. Pretty sweet. Your Customer Service Rep (CSR) for Spec Racer is MBi in Buttonwillow, or you can use Bulldog Motorsports in Sacramento. I would talk to either before you jump into any form of racing. They can share costs and relative value.
This is all so tempting. I'm also trying to get away from tracking a street car - it's a compromise in both performance and safety. Wheel to wheel would be great, and it's exciting even in a slower car, which can make it less expensive.

BTW, great lap, Joe - you've now beaten all my PBs at Nor. Cal. tracks (mine was 1:57.4). I got to get back into tracking! Only had 4 weekends since August, and every time it was pouring rain. That odd RE71R set up with skinny rears is still only at 50% wear since summer because it rains every time. Anyway, I'll do thinderhill west without nannies this Saturday, so the rears will burn out even if it rains again.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by montoya

Thanks, man!
Old 03-21-2017, 03:11 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
This is all so tempting. I'm also trying to get away from tracking a street car - it's a compromise in both performance and safety. Wheel to wheel would be great, and it's exciting even in a slower car, which can make it less expensive.

BTW, great lap, Joe - you've now beaten all my PBs at Nor. Cal. tracks (mine was 1:57.4). I got to get back into tracking! Only had 4 weekends since August, and every time it was pouring rain. That odd RE71R set up with skinny rears is still only at 50% wear since summer because it rains every time. Anyway, I'll do thinderhill west without nannies this Saturday, so the rears will burn out even if it rains again.
Thanks, max. I still really enjoy tracking a street car, tbh. I know I can still learn more in DE. I'm starting to yearn for competition at this point, but I'm not in a rush.

Yeah, the 295 tires are too narrow for 12" wheels. The car will hook up on exit, but it always wants to kick out on corner entry, which is no good.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:34 PM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Confirmed. They are 9x19 and 12x19
Excellent - thank you, sir!

I smell new tires!
Old 03-21-2017, 06:47 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice lap Joe! :56's next
Old 03-21-2017, 06:55 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

I'll throw out another suggestion for racing: Lemons.

I can only make maybe 6-8 track days a year and so a fixed racing schedule would be a bit tough. However, after doing a lemons weekend in 2015, I can see doing that on occasion, with DEs in between. I think my rented seat was $800 for 4 hours of wheel to wheel racing. If you get your own car and some friends, after the initial setup, I'd guess weekend costs are similar. Per minute, is there any racing that's cheaper? Sure, it's a mess, but it's a fun mess and in the 100+ car field, there's lots of mini races going on. Plus the whole endurance racing aspect adds another layer of strategy.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:51 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RobertR1
Nice lap Joe! :56's next
The car can do it.....

Originally Posted by Yargk
I'll throw out another suggestion for racing: Lemons.

I can only make maybe 6-8 track days a year and so a fixed racing schedule would be a bit tough. However, after doing a lemons weekend in 2015, I can see doing that on occasion, with DEs in between. I think my rented seat was $800 for 4 hours of wheel to wheel racing. If you get your own car and some friends, after the initial setup, I'd guess weekend costs are similar. Per minute, is there any racing that's cheaper? Sure, it's a mess, but it's a fun mess and in the 100+ car field, there's lots of mini races going on. Plus the whole endurance racing aspect adds another layer of strategy.
No lemons. It's not really a competition. More of a circus. The first time I heard about it was from a nurse telling me that she was going racing in lemons. I asked her if she ever drove on a track before and the answer was a shocking NO. Sure, there will some drivers there that are legit, but playing bumper cars with people that have no clue what they are doing in cars that are falling apart doesn't appeal to me. I also have issues with letting these lemons cars practice in a DE where they are sharing the track with 100k cars.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Spent some quality time with the GT3 this weekend.
Running 19" wheels with 255/35-19 and 305/30-19 bridgestone RE71R tires.
New PB of 1:57.3 at Thunderhill over the top.
This setup works really well, IMO.
Nice work, Joe!

When you are ready to race, whatever you do, buy an already built race car.

I am nearing the end of my E36 GTS2 build and could have bought a winning Spec Boxster for what I spent. Let someone else take the financial hit.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:37 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Eric5280
Nice work, Joe!

When you are ready to race, whatever you do, buy an already built race car.

I am nearing the end of my E36 GTS2 build and could have bought a winning Spec Boxster for what I spent. Let someone else take the financial hit.
Thanks for the advice. Makes sense!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:23 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

No lemons. It's not really a competition. More of a circus. The first time I heard about it was from a nurse telling me that she was going racing in lemons. I asked her if she ever drove on a track before and the answer was a shocking NO. Sure, there will some drivers there that are legit, but playing bumper cars with people that have no clue what they are doing in cars that are falling apart doesn't appeal to me. I also have issues with letting these lemons cars practice in a DE where they are sharing the track with 100k cars.
Valid points, you're right, competition is probably the exception, rather than the rule. The top 10 is definitely competitive. I wouldn't mind any of the top 10 cars at a DE because they are generally well built, but I do worry about the "also rans" at a DE because that might include what also is about to fall off the car.

So are you going to get a trailer? I've heard of both SPB and spec911 driving to the race.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal