991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Old 01-26-2015, 06:13 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really nice driving by the way. You are fasssst!!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:21 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

Fantastic Joe !!! Keep it coming. Please post your alignment numbers. What about caster?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Also shows how good the Spyder is - a car costing twice as much is only 5 sec faster.

Drove mine to Vegas & back last weekend. Easily the best car I've ever owned! Crazy fast! Not the same rush as a Turbo S or GT2, but it's nearly as fast and handles much better. Revs so fast I agree - a manual would be tough! Even managed close to 21mpg with my wife in the car. Not so good when solo, even though I kept it under 150 most of the time.
5.7 seconds faster to be exact. LOL. I think I can spread that gap even further with some more seat time.

The funny thing is, after other guys sat in/drove the car, they all talked about selling their car to move to a 991 GT3. Whereas, I still have no desire to sell the spyder and still look forward to driving it at a future track day.

Originally Posted by MJones
Nice video!

What are the three items affixed to the front windshield if I may ask? (left, center & right)
Sure! Left is the AiM solo DL timer. Center is a new sony action camera that we were testing, but the footage wasn't used. Below the sony camera was the mount for the iphone track app (garbage). To the right was another gopro mount for a different view when I didn't use the helmet cam. I'll post more video later. More fun stuff to come!

Originally Posted by rockitman
Really nice driving by the way. You are fasssst!!!!
Thanks! Much more to learn to and improve on still!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:27 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Fantastic Joe !!! Keep it coming. Please post your alignment numbers. What about caster?
Caster was left alone, I believe.

Currently:
Front:
-2.7 camber
zero toe
Rear:
-2.4 camber
4mm total toe in

Next time will increase rear camber to -2.6 or -2.7
Old 01-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe, that was some impressive driving. You know that track pretty well. Be safe!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great driving! No that's how I call a proper break in!

Question on the AIM Solo DL. Does it work with Go Pro's or do you have to buy their cameras?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:56 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tosilog
Joe, that was some impressive driving. You know that track pretty well. Be safe!
Thanks! cantrell cage and Hans/harness next.
BTW, the LWB seats are great for track use. I had no problems with support even with the 3 point belts. I want to run the harness and hans mainly for saftey purpose.

Originally Posted by Gleek48
Great driving! No that's how I call a proper break in!

Question on the AIM Solo DL. Does it work with Go Pro's or do you have to buy their cameras?

Thanks!
I was able to get close to 1000 miles on the car before the track day. Yeah, now the car is really broken in. LOL.

The AiM system does NOT integrate with gopro. Only their smartycam system. You have to process the video and sync with data exported from AiM using software like trackvision, dashware, race render, etc.

No problems with cooling. 200F or less all day long for water temps.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:58 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

I would complain to Porsche about this and demand a refund for the cost of the worthless Track Precision App that is clearly mis-advertised if it is performing how you describe.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The track precision app -

I'm sorry to say this, but it is a totally worthless POS. Don't get it. You won't use it. Just get a Solo DL and call it a day. You can't export video. It drops out, it's buggy, and you have to push start on your phone to activate every time. To add insult to injury, the only video that it put together for me was OUT OF SYNC.

Garbage.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:01 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
I would complain to Porsche about this and demand a refund for the cost of the worthless Track Precision App that is clearly mis-advertised if it is performing how you describe.
I'm not a big complainer. I wasn't totally surprised. I should have known better. I do like my slick red clock, though.

Maybe they'll improve it with software updates in the future. I'll take a video of the video off of my phone and you can see how pathetic the sync was. Even more pathetic that I can't export the video and have to use another camera to record off the phone.....
Old 01-26-2015, 08:11 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice job!

Looks fun!

I wish I had gotten up to TH before I retired.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:39 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2) PDK-S is awesome. I don't miss my manual AT ALL. I would NOT want a manul on this car if I was driving it on track at a fast pace. Too much going on. I never even touched the paddles. Full auto mode the entire time, and it was perfect shifting every time.
What would be interesting to see is on your next track day if you were to do a session in full auto then another with manual shifting so as to compare times...Curious to see the time difference.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:44 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 996toomey
I wish I had gotten up to TH before I retired.

Heck you still can flog your Boxster!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:17 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Great collection of cars.
Nice garage and lift too!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,726 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Good stuff! My first track day with the GT3 will be in a month, so time to start getting the car ready.

Your G-meter is showing peaks of around 1.5 G, which is rather high. How does that compare with the G-meter built into the car?

The lap time delta compared to the Cayman is about what I expected for a 2-min track, and pretty huge. Translates to a delta of about 25 s at the 'ring. And of course the delta will be bigger when you have more seat time in the car. Did you run with PSM on?

Did you change the oil before tracking it?

Looking at the owner's manual and race track manual, Porsche says that the factory alignment (-1.5 cambers) is good for both the road and track, and seems to discourage changing it. And a pro racer I spoke with who has a 991 GT3 also suggested leaving the alignment at the factory settings for the track. But your cambers of about -2.5 sound more reasonable to me, based on my experience with the 997 and Cayman. Like you, I'm willing to give up a bit of grip to even out the tire wear and get more life out of them, given how expensive they are. Has anyone run the factory cambers on track? Anyone gotten tire temps? Maybe try -2.0 as a compromise?

PFC 11 pads sound good, I'm going to order them.

The hassle with the CL wheels sucks. For my first track event, wife and I will be sharing the car and logging ~10 hours of track time over 2 days, so I think we'll need to L/R flip the tires after the first day. Not looking forward to that. Anyone have any thoughts on whether these tires will last 10 track hours (~800 track miles) plus hundreds of miles driving on the road?

BTW, still waiting to hear from my dealer on what Porsche says about the passenger seat.

Last edited by Manifold; 01-27-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:19 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AiM system does NOT integrate with gopro. Only their smartycam system. You have to process the video and sync with data exported from AiM using software like trackvision, dashware, race render, etc.
So, is it pretty easy/straightforward to get the timing right from the AIM system and the go pros with the right software? I am not too tech savvy and wonder if it is a lengthy and complicated process. Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal